[NL20-NL50] Trips GK facing river donk @ZOOM NL25SH

• batmanbatmanbatman
      batmanbatmanbatman
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $19.50 (78 bb)
      SB: $25 (100 bb)
      BB: $23.58 (94.3 bb)
      UTG: $26.76 (107 bb)
      MP: $54.93 (219.7 bb)
      Hero (CO): $63.03 (252.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T K
      UTG calls $0.25, MP folds, Hero raises to $1.25, 3 folds, UTG calls $1

Flop: ($2.85) 2 T 7 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $2.25, UTG calls $2.25

Turn: ($7.35) 9 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $5.50, UTG calls $5.50

River: ($18.35) T (2 players)
      UTG bets $8.75, Hero raises to $33.25, UTG folds

Results:
      $35.85 pot ($1.61 rake)
      Final Board: 2 T 7 9 T
      UTG mucked and lost (-$17.75 net)
      Hero mucked T K and won $34.24 ($16.49 net)

UTG:
      29/13, 70% limp call, 30% limp fold
      No really aggro 3bettor behind. Maybe BB could notice the spot based on stats. I make it anyway a bit bigger because I really want to be HU with this fish or, when I am not HU, to keep the other straight.
      Post stats:
      Flop:
      12% donk, of which 25% donk/raise and 75% donk/call
      64% fold to conti
      3% raise conti
      Turn:
      14% donk, 40% fold to conti, 20% raise conti
      River:
      14% donk, 80% fold to conti, 0% raise conti.

So as the action goes, I bet big on the flop for max value from the draws. I fold if I get raised.

I bet a bit smaller on the turn. My thought process was that he might fold weak draws&7x if I bet to big and that I don't have a value bet on most of the rivers so I don't really need to set the pot up for a value bet.
      This makes it to question 1: Looking back, I think there aren't so many weak draws & 7x's in his range, compared with good draws or pairs + gutshot, so I probably should bet a bit bigger to get max value. Did I get this right?

On the river I never fold. He can easily have weaker Tx here or draws turned into bluffs. During the hand I raised thinking he can never fold hands like QT, JT or T8 and that he might also make other call downs because he has only 9$ behind. But i did not consider him having stronger hands, which I now think it is possible.

I know that this is a problem easily solvable by equilator. Just get his bet/call range and see if you are 50% over it. Problem is that I am not able to tell what stronger hands would he bet 1/2 instead of just shoving or instead of checking them to let me bluff.
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Batman,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: both flop and turn look fine

On the river I am shoving there as well. His range can contain enough worse hands like T8/TJ/TQ that can play like that and call (Along with AT) and we can expect that T7/T9 or other potential boats to put in a raise before the river. So We almost always have the best hand.

He could also block bet other pairs and then find it hard to let them go.
    • batmanbatmanbatman
      batmanbatmanbatman
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for answering.

It looks to me that 22,77,99,T7,T9,AT(19 combos) don't make up for T8, JT ,QT(9 combos).

So that makes me curios... why are you not considering other boats, like 22, 77, 99? By not considering them I agree with you that shoving is mandatory,

Do you take them out because you think he would get aggro somewhere else, and, if so, why?

Regards,
      Batman

Edited because I have troubles counting the combo's. Hope I got it fine now.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by batmanbatmanbatman
      Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for answering.

It looks to me that 22,77,99,T7,T9,AT(19 combos) don't make up for T8, JT ,QT(9 combos).

So that makes me curios... why are you not considering other boats, like 22, 77, 99? By not considering them I agree with you that shoving is mandatory,

Do you take them out because you think he would get aggro somewhere else, and, if so, why?

Regards,
      Batman

Edited because I have troubles counting the combo's. Hope I got it fine now.
      Considering the nature of the board we have to discount at least part of those 2p+ combos.

All those 19 combos (minus AT) you have listed have had 2p/set on the turn (or earlier) and I'd expect a check/raise at least 2/3 of the time. And even if he doesn't raise half the time it's still close to a shove for us.
    • batmanbatmanbatman
      batmanbatmanbatman
      Bronze
      Thanks, somehow i missed the fact that he would protect 2p and sets often. Now it makes perfect sense.