UTG ($12)
      UTG+1 ($24.40)
      UTG+2 ($24.62)
      MP1 ($68.26)
      MP2 ($12.35)
      CO ($15)
      Hero ($25.45)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: Q:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.50, SB raises to $2.25, fold, Hero calls $1.75

Villain is 13/12 over 2.5k hands, 3 bets 5%

I'm never sure what my calling range and 4 bet bluff range should look like against a std reg such as this guy.

Here I just assume I'm well ahead of his range, even though being offsuit isn't great when you need to bluff some of the time post flop, if I'm right about not being able to just hope to make top pair or else give up.
  • 2 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Chang,

Preflop: You have a lot of hands on him so we should look at his 3-bet from the blinds to BTN (or even more specific from SB to BTN).

So that should be the first step.

Once we identify how wide his range is for 3-betting we can look at what we think he'll shove (if we 4-bet) and make up our mind. A 4-bet bluff versus someone that bluffs a lot and stacks off tight will show an immediate profit. A call is also good because it keeps in a dominated range but then we need to have some idea about his postflop play.

So without info on postflop, and assuming he 3-bets 6-7% in the blinds vs BTN we can just 4-bet bluff to take it down.
    • ChangNoi77
      ChangNoi77
      Bronze
      Ok, so lets assume this villain 3 bets the same %, but we have no post flop reads. Can my plan be to 4 bet bluff our AQo,AJo,KQo type blocker hands, maybe call KQs and AQs, folding everything else?

I get the feeling that most micro regs have pretty much the same calling range for defending IP v a 3 bet. How important is it to be able to defend hands such as T9s, JTs, 99, they just used to get me into so much trouble that I started folding 76% to 3 bets and my win rate was fine still.