[NL20-NL50] NL25 Zoom, AA vs action in 3bet pot

• batmanbatmanbatman
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $24.02 (96.1 bb)
      SB: $36.07 (144.3 bb)
      BB: $13.25 (53 bb)
      UTG: $85.16 (340.6 bb)
      MP: $29.82 (119.3 bb)
      Hero (CO): $29.86 (119.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A A
      UTG raises to $0.75, MP folds, Hero raises to $2.25, BTN calls $2.25, 2 folds, UTG calls $1.50

Flop: ($7.10) T 8 6 (3 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $3.25, BTN calls $3.25, UTG raises to $10, Hero folds, BTN calls $6.75

Turn: ($30.35) 5 (2 players)
      UTG bets $72.91 and is all-in, BTN calls $11.77 and is all-in

River: ($53.89) 2 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

$53.89 pot ($2.00 rake)
      Final Board: T 8 6 5 2
      BTN showed 3 4 and won $51.89 ($27.87 net)
      UTG showed 6 6 and lost (-$24.02 net)

UTG - seems fish, small sample(~50 hands). I think tipically opponents tend to close the action here if they have a weak draw rather than raise. So he should be either on a set/2 pair type or on a strong draw(fd+1pair or fd+gutshot).
      BU - fish aggro post(>40% afr all streets), 76% call vs 3bet so he must be rather wide here. I think he has the sets in his range when he calls on this flop because aggro fish tend to slowplay hands they see as monsters.

Easy laydown? Please also comment on my assumptions, I am curios if your impression of opponents' generic tendencies is the same with mine.
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      Hey batmanbatmanbatman,

Preflop 3bet for value is great.

I would cbet the flop for value/protection. Usually when UTG c/r into two players he has 2pair/set/straight. I agree that he'd probably just call with a draw or pair+draw type stuff.

I think most of the time BTN has a draw and would raise with a set, even if he is a fish, especially since he is up against 2 opponents and board is drawy.

Good fold to turn c/r imo.
    • batmanbatmanbatman
      Hey w34z3l,

Thank you for your answer.

You must mean 'good fold to flop c/r ' on your last line, right?

I have a follow-up question to that hand, this time regarding the flop bet-size and also regarding our turn action in case we get called by 1 or both opponents.

The reason for which I bet don't bet big is that I don't know how to play the turn with that spr in case one calls(most likely) and the turn is :diamond: or 7-9-J-Q-K, which is about 50% of the possible turn cards. Shoving the turn for about pot size seems wrong because I feel I get called by a range vs which I am behind.

So I think that betting big on the flop and shoving the turn is fine, but only because of the dead money that would be in. I don't think that would be the max EV line, vs these players.

Am I wrong?
    • w34z3l
      Fold to flop c/r I meant, yes, sorry.

You would have to bet around pot on the flop to set up a pot sized bet on turn (vs UTG, smaller vs BTN). I wouldn't pot it here though, because you want to get called by pair+gutshot type stuff.

I would definitely bet a little bigger though, maybe $4.50-$5, but given the SPR I don't think there is a convenient way for you to divide your stack and get all the money in by the turn.

Betting big and shoving the turn "because of the dead money" is only a correct thought process in situations where you are bluffing. In spots where you are value betting any dead money is irrelevant. Your goal is only for your opponents calling range to consist of worse hands over 50% of the time.

Having said that I don't think potting the flop and shoving the turn would be a huge spew or anything - you should expect villains to raise 2pair or better on this board texture, so their flatting range consists primarily of draws.

If the turn does come a I'd probably just check and play according to pot odds. If turn comes 9/7 I'd probably check and hope to get to showdown. J/K/Q are probably still safe enough for you to bet turn for value imo.