betting structure

• k3ntt
      k3ntt
      Basic
      Hi, i know that, this question might not be clear enough, but, how do you calculate your betting size preflop, while the bb's are in the earlystage ect...
      Hope you won't make fun of me, wanted just to know...This might be the biggest mistake what a beginner player can do, betting size...You see these sorts of bets around big tournaments alot online... like, when the blinds are 150sb - 300bb

PokerStars Hand #94418962820: Tournament #708010444, $100+$9 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XII (150/300) - 2013/02/21 22:06:21 EET [2013/02/21 15:06:21 ET]
      Table '708010444 2' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
      Seat 1: random_chu (8610 in chips)
      Seat 2: bartek901 (11850 in chips)
      Seat 3: pentrupariur (8926 in chips)
      Seat 4: harddecision (12944 in chips)
      Seat 5: FuguOO7 (2355 in chips)
      Seat 6: SBGstyle (6470 in chips)
      Seat 7: SirRazvy (10206 in chips)
      Seat 8: srxakgirona (4170 in chips)
      Seat 9: Zé Lunar (6879 in chips)
      random_chu: posts the ante 40
      bartek901: posts the ante 40
      pentrupariur: posts the ante 40
      harddecision: posts the ante 40
      FuguOO7: posts the ante 40
      SBGstyle: posts the ante 40
      SirRazvy: posts the ante 40
      srxakgirona: posts the ante 40
      Zé Lunar: posts the ante 40
      Zé Lunar: posts small blind 150
      random_chu: posts big blind 300
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      bartek901: folds
      pentrupariur: folds
      harddecision: folds
      FuguOO7: folds
      SBGstyle: raises 360 to 660
      SirRazvy: folds
      srxakgirona: folds
      Zé Lunar: folds
      random_chu: folds
      Uncalled bet (360) returned to SBGstyle
      SBGstyle collected 1110 from pot
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot 1110 | Rake 0
  • 10 replies
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi k3ntt

Just to say I moved your thread to the MTT forums.

I don't know anything about MTT's but I'm sure some ppl here will help you out!

Regards

RasTweet
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      If you are a beginner I really don't think you should be playing $109 tournaments?!
    • k3ntt
      k3ntt
      Basic
      it wasnt a tournament, just an example, how do they do these preflop raises? is it stealing r what?
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Well it was a tournament example and thats why I moved it here.

Tournaments and cash games differ a lot. What do you want to know? Do you want to know about tournaments or cashgames? I can still move the thread around :D

Regards

RasTweet
    • k3ntt
      k3ntt
      Basic
      lol, wanted to know about tournaments, and preflop plays... :D i'm well new to poker, or it's forums :D
    • k3ntt
      k3ntt
      Basic
      any, good and simple learning, or practise places would of be great, if you would like to send them in english (wich is not the best opinion in my views due to it's not my mother languange) i can re- search a webpage, what is in estonian. we have loads of them, but, i do not exactly know where to start from...i know the basic starting hands, positionings ect...

regards to you! :D
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hey k3ntt and welcome to the tournament strategy forum :)

Your question is not an easy one to answer. I will try to deliver as many details as possible. Everything that is said is balanced for standard tournament structures at pokerstars (and most other sites as well - though some have tricky structures that are not covered).

Blinds up to 20/40:
      If you are early in a tournament you should normally raise between 3 and 4 BigBlinds. In deepstacked tournaments you can raise such an amount up to blinds of 50/100.

Blinds up to 50/100:
      Beginning with 20/40 you should decrease your betsizing bit by bit. When reaching 50/100 it should be at ~2,5BB at maximum.

Blinds up to 250/500:
      Most players will reduce their betsizing to 2,xxBB with xx being a very small amount (e.g. 2,08BB). At Pokerstars you can configure your settings so that you only have to push a button to get the amount you want.

Blinds >250/500:
      Most regulars will only open raise 2BB. Higher open raises won't give you a much higher fold equity. Therefore they are less profitable when it comes to steals. In micro and low limit tournaments it might make sense to stick with 2,xxBB. You shouldn't alter your betsizing depending on your cards - it would allow your opponents to build up reads on your plays.

If you have any further question feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • k3ntt
      k3ntt
      Basic
      thats exactly what i meant...but what about above the blinds when they are 250/500? do they keep their raises the same, +2 bbs? i usually sit around and wait for the bbs to check around if i do not have anything good...i raised 20/40 bbs to 4 bbs preflop...guess it was right then lol :D and postflop (if i got that right) tried not to raise over the pot... let the blinds do the work and software other... :P and, if there, is more then 4 players gone all- in, i fold, because, it's too much to take the risk and call...unless you do not have KK- AA ect...
    • k3ntt
      k3ntt
      Basic
      thank you, for this usefull info....now i know where to look from what i need to know Justsayin....
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Regarding postflop play:
      In most scenarios you should raise less then half potsize. Sometimes as little as 1/3 potsize.

If there are draws possible (especially flushdraws) you may consider betting 2/3 of the pot or slightly higher - but his isn't the standard.

I already wrote about what to do when the blinds are higher then 250/500. It's the last column of my first post.

Again: If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban