[NL20-NL50] A3o bluff 3bet against loose

• Gonchan
      IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $20 (100 bb)
      BTN: $20.20 (101 bb)
      Hero (SB): $20.10 (100.5 bb)
      BB: $20 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3 A
      CO folds, BTN raises to $0.60, Hero raises to $1.80, BB folds, BTN calls $1.20

Flop: ($3.80) K T 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.20, BTN calls $2.20

Turn: ($8.20) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.60, BTN calls $5.60

River: ($19.40) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $10.50 and is all-in, BTN calls $10.50

$40.40 pot ($2 rake)
      Final Board: K T 9 K 2
      BTN showed K T and won $38.40 ($18.30 net)
      Hero mucked 3 A and lost (-$20.10 net)

20/17/1.0k ft3b 64 I thought his steal BTN almost 100%

Should I stop bluff 3bet and value 3bet because I encountered 2 pair+ over 50% on this week? raised raised raised on 3b pot..
  • 3 replies
    • mbml

Preflop: No way I'm restealing with such a weak hand. Only times I resteal with AXo is if the guy is just folding really often vs 3bets. So that usually applies in BU vs CO. Being OOP here, I think BU may defend a lot. But if he folds super often to 3bets, like 80%+, then i could see it being an acceptable play.

Over here, I'm not too sure about your sample but I am seriously doubting that his opening range from Bu is 100% here. There's no way people can play 100% from BU and yet be 20/17 in overall VPIP/PFR. He would have to be ultra nitty from all other positions in order to achieve such stats. When your sample is low, you need to trust your VPIP and PFR more than your other more specific stats, because VPIP and PFR require a lower sample size to become more reliable.

Flop: This flop sucks hard. Very easy check/fold when his calling range vs your 3bet just smacks this board. While he may fold 77/88/A5s type of hands, the majority of his calling range here is TT/99/T9s/J9s/JTs/QJs/KQ/KJ/AQ/AJ and all those are definitely not folding the Flop/

Turn: Turn bet is worse than the Flop bet. Pairing Turns are always bad for bluffing at. he is never folding his JT/QT type of hands. Only hands you get to fold out here are hands like AQ/AJ and that's about it.

River: You are just compounding on your earlier mistakes and I think he has a boat or KX really often.

To summarize what just happened here, your preflop mistake is super huge, and you shouldn't be 3betting so much preflop if you are going to spew off your money like that postflop all the time.

• Gonchan
      what should be 3bet range against BTN?
    • mbml
      I don't think that should be the right question to ask

1) How wide does he open? Wider range = wider 3bet range
      2) Are we in the SB or BB? SB sucks more for calling, BB is better for calling. Thus, we should 3bet more often in SB and call more often in BB.
      3) What is his raise size? Smaller raise size gives us better odds for calling, and bigger raise sizes gives more dead money to steal, so 3betting is better.

Mid suited connectors, suited Kings and Aces, maybe some suited Queens and Jacks (Q7s+,J7s+), are great candidates for 3betting preflop cos they play decent postflop. I don't like 3betting small pocket pairs unless you want to 5bet shove them vs an aggressive 4better. They just play poorly in 3b pots (in 3b pots you just want to hit top pair type of hands) and they play much better in single-raised pots (set-mining) or playing for stacks (poor postflop playability but high preflop equity)