my girlfriend said i played too much poker

• davidgod
      davidgod
      Bronze
      my girlfriend said i played too much poker and ignore her feeling. ever night i just play poker, and she think i have a boring life. because i just go out in afternoon, and go back home very early.

but playing poker is my job. after all these years i find out i don't wanna do other work except playing poker

how do you guys cope with such situation. I saw most regs are playing poker every night. don't they need other social activities at night?
  • 21 replies
    • duckspace
      duckspace
      Bronze
      I think the point is the words she said "ignore her feeling" . :tongue: .
    • Jafreiteris
      Jafreiteris
      Bronze
      Money over hoes? Always!

Ps : if she want some excitement she can take her ass to the movies
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jafreiteris
      Money over hoes? Always!
      It's M.O.B. Money over bitches! ;)
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      don't they need other social activities at night?
      Maybe she had in mind some other activities then social at night. Just do those activities before your session and i hope you will stay motivated enough playing poker after those are done to make her happy.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      ask her to pay for your living expenses then, since you can no longer play and earn money :)
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Bronze
      How long do you play during the night?
      If you play many hours surely you could have some arrangement where you spend time with your gf, then grind afterwards.

Or break up your sessions for when she's out/at work or whatever & spend some time with her while she's home.

Are games really that dead through the day that you can only play at night?
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Bronze
      Just before your session have some private time, that's what I do. :D And no whining anymore.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Life is all about balance, you need to be able to balance RL vs Poker. Playing too much isn't good, you will be too emotionally involved in poker and your whole life will become a "grind".
    • johnberry256
      johnberry256
      Bronze
      Or show her the game!

I have a few days playing and I got this complain yesterday (and really... I didn't play that much, just last night because I didn't know the tournaments were that long)

But as soon as I pointed out the basic rules she bring a chair and was there right beside me "are we in?" "who won!?" haha it was fun!

But just let her know that you won't always do it together =P

If this is your job sure it is important, but maybe you can have a schedule like any other job, so that she can know whenever is job time and shouldn't bother you and when is fun time and you can do something else.

And do something else OP! Get away from that computer!
    • suitedaces1701
      suitedaces1701
      Gold
      Turn her into a pro poker player, have the same grinding times.

Schedule balanced :f_thumbsup:

It seems logical to me but I'm actually seeing a girl that is in the science program in school/has work so she's busy as much as I am :D so I don't have the experience.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      1 word: Balance
    • HackerCR
      HackerCR
      Bronze
      girlfriends are EV- ;)
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HackerCR
      girlfriends are EV- ;)
      Depends.. :P
      -EV$ money wise perhaps (playing less poker), but they are +EV for some other stuff.. :)
    • ChiTheoK0To
      ChiTheoK0To
      Bronze
      girlfriends are EV- ;)
      That is long run +EV, they bring babys for us, they make us more human, they take care of us,...

more balance, f her up, and keep real life more active

They (balance) brings you Value, not just money.

Good luck
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ChiTheoK0To
      girlfriends are EV- ;)
      That is long run +EV, they bring babys for us, they make us more human, they take care of us,...

more balance, f her up, and keep real life more active

They (balance) brings you Value, not just money.

Good luck
      Balance ;)
    • Lucker9200
      Lucker9200
      Bronze
      You can try changing your schedule especially on weekends. If the reason you play only at night are the more weaker players playing on saturdays/sundays should be fine too since there are weak players during daytime aswell. You will have at least 2 nights weekly free and you will be able to grind effectively anyways. And thats probably what she wants too actually given that she pointed it out on friday night(I assume) and its quite normal for people to want to spend more time and have fun with the people they like during weekends if they arent poker pros :D , if the reason isnt the weaker opposition the reason you play at night then its slightly tougher cause you will probably have to seek some kind of balance you arent fully ok with and choose between RL/poker
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Don't play every single night.

Apart from that, tell her that your dream is becoming a poker pro, and this is the only way. If you had to work as a bartender each night to make a living, would that make a difference?

Tell her that poker is not fun for you, it is all about earning money.
      edit: Tell her that while you do enjoy poker, it's not about the fun but it's all about earning money :)

With all that in mind: don't grind every single night. Spend time with her as well.
    • HackerCR
      HackerCR
      Bronze
      Originally posted by eXtremeACE
      girlfriends are EV- ;)
      Depends.. :P
      -EV$ money wise perhaps (playing less poker), but they are +EV for some other stuff.. :)
      Yes, that's the key.
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      start by taking off a day and suprise her with something, that will save the relationship instantly (if she really feels bad) and gives you some time to rethink ur goals, do u want her or not, if yes, reschedule poker, find her some hobby she can enjoy aswell (not poker) so she can spend more time alone without thinking why your so boring.. (like most home rats) and grind less, grinding for example 7days/week makes you a robot in a year or 2, changes ur mentality, if u were outgoing, u wont be anymore... the game fucks u up big time if u cant balance it.
      (grinding the game for 4years, had similar situation, lost gf after 3.5years of relationship, also can count all my friend on 1hand, so not much going out, weekly or biweekly some drinking, thats it, so the game fucked me up alot)
      GL