Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:club: J:diamond:

fold, MP raises to 3 BB, fold, Hero calls 3 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (7.5 BB, 2 players) 5:club: J:spade: J:club:
      MP checks, Hero bets 3.75 BB, MP raises to 9 BB, Hero calls 5.25 BB

Turn: (25.5 BB, 2 players) K:spade:
      MP bets 19.1 BB, Hero calls 19.1 BB

River: (63.7 BB, 2 players) 9:club:
      MP checks, Hero bets 31.85 BB, fold

Hero shows A:club: J:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Jacks)
      Hero wins 60.55 BB

200 hands, 42/28. fold to 3bet 58. opens EP 29, MP 18, all other around 50%, cbet 90%

I wanted to 3bet him for value, he calls often and has high VPiP (42), but it is strange that from MP he has only 18. So I decided to call IP.

When he checks flop I think it is mostly give up, and I bet 1/2 to induce bluff. If he would just call I would bet nearly pot size turn and river.
      Would it be better to 3bet flop and play for stacks? I wanted to get money from bluffs. On turn it is bad card, because I lose against KJ which is in his range so I didnt want to raise. River is bet 1/2 ok? Or maybe check behind, because if I assume that he was bluffing he is giving up.
  • 1 reply
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey mlatasrb,

Seeing as villain is pretty wide your flat call preflop IP is fine.

Whether you should 3bet the flop really depends on your estimations of how often villain is doing this as a pure bluff. If you think he's mainly just doing this with flush-draws and worse Jx, then 3bet. If you think he's the type of opponent to do this with random holdings like A:hT, then flat call is good.

If you weren't sure, I'd probably just go ahead and 3bet to collect from worse jacks and flush-draws.

I don't think it's a big issue that villain might hold KJ. The main reason you flat turn is to allow villain to continue bluffing, not because you are scared of KJ. If you felt villain mainly had Jx and draws in his range and that he'd call with draws you should probably just raise the turn for value.

River half pot is fine. KJ + flush-draws probably bet river. You can still get value from JT/QT. Bluffs will obviously fold, but maybe a random turned Kx will look you up. If you felt it was a little thin, just bet smaller.