Jachis - living out of small stakes

• jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Hi, my name is Janis and Im from Latvia, currently only playing poker. The living in this country is not very expensive, so Its not very hard to make a living even at NL50.

I started playing poker 3-4 years ago, At the peak point I was shooting NL200 but due to lack of discipline, lack of studying enough Im still at NL50. I was very close to NL100 shots in mid february, but now Im on quite a bad downswing so delaying the shots. This year Im barely winning.

I think that my mental game is ok, I tilt very rarely and I can play 3-4h sessions not be exausted. Ive improved my studying habits and doing it on regular basis but still not enough, ratio between playing and studying maybe 1:5 ,so I definitely think there's a big improvement possible and Im looking forward to the march.

From the bootcamp Im willing to take as much as I can. I will try to benefit from it to the max. I will post hands, regs, attend all the coachings and try to be as active as possible.
  • 53 replies
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Here is my this years graph

First time I looked at it, I dont actually check my monthly results on regular basis. I thought Im BE for the year, so feel a bit better now. Im winning and constantly learning something so its just a matter of time to things to go better.

The sample is surpisingly small, but I guess I played very little in january. I feel like these 100k hands I ran fairly bad maybe not EV wise but in other aspects likke running in the top of other people ranges a lot.

Heres the graph the same graph with SD+nonSD winnings

Again I had no Idea I still have such a steep redline down. And I already see that this will be an area for big improvments. I also realized that I dont even remeber last time I analysed my database. I mostly just analyse my sessions, analyse other villains and that it for PT4 use. Definitely need to look at my overall game.

Ill figure out how to post my overall stats and post them later.
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Areas to improve:

* 3betting wider
      * Defending wider against 3bets
      * I think I give people to much credit
      * Choosing when to barrel off
      * Bulffing postflop in general
      * Valubetting thinner
      * Exploting other peoples leaks
      * Analysing my own game

It almost funny, but looks like if I should summarize this list it would be Everything.
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      So here are my stats 100k sample

Overall

Preflop

Flop

Turn

River
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Lets see, what can I say looking at my stats. Very ridicoulous I havent done that myself for quite a while

* Widen CO range
      * 3bet Wider from BTN and CO
      * Defend more from EP or probably just open tighter
      * Defend more against squeezes?
      * Bet IP a lot more when checked to ( In PT4 its called Float)
      * My flop raise and checkraise both are very low
    • Desultory
      Desultory
      Basic
      Originally posted by jachis
      Hi, my name is Janis and Im from Latvia, currently only playing poker. The living in this country is not very expensive, so Its not very hard to make a living even at NL50.
      Lucky you!

Originally posted by jachisI started playing poker 3-4 years ago, At the peak point I was shooting NL200 but due to lack of discipline, lack of studying enough Im still at NL50. I was very close to NL100 shots in mid february, but now Im on quite a bad downswing so delaying the shots. This year Im barely winning.
      How many hands do you play per month / per year?
      How many tables do you play?
      Post me some stats if you like and we can make some comments.
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      I usually play 60-80k hands a month, last year It was like 700k hands dont actually remember, new database this year.

I usually play 6-8 tables, on rare occasions when there are bunch of good tables up to 10.

I have actually already posted my stats few posts above.
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      Hi !

Good to see a local here :)

I took fast look at your stats and your RFI is weirdly distributed. U basically raise same range from EP and MP and EP is very loose IMO. OFC if u have a good winrate from EP, continue doing that, but then most likely u can open much more from MP and most likely from other positions as well. For example, I open only 13.8% UTG, but 60% BU. What I'm trying to say - ur RFI by position should be more linear. Also ur W$SD is very high, it could be because players make very bad calls at your limit or maybe u're not valuebetting enough (it makes even more sense when u combine both)

I'd recommend to c/r flops a little bit more when u skip your cbet especially when it's 57%. U should defend something around 30-40% of your checks with your barreling frequencies, but most likely u aren't with that low c/r. OFC this is balance thing and not needed @nl50 but u should think how often u fold when skip ur cbet, most likely almost always.
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Hi,

About my RFI wierd distribution, I've lately tightened up from EP. Ive noticed that some regs did attack my wide range, but not the most probably.

My old Ep opening range was something like

Now I use much tighter one as default , something like this

The thing is I try to tableselect a lot, and when I have some weaker players in front, I tend to open much wider.

About W$SD I would think its both. I definitely have room to improve on valuebetting thinner. I think im getting some progress here but it comes slow.

Also I did notice myself that Im giving up a lot against Regs with low fold to flop and turn cbet to easily. Lately what Im doing is streghtening my ch/c range with some medium streght hands and rarely some strong ones.

I definitely shoult ch/raise more. My ch/r frequency is super low and I should get a lot of credit. The problem is im not very confident when to continue barreling.

Thanks for the advice
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      I prefer small pp's over some SC's. Also I think A9s-A8s is better than A5s-A4s. My UTG open range looks like AA-22,AKo-ATo,KQo,AKs-A9s,KQs-KTs,QJs-QTs,JTs,T9s

I'd suggest to experiment with some c/r on low suited boards and ALWAYS bet all streets. I'm pretty sure they 3bet all their sets at ur limit and they will give a looooot of credit to your river shove. Doing that u will figure out when to bet only turn or don't bet at all according to their calling tendencies.
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      I've attended all Pleno's coachings and he adocated to fold small PP's from EP, cause they have some reverse implieds against regs. They know you have a strong range UTG so they dont bluff as much vs UTG for example:
      I raise 22 UTG, CO 22/20 calls, I cbet Q82r , reg calls, Turn's 4, I barrel and get raised. Its quite likley that reg will have a higher set and we'll have super tough time folding. Im not sure did I explain correctly why he advocates folding those small PP's, I thought that it makes sense.

I was also thinking that maybe this is more needed at higher stakes, cause at lower stakes there are plenty of bad people who can overplay random hands, but on the coachings he mostly plays NL25 so I thought that at Nl50 field is bit better so it should be done at any stake NL25+

I will experiment with more ch/r bluffing. What hands would you adocate use for that? Hands with more equity like OESD, FD's, ? I guess pair+ gtshts, cause then I block some sets, would it be ok to do with more airy hands?
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      I posted few hands in evaluation forum, oppinions welcomed.

ATs Folding to weak?

KQo fine spot to overbet?

AKo spew or not?
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      Not sure why u hate small pp's. I'm still running very good with 22-55 from EP over last 1m hands. Can't see any reason why should we fold those, I think it should be even more profitable @nl50. Actually I based my utg openrage on winrate over huge samplesize and put there hands I'm winning with and I've any pair there.

When c/r 742ss board we don't need any blockers. On this board I'd expect regs bet 99% of their range when checked to. So ur hand doesn't matter that much, I prefer some sort of Ahi BDFDs, gutshots, some overs with backdoor fds and similar stuff that will hit the nuts ~5-10% of the time on river.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there Janis,

I would like to help you improve your studying habits :) .

May I ask how your studying looks right now (when do you do it, how do you do it?) and what you would like to change about it (only the amount or other things as well? how much would you like to study in best case scenario?)?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,

-Primož
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      19-20% is very loose from UTG, you can drop it to 15-17%. But still I'll always open 22-55. You are not playing NL1k so I think you can definitely get away with it and make a profit.

I don't like opening ATo and A9o but other than that I think opening the stronger mid-suited connectors and AXs is acceptable.
    • luca02
      luca02
      Bronze
      Originally posted by getdotacom
      Not sure why u hate small pp's. I'm still running very good with 22-55 from EP over last 1m hands. Can't see any reason why should we fold those, I think it should be even more profitable @nl50. Actually I based my utg openrage on winrate over huge samplesize and put there hands I'm winning with and I've any pair there.

When c/r 742ss board we don't need any blockers. On this board I'd expect regs bet 99% of their range when checked to. So ur hand doesn't matter that much, I prefer some sort of Ahi BDFDs, gutshots, some overs with backdoor fds and similar stuff that will hit the nuts ~5-10% of the time on river.
      Are you checkraising sets and flushdraws aswell in those spots?
      I tend to only ch/r with bluffs, but aren't we super exploitable then if we don't balance this with value hands?
    • Varune
      Varune
      Bronze
      Originally posted by luca02

Are you checkraising sets and flushdraws aswell in those spots?
      I tend to only ch/r with bluffs, but aren't we super exploitable then if we don't balance this with value hands?
      Seems quite exploitable to me aswell. As the board doesn't hit your range whatsoever imo and you would cbet most of your fd's i guess. Making your ch/r more bluffheavy?
      I imagine myself floating the ch/r quite alot and you're gonna have a bad time on random blanks imo.

Thoughts?
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      Definitely c/raising sets. Something like AA could be an other option, but I like c/r sets and cbet overpairs. We are capped to AA when we cbet, but I don't give a **** about that 100bb deep. Deeper maybe we wanna bet some sets to have the nuts in our range.

Edit : I think we should have some combos of FD's, but not that many. Maybe a couple of nut fd's.
    • luca02
      luca02
      Bronze
      Definitely c/raising sets. Something like AA could be an other option, but I like c/r sets and cbet overpairs. We are capped to AA when we cbet, but I don't give a **** about that 100bb deep. Deeper maybe we wanna bet some sets to have the nuts in our range.

Edit : I think we should have some combos of FD's, but not that many. Maybe a couple of nut fd's.
      Oke thnx!
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hey there Janis,

I would like to help you improve your studying habits :) .

May I ask how your studying looks right now (when do you do it, how do you do it?) and what you would like to change about it (only the amount or other things as well? how much would you like to study in best case scenario?)?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,

-Primož
      Hi,

I dont have a well structured plan of what to study. When playing I try to find spots which put me in trouble and mark all those hands and after session post them in evaluation forum. Then I look for videos about the topic im struggling.

Lately I start my day with the video and try to get the most out of it. Afterwards when playing I try to focus on these spots and apply what I've learned. Sometimes get carried away and overdo it.

Also I try to attend some public coachings.

Firtstly I would like to be studying on regular basis. I think I know what should I be doing, but Im not. I browse PS forums, sometimes 2+2 thinking I use my time very usefully but im porbably not. I have trouble building good habits, after few weeks I stop for some reason. Not everything I try but a lot.

Best case scenario would be that I study like 1-2+ hours every day.