Ben - Small Stakes player - French fishcake

• BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      Hey guys

So my name's Ben, Im a 23-years old French spew.. - player, a business student and currently live/study in the hometown of our famous sicko pleno - namely, Newcastle.

• I started playing poker online in 2010. so its been close to exactly two years since my cash game adventure. Ive played just over 300k hands - not so much of a grinder so :D In the first year or so id spend 6 hours studying the game for 1 hour played. Feel like i have quite of strong theoretical/mathematical knowledge.

• If i used to crush micro and small stakes in the beginning, I dont any more. Here are my last 70k hands (from last november til now).

I play 50nl-200nl. Mainly 100nl. 50nl very rarely. 200nl sometimes.

• Goals/aspirations
      Just want to get better. On a more long-term basis, if poker could be a potential source of income if needed it would obv be great.

• Strugglaments
      Having learned the importance of table selection early on, Ive always been a bumhunter. Till now. For some reasons I seem to look for battling the reg, as i got more confident into my game, talking to 2 (crushin) lagtards on a daily basis, ... i started enjoying clashing them. I used to play something like 23 21 6. i play something like 27 22 7 nowadays. I seem to lose most of my bb's in the non-showdown area - which sounds weird as i just love pulling out big river bluffs and turning a hand into a bluff every time i feel like it. (i know its only one part of the NSD-story but bleh still expected to improve my redline).
      Also, no matter how much focus i put on increasing IP 3bets, i still have a low 3bet kinda style and feel like its one area of my game i should work on. But ive alw learned the motto "dont play a specific style to have specific stats/frequencies, do the +ev, son."
      So I dont know if its a leak or not. Probably.

• Expectations
      And this is what i expect from bootcamp; Spotting my 2-3 major leaks because i seem to have some big ones. Ive already poured over my database 2/3months ago but cant really figure out what I am doing wrong. Counting on this experience to improve.

Here are my stats for these last 70k hands.
      Overall:

last 20k popup if more convenient

I had/have had 3 big influences on my game: Siete777 - back in the days when i used to crush, playing super solid. and Patrick (pleno) and CeranPS (midstakes player on .fr) now ; they both play crazy 30 25 12ish style, putting opponents in tough spots - this is a part of the game ive been incorporated lately and dont seem to have had a lot of success.. Mite be part of the problem.

Position:

vpip filter:

If you have any hints or need extra information, shoot.

First ideas are:
      - compare the style played between the 20k-th and 40k-th hands as i seemed to have done sth better for the NSD. compare to my last 30k hands style.
      - analyse my blinds play because this is where i lose most of my money
      (i play on .fr where the rake is higher - but should be workable - just need to be better).

Looking forward to learning some new stuff.
      Gna
  • 64 replies
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      Just reading gonepoker thread made me think about some other insights i could provide.
      A little bit about my poker mindset and some details:

- think i am a very strong player mentally (I had my first tilt v v recently - the feeling is abs ridic haha so funny. was able to stop right away)
      - i only play 4-6 tables. v v rarely 7-8 tables.
      - i just love studying poker/solving spots , hence the little volume/experienced gathered in the last 2 years
      I do play more than study today though - or 50/50 :P
      - i have a weird reaction to poker swings: if im in a down, i want to prove myself im good so play even more. If im on a big heater i instantly feel satisfied "lol poker's solved" and wont put it many hours
      - contrary to a lot of my poker friends, my swings are v v small. max i lost in a day was probably 5-6 buy ins :baby:
      best day ever was sth like 7 buy ins.
      Dont understand why as i dont seem to play a nitty, cautious style.

there we go.
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      *** Areas to Improve/Feedback ***

• Potential Leaks
      1. Lack of sport.
      Mite sounds weird but since new year i got injured and didnt go run once when i used to do 4 sessions/week. put on some weight etc.

• Follow-up:
      0. NSD winnings quest.
      - stats analysis
      - replayer vpip filter
      1. Amend Note System.
      2. Create Leak List.
      Actively look for uncompfortable spots/where negative emotions come up in game.
      3. Upload a vid.
      4. DB analysis -> bogdan ps.
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      RESERVED
      ***maybe ill upload some videos or sth***
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      RESERVED
    • Desultory
      Desultory
      Basic
      Originally posted by BC1989RF
      So my name's Ben, Im a 23-years old French spew.. - player
      Evening Ben. Calling yourself a spew player is likely harsh. Especially if you have good theoretical/maths knowledge.

• If i used to crush micro and small stakes in the beginning, I dont any more. Here are my last 70k hands (from last november til now).
      70,000hands is not enough to decide that you no longer 'crush'. Variance is completely underestimated by every pro I have met. You may have run bad over this 70k. I have 100k periods where I have broke even and 100k periods where I have 'crushed'. 'Crushing' is a myth imo.

Having learned the importance of table selection early on, Ive always been a bumhunter. Till now. For some reasons I seem to look for battling the reg, as i got more confident into my game, talking to 2 (crushin) lagtards on a daily basis, ... i started enjoying clashing them.
      There is nothing shameful about being a bumhunter. Especially initially when you are trying to get the bankrole to play full time. Being a bumhunter still requires you to play 5 other regs and 1 recreational player...so I don't really contemplate the irrational term tbh. Sitting out as soon as the recreational player sits out is against Pokerstars rules and is just generally unreasonable imo, but leaving a table because a Recreational player left is standard and fine. Equally playing regs because you enjoy playing them is fine, but don't expect to 'crush' long term playing 2 regs. Also expect more variance in an already incredibly variant game.

I used to play something like 23 21 6. i play something like 27 22 7 nowadays. I seem to lose most of my bb's in the non-showdown area - which sounds weird as i just love pulling out big river bluffs and turning a hand into a bluff every time i feel like it. (i know its only one part of the NSD-story but bleh still expected to improve my redline).
      So I dont know if its a leak or not. Probably.
      I've looked at your stats and they seem fine. Nearly every player I've met has a decreasing redline. The ones that don't are super cally/super barrely and that would be a massive adjustment to your game, when your game is probably already +EV. We need to look at specific spots you might be making mistakes in post flop imo.

Also, no matter how much focus i put on increasing IP 3bets, i still have a low 3bet kinda style and feel like its one area of my game i should work on. But ive alw learned the motto "dont play a specific style to have specific stats/frequencies, do the +ev, son."
      You 3bet of 7.85% from button isn't horribly low. Its probably about average. If you are less comfortable having high 3bets (which you must be otherwise you would 3bet more than you do, then I think that is fine). There are plenty of styles pre flop - post flop is by far more important in regards to profits.
      On the button vs co, do you 3bet AQo+? do you 3bet TT+?

From your position stats, Co and button are very low and BB is very good. This could be sample size. Its definitely not a lack of 3betting that is causing the trouble. It might be something post flop that you tend to do in position, that works against wider range small blinds but not against tighter range EP,MP and CO. Its all speculating though. Impossible to know without seeing you play.

The VPIP position stats are interesting. I've never used them before, but after just looking at mine I am 1.5x higher over all positions using a chosen breakeven 100khand sample. I'm not sure what that means tbh?? Maybe you have post flop leaks but it could be purely sample size.

First ideas are:
      - compare the style played between the 20k-th and 40k-th hands as i seemed to have done sth better for the NSD. compare to my last 30k hands style.
      - analyse my blinds play because this is where i lose most of my money
      (i play on .fr where the rake is higher - but should be workable - just need to be better).
      IMO 20k hands is noooo where near enough to analyse differences in winnings and therefore no conclusions can be made about different playing styles. I don't even think 100k hands is enough. You Big blind losses is much better than average.

If there is a problem it will be post flop. I also think you need to understand how bad variance can be, but I can say that to every poker player that has ever played, and they will still not realise.

max i lost in a day was probably 5-6 buy ins
      What is your standard deviation?
      You should experience a downswing of 10buyins nearly 100% of the time over 100k hands. But that is based from my SD.

Video of yourself playing could be interesting.
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      well first of all, thanks for your time mate.

On the button vs co, do you 3bet AQo+? do you 3bet TT+?

JJ+ nearly always. TT id say flat/3b at a 4:1 ratio.
      surprisingly, i 3bet AQ around 50% vs co open. thought i would flat much more than.

From your position stats, Co and button are very low and BB is very good.

Alright ill look in what types of pots i loose most of the bb's CO/BTN.

seemed to be in RFI spots - think i play quite good vs an open from EP/MP. although u said it mite be a post flop problem. ill see if i can go into more details for CO/BTN positions.
      looking into it now tp and weak pairs seem to cause me problems...

will look into it in more details.
      My standard deviation is 9bb over last sample.

You seem to have a different/rather negativeapproach of the game ("crushin is a myth"), insisting on the variance factor etc. Id be interested in hearing your view of the game, and whats your general approach to it.

Also, id be interested in ways of improving my understanding of variance - im pretty sure that, yeh, i dont grasp its importance at all. I read Fooled by Randomness ; if you have other suggestions... happy to hear them.

Will try to upload a vid although some pstrategists playing on the same site mite watch it .. so not sure ill do it.
      -Ben.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global

1. I do play more than study today though - or 50/50 :P
      2. I have a weird reaction to poker swings: if im in a down, i want to prove myself im good so play even more. If im on a big heater i instantly feel satisfied "lol poker's solved" and wont put it many hours
      Hey Ben!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions I will have a thread up soon where you can easily let me know if you updated your thread with anything I might be able to help out with. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so i don't miss anything. :)

1. Is the ratio between studying and playing 50/50 or is the ratio actually different?
      2. If you look at this "issue", why do you think that you react this way? It's usually referred to as chasing losses and protecting wins. Do you feel that whats going on with you?

Cheers!
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      I know Ben pretty well, he used to be living in Gibraltar and he probably lives in Newcastle now because I told him how great it was on a daily basis :D

Ben has serious potential, there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to beat 400/600 as he has a very good mathematical/theoretical approach to the game. However as he is relatively new to the game he has come on very well so far.

Just quickly going from your positional stats:

EP- Seems fine

MP- Probably a bit too tight. Could you send an equilab screen shot of whats your opening range?

CO- Again probably a bit too tight. Could you send an equilab screen shot of whats your opening range? 3bet from the cut off also looks a little bit tight,

BU- Looks good
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      hey Erik thanks for coming along

Originally posted by ErikStenqvist

1. Is the ratio between studying and playing 50/50 or is the ratio actually different?
      2. If you look at this "issue", why do you think that you react this way? It's usually referred to as chasing losses and protecting wins. Do you feel that whats going on with you?
      1. probably 60/40 play/study. i usually start by one hour or two watching vid, going through forums, talking strat etc and play for 3-4 hours. if an interesting spot comes up i usually stop analyse it/talk abt it on skype.

2. i dont feel like i chase losses - i prolly do a little bit. when it comes to winnings, maybe it is protection actually. didnt even think abt it but when im winning big time i usually play a lilbit tighter, passive like im thinking "oh well im in the green, dont need to push up the variance, lets just play solid" or sth along those lines.
      I just feel too good abt myself when i booked a big session and start being a bit more lazy i think.

-Ben
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      Originally posted by pleno1
      MP- Probably a bit too tight. Could you send an equilab screen shot of whats your opening range?

CO- Again probably a bit too tight. Could you send an equilab screen shot of whats your opening range? 3bet from the cut off also looks a little bit tight
      MP open

CO is quite dynamic
      if solidregish table

if nitty button and/or whale in the blinds

for co 3bet, i dont really 3bet utg that often, flat every KQ, AQ stuff. flat AK, TT-QQ a lot too even vs tightish MP's.

-Ben.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach

MP open

Cool, 18% RFI is actually ok, however I think you should still need a reason to not open QJo from MP.

Can also be speculative and open the suited 1 gappers on tight tables and when theres fish in the blinds I would open wider, JTo etc all in my range.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach

CO is quite dynamic
      if solidregish table

if nitty button and/or whale in the blinds

for co 3bet, i dont really 3bet utg that often, flat every KQ, AQ stuff. flat AK, TT-QQ a lot too even vs tightish MP's.

-Ben.
      CO range vs nitty guys seems good. Can open 98/T8o too as well, but not a "leak" by any means. If they are really tight then A2-A5o becomes auto profit too.

On a solid table I still think you can open wider though, T9, J9, A9 all seem like opens. Also opening T7s-K7s as well as 96s, but again not major leaks by any means.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global

1. probably 60/40 play/study. i usually start by one hour or two watching vid, going through forums, talking strat etc and play for 3-4 hours. if an interesting spot comes up i usually stop analyse it/talk abt it on skype.

2. i dont feel like i chase losses - i prolly do a little bit. when it comes to winnings, maybe it is protection actually. didnt even think abt it but when im winning big time i usually play a lilbit tighter, passive like im thinking "oh well im in the green, dont need to push up the variance, lets just play solid" or sth along those lines.
      I just feel too good abt myself when i booked a big session and start being a bit more lazy i think.
      1. When it comes to studying and playing its always a good idea to be structured when it comes to poker. Picking one or two poker strategy concepts and two mental game concepts and really focus on them until you feel you are confident to play even the best regs in those situations. Most guys jump around from one thing or another or this video and that video without a goal on what they need most as a player. Find you biggest weaknesses, high freq spots etc and focus on them. Studying before a session is something i don't recommend if you tend to want to try out the new concepts you see in the video. Chances are you haven't learned them well enough yet and they might just "clutter" your brain while playing. Are you actively dedicating every session to study specific spots you are struggling with for example? If you have two PS concepts and two MG concepts you can just pick and chose for every session on what you will be working on.

2. Chasing losses and protecting wins is usually the two sides of the same coin. They are both connected to results orientation. If you think yourself a better or worse player Can you think of any other spots where results orientation shows up.?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello there Ben,

I love the effort which you've put in your thread so far :) . I did see an interesting discussion regarding the studying/playing time ratio.

I personally think that this can vary a lot depending on goals and player's personal abilities. So we can't really say if having a 5:1 ratio is better than having a 1:1 ratio ;) .

What I would advise you is that you take some time to think about these two statements:

1. Do not learn if you have not applied everything that you've learned to your game yet.

2. Do not play if you are not applying anything to your game while playing.

Many people make a mistake of learning a lot, but not applying enough of the concepts which they've learned. So for example, if you watch videos for an hour or two a day, it's likely that you will gather so much information that you will only apply a couple of % of it.

Another mistake which people make is that they don't focus on applying the concepts which they've learned during the sessions, but just autopilot play instead. I don't think that you have such problems however.

What I would suggest is to watch a video, make the notes from it, decide which new concepts you could apply or which leaks of yours you could fix. Once you've done that, you should work on implementing these in your game during your sessions.

I think it's best if you only focus on implementing one new theoretical thing in your game per session. Some concepts will take more time to implement and others less though. So only move on to the next concept/leak once you're sure that you've applied the previous one to your game.

And then, once you've gone through all of the major concepts/leaks/weakness which you've found using the video and applied them to your game, you should watch the next video.

This way, you will be able to use your learning time way more efficiently!

If you are more interested in the subjects, I have discussed them a bit more in depth in my Learning to Learn video series ;) .

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding productivity, mindset, motivation or learning in poker, as I'd be happy to help you out on your journey!

Take care,

Primož
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Nice disccusion and great advice!
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      Are you actively dedicating every session to study specific spots you are struggling with for example? If you have two PS concepts and two MG concepts you can just pick and chose for every session on what you will be working on.

I used to put much more focus on some aspects on the game while learning the basics. now that i feel that a) i know the theory behind most of the spots and b) dont reallyu know wwhere my problem is, im usually just playing...
      ive tried to focus on 3 things in the last 2 weeks because i thought i was playing rlly good with that in mind:
      - defining preflop ranges as accurately as i can (postflop play becomes natural then i realized)
      - postflop sizings (ppl give so much away at my stakes this is insane)
      - increasing BTN 3bets.

2. Chasing losses and protecting wins is usually the two sides of the same coin. They are both connected to results orientation. If you think yourself a better or worse player Can you think of any other spots where results orientation shows up.?

Can you rephrase that? not sure to understand - i try to be as few result oriented as possible. my HM is set up without the win/loss colours, i looked at my roll /results once every 2 or 3 months etc. This is something ive been doing since the beginning - i just hate the feeling of "wow i play great lately i thin.. wow -7buyins!" happend to me in january. i think i played my v best and somehow my look felt on my roll and i saw that i broke even for a week/20k hands. subconsciously i insta play less aggro/not confident in my reads etc.
      But on the other hand maybe its something i should actually do? accountability/folowing my results more often? would force me to play more "professionnally"/taking things v seriously.
      If i had to go with my guts i would never ever look at my roll ^^ just love the game too much.
      Any advice is appreciated here Eric.

@Primoz
      wow thanks for your words.
      sentence #1 applies so much to me imo. i just love to learn #learnfreak. like i could spend a week watching videos/discussing without playing. i just enjoy it v v much.
      my best months/periods so far have been when i shut down ps.com/skype though.
      I only autopilot preflop i think. hence the focus on preflop ranges.

Your series seems nice - will look at "Fixing Leaks" + "Focus" right now.
    • Desultory
      Desultory
      Basic
      My standard deviation is 9bb over last sample.

You seem to have a different/rather negativeapproach of the game ("crushin is a myth"), insisting on the variance factor etc. Id be interested in hearing your view of the game, and whats your general approach to it.

Also, id be interested in ways of improving my understanding of variance - im pretty sure that, yeh, i dont grasp its importance at all. I read Fooled by Randomness ; if you have other suggestions... happy to hear them.
      Thats a bb/100 SD. I.e if your win rate is 0bb/100 your actual win rate will swing between 9bb/100 and -9bb/100 over the course of that hand sample.

Using a variance graph for a group of players over 100k hands each with a theoretical true win rate of 4bb/100 would lead the unluckiest player to earn -5000 bigblinds while the luckiest earns +15,000 bigblinds.

I wouldn't say 'negative' attitude towards the game. Just more realistic about variance in an overly optimistic profession. Gamblers tend to be

My general approach and play will probably be similar to most regs. I have tried pretty much every style over the course of playing. I doubt many regs can say they've done this. They just stick to one strategy and become bullheaded that it is the best way to play. When imo, its nearly impossible to know given variance.
    • Desultory
      Desultory
      Basic
      JJ+ nearly always. TT id say flat/3b at a 4:1 ratio.
      surprisingly, i 3bet AQ around 50% vs co open. thought i would flat much more than.
      Fine. I think your 3bet is likely to be fine. Its also related to what players you've been playing. If you are playing tough regs then you will 3bet them less because they are less exploitable and this will have a knock on effect to your average 3bet.

Theoretically you should 3bet more in position than opp but this theory wherever it came from originally, doesn't take account that most players just don't open much on the cutoff, and most player do open a lot on the button and sbvbb. So you will always have a higher 3bet vs the higher open%'s. I would worry less about your ip 3bet specifically.

looking into it now tp and weak pairs seem to cause me problems...
      You seem pretty scientific, like me. Which makes us naturally look at these fine detailed stats. But when you truely get your head around variance. All of these stats on HEM2 look really attractive, but I've learnt from experience that its impossible to know which stuff is worthwhile looking at. For you to compair: Top pair weak kicker or worse is -197.84bb/100 for me over 40k hands and my others are positive. So basically same as yours. Nothing to worry about here.
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      All of these stats on HEM2 look really attractive, but I've learnt from experience that its impossible to know which stuff is worthwhile looking at.

THIS THIS THIS THIS!
      Its probably the 3rd/4th time i poured DB's since i started breaking even. But how the hell am i supposed to find my leaks? Okay sure it mite be variance lady only - but i deffo have some.

Will post thoughts i had this afternoon about some potential leaks/ways of fixing them thanks to Primoz and a poker friend.

-Ben