$22.63
      MP2:
      $5.28
      MP3:
      $9.77
      CO (Hero):
      $10.05

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, Q.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BU raises to $0.80, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2.40, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.95.

villain is 20/18 with an 11% 3bet over about 60 hands.

the reasons why i decided to 4bet are because..
      a) i didn't look at how small a sample i had - i just assumed i had an okay hand count so i saw his 3bet stat and thought he has a ton of air in his range especially BU vs CO.
      b) i believe he will continue only with AK and QQ+, so given that my hand has blockers to these it will make my 4bet bluff more successful.
      c) since i'm only going broke here with AK and QQ+, AQ is one of the best hands that i will fold so i turn it into a bluff.

im not too sure about the theory behind this...

i've seen how people are more than happy to go broke in CO v BU with even JJ+ and AQ+ given the aggro preflop dynamic between these positions. my problem is in justifying this at nl10 by assuming i have decent equity with JJ/AQ vs a BU stackoff range. what i mean is i might need ~40% equity in order to call a 5bet ship but the thing is i don't think i've ever seen any non-fishy player stack off with <AK/QQ+ without any history which means if i 4bet with AQ and get shipped on, i should just fold since i only have ~25% equity.

is my reasoning for 4betting okay here? and can i 4bet bluff successfully with AQ without having to call a ship or do you think i should be bluffing with trashier hands that aren't necessarily at the top of my folding range? if so then i don't understand which of these two are right:
      1) 4bet bluff with trashy hands containing blockers
      2) 4bet bluff with the top of our folding range

ty!
  • 5 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Aq here is definitely strong enough to call especially when his 3b size is on the smaller side. I will never use such a strong hand to 4bet bluff.

I also think your 4bet size is way too large. Whwn you make it so large you need your bluff to work somewhere between 65-70% of the time. If u make it 1.90 here you need abt 58% fold equity.

That's a lot of difference. If u have more questions feel free to ask. I think u should be familiar with the concept of using the best hands you cannot call with as part of your 4b bluff range and as we have deduced earlier AQ is crushing BU's range here.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      you mean AQ is strong enough to flat his 3bet? i stopped calling 3bets OOP a long time ago since reading a lot about how bad it is. i understand if your postflop game is really solid then it shouldnt be a problem since you will be dominating a ton of their 3bet range by calling with AQ here but at the same time i'm really not sure how to approach flatting OOP. i always feel like i fold the best hand to aggression too often or i hang myself against better hands when i continue. for that reason i never even consider calling lol. maybe it's a mistake.. but im not 100% confident in my postflop game.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      You'll probably need a better understanding of their postflop frequencies to decide which street to fold if you do hit top pair. But in general, it's never going to be a huge mistake to not fold if you do it, provided the villain has a sufficiently wide range preflop.

Of course if you don't think you can call AQ in a particular situation, you could just 4bet AQ (either for value vs a wide 5b range, or as a bluff vs a very strong 5b range). I just don't think this is the case here.
    • fortunewheel
      fortunewheel
      Bronze
      why r u 4 betting 4x , that's just silly. No reason to give urself a bad price. Make it anywhere between 1.70-2$. pretty much generates the same result. i agree that at 10 nl u might 4bet a tad bigger than 2X because otherwise people tend to call superlight and put u in awfull spots. 2.3x should suffice though
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fortunewheel
      why r u 4 betting 4x , that's just silly. No reason to give urself a bad price. Make it anywhere between 1.70-2$. pretty much generates the same result. i agree that at 10 nl u might 4bet a tad bigger than 2X because otherwise people tend to call superlight and put u in awfull spots. 2.3x should suffice though
      yeah i know it was a mistake here. im actually 4betting too big in general so i'll be changing my ways for sure. for some reason i was never even thinking about it in the right way. i was just thinking a 4bet should be ~xbb rather than basing it on the 3bet size of my opponent. a dumb leak which is being plugged. ty