The Pursuit of Happiness

• Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      :spade: Hey fellas! :heart:
      I finally feel that it's indeed time for me to create a blog on your part of the forums, so here I am. It's been awhile since I've written anything partly because it's been awhile since I've actually had any kind of motivation to do it.
      However, I believe that I need somewhere to vent some thoughts and questions I have about poker, and life in some sense. This blog won't be for you guys, atleast not to start with, it'll be a place where I can get some of these thoughts I have out in the open, and if you guys happen to enjoy it then that's really +ev. :s_grin:

:spade: Who am I? :heart:
      My name is Christian, I've now amassed 22 years of life and I can't wait to see where the next couple of years lead me. I live in Sweden and as many of us, I have a j.o.b, working 30h/week and when I'm free I work to focus my mind towards my dreams, in this stage of my life poker. I've got big dreams and hopes, but I'm your standard underachiever - I'm trying to change the underachieving part, with all of my essence, which leads us to why I play.

Poker, for me, is about freedom. The pursuit of happiness. Like when you first moved out from your parents, you felt, or atleast I did, a feeling of freedom and hope, but it's also frightening - I feel exactly like that when working. People in high places missing the big picture, focusing on the wrong things and eventually it ends up affecting me and I can't do shit about it, that's not cool. So, poker is my way of "moving out" yet another time. I simply won't accept failure here. This is my ticket out of the gutter(such dramaqueen), haha. It's time to start achieving things, I really feel like I owe it to myself more than anything and I know I have the juice to pull it off.

:spade: My story :heart:
      I started playing poker when I was younger, around 16-17. Me and some of my friends had seen the pokershows so we decided to throw together a homegame. One homegame lead to another, and obviously, I was hooked. Since that time this has been my dream. I didn't even know it until much later, but poker's always been on my mind, in one way or another.
      After I had some very modest success in live poker, variance more than anything, I put $10 into SvenskaSpel(Swedish betting/pokersite). Ofcourse, at this time I had no idea about anything related to pokertheory. I probably still thought poker was like on TV, big pots every 5 hands. So I busted my roll, having run it up to $60, all on one table ofcourse, I lost with a straight to a full house - And god did I think I was the unluckiest fellah in the world, yup! Thankfully, at some point I found you guys and started reading everything I could get my hands on, pretty much. I remember making plans on going pro playing SSS with absolutely no experience, haha, ignorance is blizz! I did have some success as an SSS-player so I switched to BSS(never saw the pros playing with half a BI, duh) went on a "downswing" and sort of gave up(I used to be the worst fking quitter ever). After awhile, poker lured me back, and I decided on the great idea of risking 1/5 of my stack playing an $11 Superstack tournament - I came second, lady luck giving me alot of love, earning $2850 - After that win, I never looked back, haha. I knew nothing would ever feel as amazing as that did.

After that I started grinding tournaments on FTP & Stars, managed to learn the game without busting the roll, and then continued to cash alittle over 6-7k - It felt great. Then life happened, I screwed myself into a mighty horrific situation school-wise(studying at the university at this time)and I had to cash out my roll to continue living. It really hit me hard and made me think about what I was doing with my life, I guess the cliché version of it is called The turning point.

I decided to go ahead and get myself a job instead, work for alittlewhile and see if that's more to my liking. After just a modest year of working I now realize that I needed to do that to be able to see the whole picture, to help me analyze the situation properly and make a good decision for myself - Poker is my decision so now I'm back grinding again.

:spade: And now.. :heart:
      I got my 1350$ roll back from FTP, started grinding out the rush NL25 tables running 6bb/100(rakeback adjusted) winner over 43k/hands and taking stabs on NL50. I've taken 3 stabs so far, but afraid I've been running both bad and worse, but there may also be some tilt from the 4BI stoploss being in the back of my mind.
      The plan is to hit NL50 as soon as possible and be a reg at NL100 before august, winning at 5bb/100 over a large sample - leaving the door open for me to decide whether or not poker is something I want to do for a living.

I hope you enjoyed the wall of text, I'll be posting whatever I feel like relating to poker and life in general, so talk to you guys soon! =)

:spade: Goals 2013 :heart:
      :diamond: Reach NL100 and reg it. :club:
      - To get there I've set up a few pointers. I need around 30BIs on NL50 to get there in good fashion, so I decided to count myself as a 2,5bb winner without any hope of improving over the year, just to measure the amount of hands I need to play. 2,5bb/100 = 4000hands equals 1 buy in. I'll have to play 120'000hands(+- standard variance) to reach NL100 before the end of the year. 120'000/9(months left) = 13333hands/month. That's nothing.
      -Atleast 1500hands/day = 10500/week.

:diamond: Explore the possibilities of living and playing outside of Sweden :club:
      - Where do I want to live and whats important?
      Took down some key things I find important, I'd love it if you'd add to that list. Internet, economy, climate, living conditions, housing, possibility of moving in with other poker players.

:diamond: Continue and finish "Skyrocketing your Poker Productivity" :club:
      - I'm on part 6, but that shit is hard work! I am certain it will completly change my life though, and probably anybody who adapts it.

:diamond: Get a drivers license :club:
      - Really been beating around this bush, haha. I've got the expenses for it down, so I just need to get my lazy ass over there and start. Entered a wager with a colleague earlier, whoever doesn't have a drivers license by the end of September gets...(being discussed).

:diamond: Become a 80kg man :club:
      - I've got some issues putting on weight, wierdest ever, but I'm sick of it so time to work out, eat well and gain around 15kg of weight before the end of the year.
      - Eat atleast 5 times/day, reach min 2000kcal/day.
      - Workout(gym) atleast 2 times/week.
  • 16 replies
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      I'll be throwing up some lifegoals and pokergoals later aswell, I've got them written down in a notebook I can't find.. ;>
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Well well, welcome to blogs Christian; where have you been hiding!? :D

You seem to have a plan that suits you so I hope it goes well. I for one wouldn't be comfortable playing poker for a living, I lack the commitment, but I would like to be good enough to have the option. Each to their own as they say. :)

Good luck with the blog and ridding yourself of the underachieving label.

Mal.
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Well well, welcome to blogs Christian; where have you been hiding!? :D

You seem to have a plan that suits you so I hope it goes well. I for one wouldn't be comfortable playing poker for a living, I lack the commitment, but I would like to be good enough to have the option. Each to their own as they say. :)

Good luck with the blog and ridding yourself of the underachieving label.

Mal.
      Haha, I've been hiding over at the Swedish forum actually, kept a blog for awhile but it cooled off, so for the relaunch I thought the English forum would be nice since there's alot more people here. :tongue:

Indeed, nothing is for everybody - What's your line of work, if I may ask?

Thank you, haha, it's a nasty label to have! Good luck at the tables.
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Another day, another shot at NL50. Took a stab last night, just played 500-700 hands over 2-3 tables of rush, it went pretty well, played good but got hit by some beats by the end of the session, I'm hoping today will be different.

Any tips for when taking stabs people? I'm realizing it might be effecting my game in a negative way.
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Gonna take a stab now, but decided it's going to be for 10bis, that's 500 bucks. If I were to lose it, which I do see as very unlikely, it would leave my roll at $1000 and I'd still be good for NL25. I think it'll help me to "let go" if you will, and just play, rather than stab.

550 hands, -$50. No biggie, ran into some.. unusual spots. Gonna play the Cool Million later tonight, only playing that tournament though so I'll be hitting nl50 meanwhile.
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Anybody watching MMA? If so, check out Ronda Rousey vs Liz Carmouch, the event is good but the main event is great.

Continued on NL50 this morning, I'm not sure how it went but probably in the green right now. It feels like NL25, that's for sure, the big pots just feels alittle more in your soul, haha.

Gonna go over some hands later and I thought I'd share some of them with you, I'll update this post most likely, later fellas.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I found the same problem when I moved up, even from nl4 to nl10 it felt a big jump in the size of the pots.
      The way I got over it was is to get used to playing [and thinking] in big blinds. That way, a raise is still 3 big blinds and a 3bet is still 10 or 11 big blinds, or whatever size you use no matter the limit.

Have fun,

Mal.

P.S. I used to be a math teacher but no more.
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Originally posted by gadget51
      I found the same problem when I moved up, even from nl4 to nl10 it felt a big jump in the size of the pots.
      The way I got over it was is to get used to playing [and thinking] in big blinds. That way, a raise is still 3 big blinds and a 3bet is still 10 or 11 big blinds, or whatever size you use no matter the limit.

Have fun,

Mal.

P.S. I used to be a math teacher but no more.
      Mhm, that'll take some work to really get it into my backbone, but sounds really +ev, thanks. I'm kinda looking at the money the pots are worth, I know that's playing with fire, but it's soo tempting!
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Some hands from the last session. Roll is on $1730 and for the moment I'm safe at NL50. I've been running good and playing pretty well, not fantastic, but not bad at all.

In this hand I didn't have to do much, he did all the heavy lifting, haha. :club:

$0.25/$0.50 No Limit Holdem
      FullTiltPoker
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG 896883 ($43.50) 87bb
      UTG+1 sharde1 ($30.35) 61bb
      CO Guthan ($127.80) 256bb
      BTN HateAA ($89.05) 178bb
      SB EmperorZurg1 ($69.05) 138bb
      BB MATYSU ($41.60) 83bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Guthan is CO A:heart: A:club:
      2 folds, Guthan raises to $1.25, HateAA raises to $4.50, 2 folds, Guthan raises to $11, HateAA calls $6.50

Flop: K:diamond: 6:club: 10:club: ($22.75, 2 players)
      Guthan bets $13.65, HateAA calls $13.65

Turn: 4:club: ($50.05, 2 players)
      Guthan bets $25, HateAA goes all-in $64.40, Guthan calls $39.40

River: 9:club: ($178.85, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $178.85
      Guthan shows a flush, Ace high
      A:heart: A:club:
      HateAA shows a pair of Tens
      10:heart: Q:heart:

Guthan wins $175.85 (net +$86.80)

HateAA lost $89.05

The power of position. :club: - I wanted to get this guy to either bet his bluffs or call with his QQ/JJ/1010 type hands, therefor I check behind turn - I don't see him having any of the flush here, expecting him to bet his draws after I show weakness - I get lucky and he bets the worst hand.

FullTiltPoker
      6 Players

Stacks:
      UTG Guthan ($93.40) 187bb
      UTG+1 Nderakore ($31.05) 62bb
      CO MATYSU ($38.10) 76bb
      BTN EmperorZurg1 ($54.45) 109bb
      SB GambleLoose ($78) 156bb
      BB jaxx23 ($54.70) 109bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Guthan is UTG K:club: K:spade:
      Guthan raises to $1.50, 3 folds, GambleLoose raises to $5, 1 fold, Guthan raises to $12, GambleLoose calls $7

Flop: 5:heart: 5:spade: A:heart: ($24.50, 2 players)
      GambleLoose checks, Guthan checks

Turn: 3:diamond: ($24.50, 2 players)
      GambleLoose checks, Guthan checks

River: 3:heart: ($24.50, 2 players)
      GambleLoose bets $24.50, Guthan calls $24.50

Final Pot: $73.50
      Guthan shows two pair, Kings and Fives
      K:club: K:spade:
      GambleLoose shows
      7:diamond: 7:heart:

Guthan wins $70.50 (net +$34)

GambleLoose lost $36.50

And I'll leave you with a question :club:
      I've been feeling lately that I'm kinda cbetting into the blue in 3bet pots(I get into alot of those playing rather lagish), whats a general rule of thumb for cbeting those types of pots? I'm thinking in terms of their range, what they would call 3bets with, but it differs alot, and when taking stabs you really don't have the stats to deal with the problem, what do you do? 3bet less perhaps, even though it's so profitable in rush?
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Got foodpoisioned, been recovering, gonna hit the tables tomorrow or whenever I feel good again. Anybody got an answer on my last question?
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Back from work, 8.45-15.00 today, very relaxing. And jeeesus I'm so glad the sun is finally back and shining in Sweden, it really helps alot in the mornings.

Gonna grab a banana and start a session, got 3 planned for today, for a total of four hours of play, lets rock n roll!
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Sick session. I'm certain I went in green for the day, 1500hands, 141minutes of play with a break in between, doing some dishes. Played my best poker in quite awhile, I certainly ran good aswell, but when it comes to effecting what you can I did great, so that feels nice.

I also managed to get a quick workout after the J.O.B, really helped my energy-levels pre-pokersession, quite amazing. I'll post some hands for you!

In this hand villain really isolated his range to JJ & AJ, which is a very slim range to fold to, but what really hooked me was his sizing on turn, doesn't look like a jack, right?
      FullTiltPoker
      6 Players

Stacks:
      UTG Tha-Limp-Pimp ($100.55) 201bb
      UTG+1 Guthan ($128.50) 257bb
      CO DiggerSlim ($57.95) 116bb
      BTN timby2390 ($123.45) 247bb
      SB PennyRoyalLee ($100.70) 201bb
      BB TheKingFisher1 ($52.95) 106bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Guthan is UTG+1 4:club: A:club:
      1 fold, Guthan raises to $1.50, 3 folds, TheKingFisher1 raises to $4.50, Guthan calls $3

Flop: A:diamond: 10:heart: K:club: ($9.25, 2 players)
      TheKingFisher1 bets $5, Guthan calls $5

Turn: Q:heart: ($19.25, 2 players)
      TheKingFisher1 bets $12.50, Guthan calls $12.50

River: 2:spade: ($44.25, 2 players)
      TheKingFisher1 goes all-in $30.95, Guthan calls $30.95

Final Pot: $106.15
      TheKingFisher1 shows
      K:diamond: 9:club:
      Guthan shows a pair of Aces
      4:club: A:club:

Guthan wins $103.15 (net +$50.20)

TheKingFisher1 lost $52.95

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gah, was looking for more hands but I'm afraid I can't mark hands while playing, which makes it retardedhard to find later. Noherohudrush RAAAR..

Anyways, gonna relax before bed, have a nice night everybody! =)
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Had a 3h session yesterday, 2200 hands. I played B-game, which I am fine with, but unfortunately I lost a couple of buyins but remained cool in the biggest pots of my life, so it still feels great. NL50 is really becoming my go-to-stake, but I can't help thinking about crushing NL100 :s_cool:

I'm closing in on Diamond status, which gives me the possibility of purchasing the $250 bonus, I just need 6k more FPPs which equals a couple of days playing. After I grinded that out I think I'm going to Pokerstars, alot more activity and probably fish, even though FTP actually has a good fish/shark ratio imo, atleast at rush. I should be able to grind out a better rakebacklevel over at Pokerstars, and they've got lower rake overall so, win/win I suppose.

I'd post you guys some hands, but it'll have to wait, I'll edit later. I need to eat and then it's time to parrtteeeyh - More poker tomorrow fellas, have an awesome night! :]
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      It surely took awhile, but found a phat leak in my game. 1,29 river call efficiency - lol. Got so tilted the other day when playing horrible and running bad at that, I felt a leak, so time to fix it.

*Good folds over good calls
      *Focus on big river bets, think about them for another couple of seconds.
      *Be alot less confident with TPGK+ vs big riverbets.

I think I might just be overadjusting on rush. I 3bet and bluff alot so when I actually have something I get this feeling that they're adjusting to me, so I suppose I overreadjust and start calling off alot lighter, even though this obviously is a moneydrain. It does however feel great to find another leak, I know it'll increase my winrate dramaticly, and the sooner I find these leaks the sooner I can stop losing $ on 'em. Gonna grab some dinner then start some tables, afraid I've only slept 4h/night the last two nights, so I'm pretty drained, but I'll watch out for signs of sucking.

I've got some hands for you guys, I'll recap after the session and post 'em, however you'll also find them on the hand-eval. forum, as this blog is alittle dead atm! :s_confused:
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Hey guys,

Running bad & because of it playing rather weak I've exposed some weaknesses in my game, which is great in the longhaul. First of I'd like to ask what you guys do in this kinda spot?

It feels like they always(a very big part of their range for making such a play) show up with trips or twopair, rather then flushdraws(AKs and the likes). They seem to rather call these down, but that leaves me with the question, how am I supposed to play this?
      He's a relatively tight guy over a small sample.

FullTiltPoker
      6 Players

Stacks:
      UTG mihael48 ($51.50) 103bb
      UTG+1 manubis ($74.25) 149bb
      CO Guthan ($202.90) 406bb
      BTN ganondorf89 ($51.65) 103bb
      SB tortuegeniale82 ($168.95) 338bb
      BB spurveystornado ($2.95) 6bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Guthan is CO Q:club: Q:heart:
      2 folds, Guthan raises to $1.25, ganondorf89 calls $1.25, 1 fold, spurveystornado goes all-in $2.95, Guthan calls $1.70, ganondorf89 calls $1.70

Flop: J:heart: 6:heart: 9:club: ($9.10, 3 players, 1 all-in)
      Guthan bets $4.55, ganondorf89 raises to $12,
      Guthan goes all-in $199.95, ganondorf89 goes all-in $36.70

Turn: 8:heart: ($106.50, 3 players, 3 all-in)

River: 5:spade: ($106.50, 3 players, 3 all-in)

Final Pot: $106.50
      Guthan shows a pair of Queens
      Q:club: Q:heart:
      ganondorf89 shows three of a kind, Sixes
      6:spade: 6:diamond:
      spurveystornado shows a pair of Threes
      3:club: 3:spade:

ganondorf89 wins $103.50 (net +$51.85)

Guthan collects $151.25 (net -$51.65)
      spurveystornado lost $2.95
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Been running very poorly and had some leaks, gonna take a stroll down to NL25 tomorrow. Roll is kinda suffering so I might aswell, it'll feel good playing alittle lower anyway, if the run continues. Soon done with my 250$ bonus and then I can leave FTP for Stars - That fking FTP timebank is more tilting then running bad, but those combined really makes for an excellent mental challenge each and every game, haha.

I've bought a whiteboard and scribbled loads of poker-pro thoughs, helps to start every morning looking at that thing, it seems to work very well against tilt, since tilt is mostly because you lose shortterm, this gives me back the longterm perspective.

Grind it out fellas - I know I will. :heart: