Floating Deep Stacked

• NateMilla
      NateMilla
      Basic
      Today I placed 39/5000 on the Carbon $50.00 Freeroll, but I really thought I could've done better.

Here's the situation I ran into.

Sitting on 90bb;
      Cards go dead;
      Transferred to a table with top two chip leaders;
      Blinds raise a couple levels;
      Move from 3rd to 24th;
      Sitting on 20bb;
      Shove AJo in position, 77 calls for my KO.

I guess my question is, when your cards start to go dead, is it better to play aggressive and find opportunities to steal, or could I have floated until I really found a set? My VP's about 32% but I constantly change my style of play.

I can play 20-30 hands at 40vpip and the next 30 at 12vpip. It really depends.
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

it mostly depends on your opponents. If they are starting to 3-bet you or shoving or there are a lot of stacks that would get all-in against your opens then it is better to wait good starting hands (top 15%). If players are passive and fold a lot then you can really loosen up an likely continue growing your chip stack

Personally I don´t like open shove AJ from 20bb- I think there are more profitable spots either to raise/fold (against nits) or raise/call against loose players.

best regards,
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      Hi,

it mostly depends on your opponents. If they are starting to 3-bet you or shoving or there are a lot of stacks that would get all-in against your opens then it is better to wait good starting hands (top 15%). If players are passive and fold a lot then you can really loosen up an likely continue growing your chip stack

Personally I don´t like open shove AJ from 20bb- I think there are more profitable spots either to raise/fold (against nits) or raise/call against loose players.

best regards,

Your play style should reflect your opponents behaviour. If they are tight there is no point in folding everything. Try to steal more often!
      If they are loose-aggressive tighten up a bit and try to get into profitable situations with your strong holdings.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • amanofhisword
      amanofhisword
      Basic
      Hello,

I would say play basic short stack strategy at 20bb.

good luck at the tables