Questions about SSS

• delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      I am warning you now that I have decided to take the advice of Helemaalniks and ask so many questions you get sick of me. So when you start banging your head against the wall in frustration at all my dumb questions, blame helemaalniks. Also dont take offense when I question the strategies here, I do it to try and understand them better.

The SSS seems to call for strict adherence to an exact pattern of play, something the pros and other websites advise against. Am I looking too far ahead here, should I shut my mouth and stick to it until I have learnt it properly?

The starting hands chart lists four categories of starting hands, but the last two are almost identical, the only difference being the way you play AQ, TT or 99 in middle position. Can I simplify it by lumping the last two groups together, or does this throw out the mathematics?

I see some platforms give more strategy points than others - $1 rake at FT gives 2 strategy points, $1 rake at mansion gives 4. Why is this? And should this effect the decision of which platform I choose to deposit the $50?
  • 10 replies
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      Originally posted by delete461
      I am warning you now that I have decided to take the advice of Helemaalniks and ask so many questions you get sick of me. So when you start banging your head against the wall in frustration at all my dumb questions, blame helemaalniks. Also dont take offense when I question the strategies here, I do it to try and understand them better.
      Try to stick to one thread :P

The SSS seems to call for strict adherence to an exact pattern of play, something the pros and other websites advise against. Am I looking too far ahead here, should I shut my mouth and stick to it until I have learnt it properly?
      Yes, you are going too fair ahead. This advice is good when your oppenents have excellent reads on you (which would happen if you've played a lot with the same players, as the pros have)

The starting hands chart lists four categories of starting hands, but the last two are almost identical, the only difference being the way you play AQ, TT or 99 in middle position. Can I simplify it by lumping the last two groups together, or does this throw out the mathematics?
      Yes that will throw off the mathematics behind it.

I see some platforms give more strategy points than others - $1 rake at FT gives 2 strategy points, $1 rake at mansion gives 4. Why is this? And should this effect the decision of which platform I choose to deposit the $50?
      This is because some sites do rake differently :P You should pick a site based on the software you are comfortable with, as well as the bonus they are offering you.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Thanks very much Brian. I am only comfortable with stars software at the moment, suppose I will have to get used to another to get the starting capital though.
      Some more questions

Is it easier to clear the bonuses on some sites than others, which ones?

How long would it take to clear the bonus on say, Partypoker and how long do I get to do it? What happens if I dont do it quick enough? And the same for the extra $100, how hard is it and how much time do I have to do it?

What is the best way of keeping track of my poker sessions? I have seen people post tables and charts in here of their playing statistics, I would like to have something like that ready before I start with real money. Is there something I can download, or do I have to try making my own spreadsheet or something
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      Is it easier to clear the bonuses on some sites than others, which ones?

How long would it take to clear the bonus on say, Partypoker and how long do I get to do it? What happens if I dont do it quick enough? And the same for the extra $100, how hard is it and how much time do I have to do it?
      hmmm I'm not really too sure to be honest. I've never cleared a bonus through them. You could take a look in the PartyPoker subforum here. You may be able to find some information in there regarding the bonuses.

What is the best way of keeping track of my poker sessions? I have seen people post tables and charts in here of their playing statistics, I would like to have something like that ready before I start with real money. Is there something I can download, or do I have to try making my own spreadsheet or something
      The best/easiest/cheapest method is a program called Poker Tracker 3. You can get a free 60 day trial. Once you set it up, it can dynamically keep track of all the hands you played, and give you nice graphs to show your winnings etc. Download it here
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      thanks again, is there another one I dont have to pay for? Or is that one so good it may pay for itself by improving my game
    • meredori
      meredori
      Bronze
      Just to sum up what Brian has said and add my own thoughts.

- The bronze and 'White" articles give you a strict mathematically sound strategy to give you the best chance of winning on the lower limits. If you spent your time following those strategies in the high limits you will definitely be at a disadvantage but at the lower limits it is correct (most people at lower limits will ignore reads.)

- The speed of clearing your bonus's I think is relatively the same at all sites.

- Elephant the software offered by this site is in Beta, it records hand histories for NL and FL poker as well as having charts and player details. It does NOT have any SnG support for now, so if you are looking to play SnG then you won't be lucky.

As far as I know all features of Elephant are accessible before AND after the trial (With future features to be eventually locked out to only the full version.)

As the software is in Beta you may find a few small problems but I have not found any yet. So I recommend that if you don't play SnG.
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      thanks again, is there another one I dont have to pay for? Or is that one so good it may pay for itself by improving my game
      they'll all help improve you game, especially since you can review your hands (which is extremely important).
      Two other programs that come to mind are PokerOffice and elephant.

Poker office works better when you have a really large database of hands (poker tracker slows down). Elephant is from PokerStrategy.com, and still needs a bit of work to become better IMO. But it does come with a 20 day trial. Check it here
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      OK will probably check them all out, had heard of elephant but i thought it was only a program for capturing a specific hand and posting it in the forum. I would like to be able to post hands here and also to bring up a table which can show my playing records at various sites, if elephant can do both those things it would be ideal. Am happy to pay a small charge if my winnings will cover it, the main thing is whatever will improve my game the most.
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      you can post hands from poker tracker and from poker office too...
      another I thought of it Hold 'em Manager
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      When i get the starting capital at a poker site, is there an id check i have to go through with address verification etc, how tough are the checks? If they just need a scan of drivers license i could do that, if they need utility bills or bank details could be a problem
    • SecurityDrew
      SecurityDrew
      Bronze
      They ID check random applicants. I had to photo copy my drivers license and send the file. Watch your email for instructions.