ilidek
      Bronze
      Hero (BTN): $20.30 (101.5 bb)
      SB: $30.04 (150.2 bb)
      BB: $20.74 (103.7 bb)
      MP: $20.20 (101 bb)
      CO: $22.91 (114.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A:spade: K:diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB raises to $1.50, BB folds, Hero raises to $3.90, SB calls $2.40

Flop: ($8) 5:heart: J:club: T:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $4, SB calls $4

Turn: ($16) 6:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($16) 4:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

cbet here?
  • 6 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: I think your 4bet size could be smaller. Personally I tend to have a hyper aggressive 4bet style which is why I like to make it smaller (cheaper for my bluffs). Also being in position, it is much less likely for them to flat the 4b, even if you make it $3.

Flop: If you want to bet, make it 3$ and it should be enough. Checking back is also an acceptable option. We can induce bluffs from AQ KQ and some worse hands.
    • ilidek
      ilidek
      Bronze
      Can you tell me more about your game style? I mean ranges that you make 3b for bluff and for value and 4 bets for bluff. I know every situation is different but I want to start somewhere.

I'll write down my ranges, if you can, tell me what do you think about them:
      3bet for bluff IP (even vs UTG / MP) yeah people tend to have stronger range on UTG but still most people open ~8-12% sometimes even more. Value hands are 2.5% so when they open:

8% => 31.5% are value hands
      12% => 20% are value hands
      16% => 16.5% are value hands

Even with 8% First open they will fold 68% without bluffs 4b. Untill they don't start 4bet me light I 3 bet IP with range, lets say:

for bluffs 7%: A2s-ATs, K8s-KTs, Q9s-QTs, AJo, KJo, KQo (those hands have card remove efect, most of them are suited so it's easier to play, and I won't be dominate because of cold calling with to weak range)
      for value 1.5% QQ+
      I can cold call with AK and get more value from AQ / AJ

my 4bet range:
      for bluffs vs blinds 7% A2s-AJs, KJs-K8s, Q9s-QJs, KQo, AJo
      for value vs blinds 3% JJ+ AK
      cold call AQ,KQs

4bet range for MP/CO/BU:
      for value 2.5% QQ+,AK
      for bluffs 3.5% AQo, ATs-AJs,KTs-KQs
      it's hard to add more because from UTG because I open:
      22+, ATs+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs+,AQ+

I am not sure about blinds and how to play them but what do you think about my range 3b and 4b IP

I would make sizings:
      for 3b 3x open (9bb / 12bb)
      for 4b 2x 3bet

What do you think about it? Latter I'll do something for SB and BB because those things aren't that simple because I need to know how to play postflop those hands and to be honest I don't really know where to start with them. So first things first, now I want to make my 3b and 4b range. I don't need 5% 10% 15% 3b ranges because right now I want to keep things simple I think until NL50 or NL100 I don't need those things and I should focus on simple things because people don't adjust.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      3bet sizing

vs 2bb opens, I make it 7-8bb OOP, and 6bb IP
      vs 3bb opens, I make it 10-12bb OOP, and 7-9bb IP

Vs 10% opening range or less, I think just flatting your entire range may be a good idea (as part of a balanced game plan). But you can just 3bet KK+ for value vs such a tight range, and flat everything else. I don't see too much reason to have too many 4bet bluffs. I may 3bet AQ as a blocker bluff type of hand, I don't think AQo is a profitable call vs a 10% or tighter opening range.

In general if you want to be balanced pre-flop, just aim for a 50% bluff / 50% value ratio. You might want to check out my video "Constructing Preflop Ranges Part 1" for 3bet ranges.
    • ilidek
      ilidek
      Bronze
      So how do you make those 4b bluffs? Do you have any ranges or something?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Im not sure if u know how to do the math for such spots, i did cover it earlier on my first few videos perfecting preflop play. You should find that a 5b push needs to work approximately 50% of the time to be profitable. Thus in order to be unexploitable with your 4bets u need to have a 50% bluff and 50% value 4b range.

Look at your opponent's positional 3b. Decide on your value range. Then add a similar number of xcombos of bluffs. Hands which u feel arent strong enough to call. Pick the best hands u were going to fold anyway to use as bluffs.

Example 1:
      Villain 3bets 3% vs our utg range. I flat ak and qq, 4bet KK and AA (12 combos). Find 12 combos of hands to use as bluffs (AQs and some AQo combos).

Example 2:
      Villain 3bets 10% vs our co range. I 4bet TT and AQ. Thats 4.7% of starting hands. Find another 4.7% of bluffs (AJo, KQo etc). I call with 99/88/suited broadways
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Of course whatever i wrote applies more to balanced ranges. Its good to know what the optimal strategy is, then deviate from it against diff opponents.

If someone folds more than 55% to 4bets then start adding more bluff combos. If someone folds under 50% then start adding thin value combos