TURN ($6.74) J:spade: 9:diamond: 9:club: 4:club:

SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $3.70, SB folds, UTG+1 calls $3.70

RIVER ($14.14) J:spade: 9:diamond: 9:club: 4:club: 5:club:

UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $9.90, UTG+1 folds

Hero shows K:club: Q:club:

Hero wins $13.44

UTG+1:

SB: 49/32/1.1 66h

call bet from fish because I would need 16 in the pot - there is 5, so if hit need 11 to win. There are 2 players with bigger than 100 bb stacks, so I hope I can win that 11 on average. They can have 9x and Jx and fish with Jx is paying well. Plus I have backdor FD and overcards.

ON the turn I am not sure actually if my bet is good. Its 3way so some of them really can have Jx at least and I think they are never folding it. So could check and not waste money.

Is river sizing ok? with Jx he is now having tough time in callng, I look really strong. But if he has 9x he should still call. BUt not many 9x in MP range, especially when he is tight from MP. So smaller sizing needed to target Jx?
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Heyo,

On the flop you face quite a large bet so calling there is quite marginal in my view, especially when UTG is the type to often bet. That said, you can credibly represent many hands here imo. Calling is fine in that case, planning on winning it on later streets.

When SB and UTG check they no longer have 9x or better in their range imo and probably not a good Jx either. This being the case my plan would be to bet twice when I improve or blanks come. Blanks are quite often seen because they usually have some A highs that can't call down either. Basically, both their ranges are very capped and will always have a hard time calling down. Whatever hand you deemed good enough of a draw to call on the flop I would personally now bet the turn with and shove close to 100% of rivers.. I wouldn't shove 9, J.. Maybe not K or Q either because it's too thin for value but apart from that bluffing or vbetting should work often enough.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Silver
      I was not planning to shove river, its interesting. We have to make Jx fold, but we cannot be sure if they fold, especially the fish if he is at the river.

And also if there are 2 players on the river, then I don't believe there is much fold equity. Probably you were talking in case there is one player on river.

Still they might be slowplaying 9x, so thats why I am not huge fan of betting river as bluff.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      What do you expect them to fold on that turn though? I think they mostly fold very weak hands. On the river you still have 9x in your range and some strong Jx, plus FH ofc. Most 9x combos in their range would bet the turn so the only slowplay that makes sense is boat or better. You are dead against that anyway. I think on the river you still make middle pairs and weak Jx fold. Those hands rarely fold on the turn. If you are not preparing a bluff it makes more sense to check the turn with your good equity when lacking folding equity.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Silver
      What do you expect them to fold on that turn though?

I think for the reg it can be a tough call even with AJ, but still probably he calls. But KJ he should be folding I think. MIdpairs reg should also fold on turn. He should not expect too many bluffs from me there. ANd my preflop range does not have KJ, so there PPs and AJ. KQ also - which is bluff now, but probably thats it.

He could be calling flop and turn with QT, but I beat it anyway.

Fish can be calling with any jack and TT, maybe 88, 77. So if fish has those on the river, he should should fold to a shove. BUt I don't think fish wil fold Jx, but depends on kicker.

Actually not much 9x I can have in my range. Its 99, because I am not calling w A9s vs tight open.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      UTG bets Jx on the turn so he doesn't have that in his range that often. Not a strong Jx like AJ anyway. His Jx range will be stuff like JTs, QJs, KJ sometimes plus TT, 88 imo. Those don't fold very often to your turn bet imo. You don't represent much strength. You have 4 strong hand combos in your range and you can be perceived to have some 9x but you raise flop with that some of the time imo. The only way to actually represent all those value hands is to bet turn and river. If you only bet turn it's an easy turn call for them with any bluffcatcher because you give up very often on the river in a spot with few value combos in your range. Apart from that when they check they cap their range quite hard so they will have close to 0 calling hands on the river.