This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Equity needed to value bet turn vs 2 players

• Lunitis
      Lunitis
      Bronze
      Hi.
      Excluding other factors (like $ made if check and villains bet for bluff or money lost due to villain raising worst hands and we folding) i know that we need at least 51% equity for a value bet to be profitable against the vilain calling/raising range.
      But what if im 3 way?
      I need 51% equity vs villains range too? Or i need just 34%? Or something in the between that we cant calculate exactly? I guess the last one...(?!)
      If just one call i need 51%, if both call i need 34%. But as we cant know (can we?) if one or both will call we cant estimate the exact equity we need...
      First time im thinking about this subject, i dont know if im saying nonsense things.. :tongue:

This subject arise when i was evaluating if i should or not cbet this turn against two players with the given call/raise range:

If im HU i should cbet:

Board: J:spade: T:club: 4:diamond:  9:diamond:
             Equity  Vencer  Empate
      MP2    52.22%  52.22%   0.00% { AA }
      MP3    47.78%  47.78%   0.00% { 44, AQs-AJs, KJs+, QJs, JTs, 98s, AQo-AJo, KJo+, QJo }

But 3 way my equity drops a lot and i guess we have to check/fold:

Equity  Vencer  Empate
      MP2    29.20%  29.20%   0.00% { AA }
      MP3    35.40%  31.45%   3.95% { 44, AQs-AJs, KJs+, QJs, JTs, 98s, AQo-AJo, KJo+, QJo }
      CO     35.40%  31.45%   3.95% { 44, AQs-AJs, KJs+, QJs, JTs, 98s, AQo-AJo, KJo+, QJo }

Lets give as QQ, things get a bit weird now...

Equity  Vencer  Empate
      MP2    46.32%  43.38%   2.94% { QQ }
      MP3    26.84%  24.31%   2.53% { 44, AQs-AJs, KJs+, QJs, JTs, 98s, AQo-AJo, KJo+, QJo }
      CO     26.84%  24.31%   2.53% { 44, AQs-AJs, KJs+, QJs, JTs, 98s, AQo-AJo, KJo+, QJo }

What you guys can tell me about this...
  • 2 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Lunitis

I need 51% equity vs villains range too? Or i need just 34%? Or something in the between that we cant calculate exactly? I guess the last one...(?!)
      Yeah, the last one.

Ultimately you don't know how many opponents are going to call you. Rarely can you ever be sure that 2 or more opponents will call.

So in practice, if you think that either of the opponents will not call with a range that has less than 50% equity vs you, you shouldn't really be value betting.

Another factor to keep in mind is that when you value bet and get called by 2 opponents you usually have less equity anyway, even if you might have had 51% equity HU against each opponent. The only time that isn't true is when opponents have the same draw/hand and are blocking each others outs - something again that you can never know.
    • Lunitis
      Lunitis
      Bronze
      Thank you very much. Great answer.