[NL20-NL50] 25shz A9o SB

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $24.65 (98.6 bb)
      Hero (SB): $28.56 (114.2 bb)
      BB: $30.09 (120.4 bb)
      UTG: $26.49 (106 bb)
      MP: $16.20 (64.8 bb)
      CO: $27.09 (108.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A 9
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $2, BB folds, BTN calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.25) Q J 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($4.25) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($4.25) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.69, BTN calls $2.69

Results:
      $9.63 pot ($0.52 rake)
      Final Board: Q J 4 5 4
      BTN showed 8 8 and won $9.11 ($4.42 net)
      Hero showed A 9 and lost (-$4.69 net)

VPIP: 22, PFR: 18, 3B: 10, AF: 2,7, Hands: 337

Usually my resteal is definitely tighter, but given xyr BU steal was 55 (22) I started playing back and testing xyr FtResteal which at that time was 57 (7), and I decided A9o was good enough, with A card removal.

Though he calls and board touches xyr range a lot.
      So I just give up since I was mostly gathering xyr stats.

However after a double Xb I decided to try and take the pot.
      Is that usually a wrong move?
      From personal experience I cannot really tell if this thing has been profitable for me (to try and take the pot no matter what after a double Xb).
  • 5 replies
    • batmanbatmanbatman
      batmanbatmanbatman
      Bronze
      You should never try to gather stats by spending $$$. Just be patient and others will do it for you.

Other than that:
      - I would never 3bet A9o OOP as it plays quite bad vs opp's calling range.
      - I would conti this board as I generally expect him to have small pockets and suited connectors which he just gives up here. Also if he is the type which just calls draws I might be able to get a free showdown with the best hand if I conti. At least sometimes.
      (Note: in 337 hands you should already have some fold to conti&aggression tendencies which you might consider here)
      - As played, I would not try to get it down on the river simply because most of the times I have the best hand after he checks back 2 times. I would consider a c/c, given that from my point of view he should bet any value hand by the turn and he should check back any showdown value on the river.
      (Note: 337 hands you should already have some postflop aggression frequencies by street which you should consider here).
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by batmanbatmanbatman
      You should never try to gather stats by spending $$$. Just be patient and others will do it for you.

Other than that:
      - I would never 3bet A9o OOP as it plays quite bad vs opp's calling range.
      - I would conti this board as I generally expect him to have small pockets and suited connectors which he just gives up here. Also if he is the type which just calls draws I might be able to get a free showdown with the best hand if I conti. At least sometimes.
      (Note: in 337 hands you should already have some fold to conti&aggression tendencies which you might consider here)
      - As played, I would not try to get it down on the river simply because most of the times I have the best hand after he checks back 2 times. I would consider a c/c, given that from my point of view he should bet any value hand by the turn and he should check back any showdown value on the river.
      (Note: 337 hands you should already have some postflop aggression frequencies by street which you should consider here).
      You have a future as a coach you know :D
      Your explanations are thorough and clear, and your knowledge seems to be deep.
      I hate knowing I have this knowledge too but it never comes out.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: I think it's fine, not the best hand but not the worst either. At least it's A9o and not A5o, you can flop some top pairs vs his 88/77/66/78s type of hands.

Flop: I agree with giving up here

Turn: You can put in a delayed cbet, or delay cbet the River, or give up. I think all 3 options are fairly close in EV, and you should be able to show up with AJ/QX with all three lines.

Thanks.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

Preflop: I think it's fine, not the best hand but not the worst either. At least it's A9o and not A5o, you can flop some top pairs vs his 88/77/66/78s type of hands.

Flop: I agree with giving up here

Turn: You can put in a delayed cbet, or delay cbet the River, or give up. I think all 3 options are fairly close in EV, and you should be able to show up with AJ/QX with all three lines.

Thanks.
      If you believe that xe's on that type of range, why not CBetting?
      Do you think xe's not folding that type of range?
      Btw xyr FtCBet is 50 (8).
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      We don't need to cbet all the time to win. We can always delay cbet the Turn, especially when we don't have backdoor draws. That is my preferred line actually.

And if we have some sort of balanced delayed cbet betting range, I think we will also have fold equity here if we bet here.