Crushing ZOOM: NL2 to NL100 in a year?

• MrNeef
      MrNeef
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

Most of you probably won't know me. I only have been semi-active on the Dutch forum, but I will be active on the English forum aswell from now on.

I am not an expert, never have shipped anything huge, nor played higher than NL25. The past few weeks I have been watching video's, reading all articles, playing with play-money and today I made a deposit of €10 (about $14).

Due to a lack of money I can not deposit more before March, however, I am planning to build my bankroll out of this small deposit. 7 buy-ins is not enough according to a good BRM - but I believe the micro stakes are fairly easy to beat. :f_biggrin:

I am playing two tables 6-max ZOOM on pokerstars. I will play NL2 until I;

1) Acquire a BR of at least $100 or
      2) Feel I really crush the micro stakes (steady 15bb/100 or higher) and start taking shots - 5 buyins - at $75

Greetings,

MrNeef :f_cool:
  • 22 replies
    • MrNeef
      MrNeef
      Bronze
      First session was wonderful today. I guess friday nights really are fishy! Red line seems okay to me, don't think it will get a lot better at the micro stakes.

• ionutd
      ionutd
      Bronze
      Hey, nice to meet you and good luck with it all.

Can I just say, right now, stop looking at and worrying about your red line and don't check how much you're up every session. The least you check your cashier, the better you will mentally be. Play with a very comfortable br and don't worry about scratch.
    • MrNeef
      MrNeef
      Bronze
      Thanks!

You're probably right about checking the cashier - and probably right about the red line aswell. I guess it will be important at higher stakes.

However, I am very pleased by getting from +/- 6 BI to over 13 BI. Now I can take a hit or two without worrying about making another deposit.
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Hey good luck crushing the micros. Nice to see that your first session went well and that you now have a safer BR to fall back on. Are you really going to be taking shots at 5BIs? That's pretty crazy.
    • MrNeef
      MrNeef
      Bronze
      Thanks for the kind words! It is much appreciated.

I ment 5 buyins of NL5 which is $25. If I fall back to $50 from $75 I will grind myself $25 on NL2 again - and take another shot at NL5 until I can stay there.
    • MrNeef
      MrNeef
      Bronze
      Just finished my first session today. Didn't have a lot of time, so I only have been playing about 500 hands. Two buy-ins up, feels good man. :f_cool:

Made myself a few promises today;

:spade: I will not move up to NL5 before I have an average 15bb/100 over a 25K+ sample.
      :heart: Play at least 1000 hands/day. Preferably 2000.
      :diamond: Mark hands and post them in the hand reviewing forum.
      :club: No more all-in pushing with questionable hands such as JJ/QQ/AK preflop vs 100bb+ stack.

Current bb/100 is 39. It feels great to run this hot - never experienced this before. :f_biggrin:
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Hey just checking back in again, glad its going well. Just thinking: why set yourself such a high standard to leave NL5? 15bb/100 is a crazy high for a decent sample (which to be of any worth must really be 150k+ hands) btw. I don't think there would be any reason for you to stay in NL5 until you hit this, since the game play at NL10 isn't much different and you'd be growing your roll faster just playing/learning there (it is just as easy to crush). Just follow good BRM and work your way up -- you'll learn everything you need to know along the way.
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      I think 15bb/100 is so high, that it might not even be realistically possible.. Plus you're playing a ZOOM, where you are basically sacrificing winrate to get more hands per hour.. I'm not sure if 15bb/100 is achievable at ring tables, let alone zoom..

I really suggest you to change your goals, otherwise who knows when you'll move up to NL5..

Just a friendly advice, I'm not disrespecting you in any way, and would actually like you to prove me wrong and show me a winrate of +15bb/100 over a big sample size, it's just I think you're better off moving to NL5 when you have enough of a bankroll and are ready to move up.

Good luck! :f_thumbsup:
    • MrNeef
      MrNeef
      Bronze
      Thanks guys, I realise I am pushing myself too much. 15bb/100 should be possible at these stakes though. Had another solid session today.

At start I got beaten by sets over my two pair, went preflop all-in with AA and lost against 44... BUT! I managed to keep my head cool, a few weeks ago I probably would've pushed all-in with every okay hand I got dealt. But I managed to end the session with profit.

NL5 is approaching really fast now, I hope my hot run will proceed there :f_biggrin:
    • MrNeef
      MrNeef
      Bronze
      Just played a regular session of ten NL2 tables. I took some tables with high plr/flop and avg/pot percentages and managed to get almost 4.5 BI in about 350 hands. Managed to keep playing my tight game while al fishes went all-in with J3o, etc.

BB/100 over 125 :f_cool:

I also cleared my stellar reward of $10. Just a few more BI to take a shot on NL5. Just a few FPP's left and I'll get myself some T$.
    • MrNeef
      MrNeef
      Bronze
      Time to play NL5! :f_cool:

Dear Goocheltruc,

You finished the tournament in 2nd place. A USD 82.08 award has been credited to your Real Money account.
    • MrNeef
      MrNeef
      Bronze
      Started out with two tables of NL5 today, doesn't seem much different than NL2 for now. About 4 BI up, bankroll is close to $200 now - once I reach $250 i will take 5 tries on NL10.

Things are going really well!
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      I really suggest not to skip nl5 but stay there for a week or two. Blind vs blind/BU play becomes way more agressive on nl10 and i think its more safe to practice a bit that were its softer- nl5...
    • MrNeef
      MrNeef
      Bronze
      @Vuciitis

Thanks for your advice. I still am a little bit below $200, which means I need to grind about 12 more buyins on NL5. I will play some NL10 once I reach $250 - so I can feel the difference between these limits. Once I get back to $200 I will grind NL5 until I reach $250 again. This way, I will get 'used' to NL10 without destroying my bankroll.
    • MrNeef
      MrNeef
      Bronze
      Went fairly quick through NL5 thanks to the $80 I shipped with T$.

First session NL10 went well, not too different compared to NL5. 4 buyins of profit over 1k hands - feels good man... feels good! :f_cool:

• Mat55
      Mat55
      Bronze
      Great blog!

You are running great and you are giving me motivation to actually start trying now, and try to build my bankroll. I am usually just playing stupid stuff instead of sticking to one thing.

One question, you are playing zoom correct? How are you playing with 10 tables? I thought the maximum was 4 on zoom, or atleast I thought so.

Keep updating this regularly! I will need the motivation :f_p:
    • MrNeef
      MrNeef
      Bronze
      @Mat55,

Thanks for the kind words, comments like yours motivate me a lot!

I normally play zoom, two or three tables. When I move to a new limit I start with 2 until I feel comfortable enough to open another. However, sometimes I feel like playing regular shorthanded tables.

Thanks again for the nice words! I highly recommend you to start a blog aswell. It is really motivating, especially when people show interest in your blog.
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      +1 keep it up
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Well played! Keep up the good run, but be prepared for the swings man, they'll come when one least expects it, haha! Good luck!