theory boost

• 6 replies
    • Chazza
      Chazza
      Bronze
      Hello,

If you need a break that's probably a good idea.

I'm sorry I don't think I've had the pleasure to chat with you so I don't know what type of poker you play. FL, NL/ FR, SH/SNG, MTT.

I've read quite a few books with varying help. If you let us know which type i'm sure someone will have read some good books.

Some DVD's are very useful as well, but remember that the articles and videos here are excellent.
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      I played SnGs the most (full ring and sh ones) but I started reading a NL book and I think its a nice one (the theory of poker by sklansky). I am not sure if I want to continue playing SnGs or just move to NL - maybe I'll just play both at the same time. I have downloaded many e-books but I would be very happy if you recommend any of them to me (or the DVDs that you mentioned). I like the articles and videos here, but I want to read more about poker, because I just started realizing how weak I am. I do not need a break from poker - on the contrary, I want to play more than ever, but I need to make my game a winning one.
    • Chazza
      Chazza
      Bronze
      Ok, Thery of poker is an all around book so it will deal with everything from 5 card stud to 2-7 lowball triple-draw. It's helpful with the psychology though.

I think there were some people spruiking No-limit theory and practice by David Sklansky. I haven't read it as of yet. But it is supposed to be very good.

I play fixed limit and live SNG and MTT. As such most of my reading concerns these.

Howard Lederer's series and Phil Hellmuth's series are quite good for beginner to low intermediate stages of NL. The major problem with these is that their SHC or recommended starting hands is nowhere near as good as poker strategies. (I've noticed that in nearly all books or DVD's i've seen).

In my opinion the best DVD series' are from expert hold em. The explanations are done really well and examples are clearly gone through with explanations. The rolf Slotbloom DVD's are the only ones in this series I've seen that have to do with NL, all the others are FL related.

All in all though, if you are going to just start with NL, you should probably spend most of your time going through those articles, watching the videos and reading about peoples sample hands available right here for free.

If you have heard of any DVD's you'd like to watch or books that you might like to read, post a few names here and I may have seen them. I have over 40 DVD's, most of which are instructional. (And most of which have 1-2 good points and the rest is the same old...) I also have quite a book collection. As I said though not a whole lot of NL.

Anyway.. long post, good luck with the book. Hopefully some others will post in here to either ask about some book or DVD, or give you some more suggestions.
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      thank you very much for your answer! I'm actually quite satisfied with the book so far. As for my next book I have already decided to continue with "harrington on holdem" or "doyle brunson's super system".
      ---------------------------------------------
      All in all though, if you are going to just start with NL, you should probably spend most of your time going through those articles, watching the videos and reading about peoples sample hands available right here for free.

I'm spending as much as I can in PS. I love everyone's work and attitude, but I feel that I need a bit more. About the books - I am downloading e-books, so they are also free for me.
    • Chazza
      Chazza
      Bronze
      Ok, just keep in mind that super system is getting pretty dated. It's still got useful information, but the fact that almost everybody has read it has meant that the best players have come up with ways to battle and counteract this theory.

Harrington on holdem is good. It's a MTT book and workbook, but the early tournament stuff is very applicable to cash games. The thought process that he goes through with each sample hand is most useful I think.

About the books - I am downloading e-books, so they are also free for me.

And highly illegal I'm sure :P

You should like both books so good luck!
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      http://www.thepokerbay.org/details.php?id=2235

possibly every poker book u could think of.