Prove it to me that you can make money off Poker

• Mat55
      Mat55
      Bronze
      Does anyone have hard evidence that you can make money off poker, more specifically, make a living?

I see people winning short term, but never have seen anyone winning long term (being more specific, anyone winning enough for a living).

Can anyone provide a yearly graph that's proof that you made a living off poker?
  • 17 replies
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      First of all, big bunch of people make a living playing poker.

Second, noone has to prove you anything.
    • SRBSavic1
      SRBSavic1
      Bronze
      if he cant do it, nobody can :D
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Darn, I think OP might be on to something......

In reality one of the coolest ways to answer this question is just to post nanonokos old PTR graph.

• Mat55
      Mat55
      Bronze
      Originally posted by staktas
      First of all, big bunch of people make a living playing poker.

Second, noone has to prove you anything.
      Chill. I was just wondering, because I wanted to get into poker.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Mat

Just moved your thread.

RasTweet
    • liguolong
      liguolong
      Bronze
      Sure, think about Tom Dwan, Viktor Blom, etc. search on wikipedia
    • Mat55
      Mat55
      Bronze
      Yes those are pros though, and if those are the only examples then there aren't a lot of people who make a living off it.
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mat55
      Yes those are pros though, and if those are the only examples then there aren't a lot of people who make a living off it.
      If you can make a living from poker aren't you a pro then? :f_confused:

And you dont have to make millions to make a living, for some a couple grand a month might be enough to make a living.
    • Mat55
      Mat55
      Bronze
      Ok bad explanation, I don't necessarily mean that pros are the millionaires, but I do not know what to call the people who make a couple grand a month.

And by making a living I mean atleast 4 grand a month, where you can pay your mortgage, bills etc. So far I only got 1 evidence (apart from that "pros") that you can make a living.
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      It's enough to browse through some blogs here and you will find evidence of many who make decent profit from poker. Also you can e.g. go and check sharkscope and check players from leaderboards.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ghaleon
      It's enough to browse through some blogs here and you will find evidence of many who make decent profit from poker. Also you can e.g. go and check sharkscope and check players from leaderboards.
      Was just gonna suggest this :D

#beatmetoit
    • Mat55
      Mat55
      Bronze
      Usually I see graphs but it's more or less short term profit but I never really know if they benefit in the long term, I will look at sharkscope, never heard of it.

Thanks!
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Also 4k average profit is very good for most people already. Not many will make such amount after taxes in normal jobs. At least not where I live. Obviously these things are relative. Avg. salary in some countries can be below 1k€ so they don't necessarily need to make even close to 4k for good living and building savings at same time.
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      obviously you can win, but its not easy to be a consistent winner. the majority of players will be loosers, some will be marginal winners and very few will be big winners.

you have to work hard at constantly developing your game to stay ahead of the competition if you want to be in that last category.
    • ikkvr
      ikkvr
      Bronze
      watch some graphs posted by internet,pleno1,twicet etc

Read blog of tim64 from where he started now whats he playing :)

watch pokerstars.tv and sunday million final tables :D
    • ChangNoi77
      ChangNoi77
      Bronze
      Poker is a zero sum game, if somebody is losing then somebody is definately winning. As harsh as the rake can be it doesn't make the house the only winner.
    • liguolong
      liguolong
      Bronze
      The rake is quite terrible though. I think the rake I paid is more than the profit i have made and that is probably the same for most regs.