[NL20-NL50] 25shz QJs SB

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $43.28 (173.1 bb)
      Hero (SB): $25 (100 bb)
      BB: $24.41 (97.6 bb)
      UTG: $25.87 (103.5 bb)
      MP: $66.63 (266.5 bb)
      CO: $25 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J Q
      UTG calls $0.25, 2 folds, BTN raises to $0.62, Hero raises to $2, 2 folds, BTN calls $1.38

Flop: ($4.50) 3 7 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.55, BTN calls $2.55

Turn: ($9.60) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.54, BTN calls $4.54

River: ($18.68) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $8.92, Hero folds

Results:
      $18.68 pot ($1.02 rake)
      Final Board: 3 7 8 9 7
      BTN mucked and won $17.66 ($8.57 net)
      Hero mucked J Q and lost (-$9.09 net)

VPIP: 45, PFR: 34, 3B: 6, AF: 3,8, Hands: 186

PF is tricky.
      He has a huge stealing range (62) and yeah I know this is no steal but a limp from UTG and a 2.5x R from BU tells me he didn't even notice that.
      Either way BU PFR is 33, so still big range.

On the SB I have a value hand against him but also speculative.
      In these cases I'm never sure on what to do because if I raise I could be happy that he folds (fold to 3Bet 79), and pretty ok if he calls (but not too much) as I still have a speculative hand and I can always pot control in case I get TPs and the like, but not so well given OOP.
      If I call it's definitely better for value but at the same time I find myself OOP with a speculative/semi-value hand, which I hate, strongly, and there's also the danger of the CC from BB (no squeeze danger tho from current BB).

In this case I opt for a Raise given the bad player he is, and the low WTSD he has (17).

He calls my 3Bet, and my CBet bluff at this point I think is wrong, as his range after calling 3Bet is not too wide, and I don't have much equity except for a very unlikely BD straight.

On turn I carry on my mistake in the hope he folds with his low WTSD but well after calling turn too, I'm doomed.
  • 3 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      What is his fold to cb on the flop in 3betpot?

While he appears to fold to 3bet a lot pre flop he still has a wide range because of his wide button open. With 2 over cards and a backdoor straight draw I think it's fine to barrel the flop hoping to fold out over cards if he actually folds it. If I see his fold to cb is super low then of course then check and give up unless you hit.

The turn didn't change much and I'll just check and give up unless an over card came like TJQKA then I think it's good to bet turn and river representing it and usually they don't have it and folds by the river.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cutegoldfish
      What is his fold to cb on the flop in 3betpot?

While he appears to fold to 3bet a lot pre flop he still has a wide range because of his wide button open. With 2 over cards and a backdoor straight draw I think it's fine to barrel the flop hoping to fold out over cards if he actually folds it. If I see his fold to cb is super low then of course then check and give up unless you hit.

The turn didn't change much and I'll just check and give up unless an over card came like TJQKA then I think it's good to bet turn and river representing it and usually they don't have it and folds by the river.
      I don't have enough hands to know how much he folds to CBet flop on 3Bet pots, however his FtCBet flop in general is 23, which is very low, however he has 80 on turn (and that's probably another reason why I found that turn CBet, I forgot to check while I was posting the hand).
      What do you think?
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      We can see that he isn't folding much on the flop so the plan should be to either

Just give up the flop immediately

Or bet flop and turn to fold out over cards. Given his wide range on the button I actually think the bet flop and turn line which is the line you took is the best