[NL20-NL50] QTs BU WA/WB - Hand from Articles

• AtrociousNightmare
      First of all I'm sorry if this is not actually my hand.
      This comes from here, a NL article from ps.com strategy section.

There are some hands that I find in these articles that I want to discuss, but the comments section of those articles are pretty dead due to old date, and also I'd love an insight of our lovely coaches <3
      So for the future, where should I post?

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($100)
      MP ($100)
      CO ($100)
      Hero ($100)
      SB ($100)
      BB ($100)

Pre-flop: Hero is Button with Q:diamond: , T:diamond:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $4.00, 1 fold, BB calls $4.00

Flop: ($8.50) K:spade: , Q:heart: , 4:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $5.50, BB calls $5.50

Turn: ($19.50) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero...

Article says:
      In this case you find yourself in a way ahead/way behind situation. Apart from JT, your opponent can't be holding a good draw. So you're either way ahead or way behind and protecting is less important.

If you place a bet now, would it be a value bet? What sort of worse hand would call you?

My question is:
      If we think we can't extract 3 streets of value, why do we bet on the flop in the first place?
      Wouldn't it be more effective to Xb on flop, so as to induce bluffs or to be called lighter for the next 2 streets?
      It's not the first time I encounter this type of situation in real tables as well and I always wonder what to do.
      I feel like I'm missing something basic here.
      Also, could you answer taking into consideration both cases: fish villain ; TAG regular villain?
  • 1 reply
    • EmanuelC16

You can post in the No Limit General Forum although you are more likely to get quick answers here if it's strcitly hands you have questions about.

Regarding this hand: Some people can float hands like midpairs there because of positions and if PFR has a very high cbet frequency. That means you get value with your QT now. On the turn you would make that fold. I personally prefer to check back flop often since my BU is way too wide to cbet that flop often, meaning I check back with a high frequency. If I cbet all my hands, all my check backs are air. I want some good bluffcatchers in my range as well.

This hand is given as an example there because at the time the articles were written, people opened way tighter on the button cbetting 100% was +EV, there was no arguments for checking flops as PFR. Cbetting this hand today in this spot should still be +EV but it's a question of how you play a range here, not just a hand. Basically, this is what is new: playing your range instead of just each hand on each board texture.