[NL2-NL10] 5nl Fail

• 8 replies
    • Acespeci
      He was pot controlling because hes afraid of the flush on the flop and raising the flop indicate you didnt have the nuts on the flop

So he gamble on the river

I would have restealed him pre-flop with AT -its hard to read your opponent's hand from sb since they can steal loosely.
    • rossd152

If I 3-bet pre. A,J A,Q A,K will often flat o/p leaving me only with betting lead but not certain of my Ace in a bigger pot. Hands like k,10 q,10 j,10..which I want to keep in may fold which is why I don't 3-bet a,10 BvB. :f_cool:
    • metza
      I agree with you saying that you shouldn't 3bet pre here, unless you expect opponent to call with many worse aces which will almost never be the case, you are simply folding out worse and continuing vs better which is something you don't want to do especially when you've got position on him. So wp pre.

As for the river jam I really don't like it. Given the action on flop and turn his range is strong made hands and busted draws. When you overjam you get value from nothing (maybe in very rare cases A5 A6), and you fold out all these draws that you beat anyway.
      I disagree with you that AQ/AJ is calling the river here for this much. I think bet/fold on the river is much better given your line on flop and turn he is basically never raising you on the river as a bluff so you bet 2/3 pot for value and fold to a raise.

So in my opinion it is not a cooler, you overplayed your hand.
    • elchipriota
      I would 3bet pre some of the times.

Would never shove river though, can you really get called by worse?

Not by a solid player.

I would check behind or go for a smaller bet to get value from his Ax range.

• gadget51
      Hi guys,

Moved this to the No Limit forums ok?

• tommygecko
      This is never a value shove. On such a board no one would bluff catch river. IMO you can only value shove here with a flush. With a weaker hand shoving here is mostly as a bluff to get straights and sets to fold, which rarely works at micros. If you think he is pot controlling he is never going to call on the river with a marginal hand.

The biggest mistake here is not the shove itself, but your purpose in shoving(for value rather than as a bluff). No worse hands will call 99% of the time. Better options are to check behind, or bet/fold if you think villain has some Ax in his range that may call your value bet.

Maybe if there is a 4th spade on river and you are so sure that villain is afraid of the flush you can make this move becausethen it is much more likely you have a high spade.
    • mbml

raise flop is extremely questionable. I would probably just call down 3 streets by default if no straights or flushes hit. We'll need him to be a huge fish if you were to raise for value here (he must never fold top pair no flush draw).

As played the river overbet is just overplay. I would not bet so large, you are just over-representing your hand as a flush and I don't see how he can ever call with hands that are worse than yours.
    • rossd152
      So best play is call down and If 4th spade :spade: does not hit are we calling large river bet? :f_o: Just a little in exp. :f_mad: usual play for me is to raise 2-pair didn't consider too much else as i've set blockers but all of you more passive lines definitely make more sense and I can more often then not re-evaluate river ti decide from then whether to go for more value/fold to action in front of me. :f_biggrin: Feel free to look at some of my other hands and pm with responses :f_cool: