This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] #12 AK nl20

• ilidek
      ilidek
      Bronze
      Hero (BTN): $20.30 (101.5 bb)
      SB: $30.04 (150.2 bb)
      BB: $20.74 (103.7 bb)
      MP: $20.20 (101 bb)
      CO: $22.91 (114.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A:spade: K:diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB raises to $1.50, BB folds, Hero raises to $3.90, SB calls $2.40

Flop: ($8) 5:heart: J:club: T:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $4, SB calls $4

Turn: ($16) 6:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($16) 4:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

cbet here?
  • 6 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: I think your 4bet size could be smaller. Personally I tend to have a hyper aggressive 4bet style which is why I like to make it smaller (cheaper for my bluffs). Also being in position, it is much less likely for them to flat the 4b, even if you make it $3.

Flop: If you want to bet, make it 3$ and it should be enough. Checking back is also an acceptable option. We can induce bluffs from AQ KQ and some worse hands.
    • ilidek
      ilidek
      Bronze
      Can you tell me more about your game style? I mean ranges that you make 3b for bluff and for value and 4 bets for bluff. I know every situation is different but I want to start somewhere.

I'll write down my ranges, if you can, tell me what do you think about them:
      3bet for bluff IP (even vs UTG / MP) yeah people tend to have stronger range on UTG but still most people open ~8-12% sometimes even more. Value hands are 2.5% so when they open:

8% => 31.5% are value hands
      12% => 20% are value hands
      16% => 16.5% are value hands

Even with 8% First open they will fold 68% without bluffs 4b. Untill they don't start 4bet me light I 3 bet IP with range, lets say:

for bluffs 7%: A2s-ATs, K8s-KTs, Q9s-QTs, AJo, KJo, KQo (those hands have card remove efect, most of them are suited so it's easier to play, and I won't be dominate because of cold calling with to weak range)
      for value 1.5% QQ+
      I can cold call with AK and get more value from AQ / AJ

my 4bet range:
      for bluffs vs blinds 7% A2s-AJs, KJs-K8s, Q9s-QJs, KQo, AJo
      for value vs blinds 3% JJ+ AK
      cold call AQ,KQs

4bet range for MP/CO/BU:
      for value 2.5% QQ+,AK
      for bluffs 3.5% AQo, ATs-AJs,KTs-KQs
      it's hard to add more because from UTG because I open:
      22+, ATs+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs+,AQ+

I am not sure about blinds and how to play them but what do you think about my range 3b and 4b IP

I would make sizings:
      for 3b 3x open (9bb / 12bb)
      for 4b 2x 3bet

What do you think about it? Latter I'll do something for SB and BB because those things aren't that simple because I need to know how to play postflop those hands and to be honest I don't really know where to start with them. So first things first, now I want to make my 3b and 4b range. I don't need 5% 10% 15% 3b ranges because right now I want to keep things simple I think until NL50 or NL100 I don't need those things and I should focus on simple things because people don't adjust.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      3bet sizing

vs 2bb opens, I make it 7-8bb OOP, and 6bb IP
      vs 3bb opens, I make it 10-12bb OOP, and 7-9bb IP

Vs 10% opening range or less, I think just flatting your entire range may be a good idea (as part of a balanced game plan). But you can just 3bet KK+ for value vs such a tight range, and flat everything else. I don't see too much reason to have too many 4bet bluffs. I may 3bet AQ as a blocker bluff type of hand, I don't think AQo is a profitable call vs a 10% or tighter opening range.

In general if you want to be balanced pre-flop, just aim for a 50% bluff / 50% value ratio. You might want to check out my video "Constructing Preflop Ranges Part 1" for 3bet ranges.
    • ilidek
      ilidek
      Bronze
      So how do you make those 4b bluffs? Do you have any ranges or something?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Im not sure if u know how to do the math for such spots, i did cover it earlier on my first few videos perfecting preflop play. You should find that a 5b push needs to work approximately 50% of the time to be profitable. Thus in order to be unexploitable with your 4bets u need to have a 50% bluff and 50% value 4b range.

Look at your opponent's positional 3b. Decide on your value range. Then add a similar number of xcombos of bluffs. Hands which u feel arent strong enough to call. Pick the best hands u were going to fold anyway to use as bluffs.

Example 1:
      Villain 3bets 3% vs our utg range. I flat ak and qq, 4bet KK and AA (12 combos). Find 12 combos of hands to use as bluffs (AQs and some AQo combos).

Example 2:
      Villain 3bets 10% vs our co range. I 4bet TT and AQ. Thats 4.7% of starting hands. Find another 4.7% of bluffs (AJo, KQo etc). I call with 99/88/suited broadways
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Of course whatever i wrote applies more to balanced ranges. Its good to know what the optimal strategy is, then deviate from it against diff opponents.

If someone folds more than 55% to 4bets then start adding more bluff combos. If someone folds under 50% then start adding thin value combos