Clarification about BRM

• Spikelema
      Spikelema
      Bronze
      The strategy MSS outlines a 25buyin limit to move up and down, just to clarify

at NL2 the buyin is $1 making 25 buyins $25 and NL5 is $2 making it 25 buyins $50

Does that mean, if you have $50 you play NL5 and move down once you reach $25, then you do not move back up again until you reach $50?

So between $25-$50 you could either be in NL2 or NL5 depending on if you are swinging up (NL2) or down (NL5)?
  • 4 replies
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      That only depends on you. Most people, when they reach a certain number of buyins for the next limit, just take some shots (e.g. 5 buyins) on the next limit and if they lose these buyins, they drop down a limit again. So, if you are using a 25 buyin BRM, then when you reach 25 buyins for the next limit you could play at this limit and drop down again when you lose 4 or 5 buyins.

Hope that helped :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Thanks acetbfish,
      That is pretty much spot on.

I'd just like to add that if these suggested limits are still not comfortable for you, feel free to choose a more conservative plan.

For example, if you've been playing NL 10, and built your bankroll to 625, then you have 25 BI for NL 25.

If you don't have confidence in your game, or losing $25 would make you nervous, then maybe wait until your BR reaches 30 BI (750), 40 or even 50.

You might also want to give yourself a bit more freedom if you feel confident in your game at the higher limit -- for example, you might move up at 40 BI for the higher limit, yet moved down when you've lost 10 higher-limit BI

It's your game, it's your plan.

--VS
    • Spikelema
      Spikelema
      Bronze
      I guess more importantly (as long as im comfortable) would the method I outlined be acceptable? Moving up and down at that rate or would there be a risk in only having 25 buyin at the lower limit?

I think the BRM chart outlines that as you move up 40 buyins for NL10/NL25/NL50 and 50 for NL100.

I do not have a problem following the chart it is just a little confusing about when to move down a limit (moving up makes a lot of sense)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Spikelema

You need 25BI's to move up to the next limit. So lets say you have $38 and build up to about $50. Now you have the BR to move up to nl5. Once you go lower to $50 you kinda have to move down to nl2 again. Now I think you already can see the problem. You have no room to play around with.

What I do is. I make sure I got the BR to move up and add a couple of BI's extra. Lets say in your case I would wait until you have $60. With $60 you have 4BI's you can lose on nl5 before you have to move down.

Keep in mind that these are just guidelines! It's all up to you. Some ppl wait till they have $50, move up and move down when they've lost 4BI's (BR=$40). But I hope this cleared up your question about moving up/down.

Regards

RasTweet