getdotacom - grindin midstakes

• getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      Hi !

My name is Jānis and I'm from Latvia, I'm 24 years old. Playing poker professionally for last 3 years, also trying to combine it with my studies in University.

:club: I play nl200-500, lately only nl200 because of sick ds in January. I used to play on stars, now testing out waters on French stars.

:club: I learnt the rules of this game ~5-6 years ago, first 2 years I played some home games like once a week.
      I started my online career with some micros sngs, then switched to MTT's, HUSNG's ... I couldn't stick to one game until I found cashgames. Started in 2011 on FTP. Played rush nl10 and got to nl100 pretty fast, like in 2 months. When ftp closed I lost all my moniez, grinded it back from a scratch on stars and here I'm now :)

:club: I don't have any long term goals, I usually have some plans for maximum a year. OFC I wanna improve my game and all std stuff u all know and I don't have to write it :) My goal for this year was to get away from nl200 and start playing nl400 and higher only, it looked very hopefully a couple of months ago, but not now. Still I have a plenty of time to do that and I will try.

:club: I'm struggling a lot of making super exploitable plays far from optimum. Mostly because I used to grind a ton of tables and after a couple of million hands u perfectly know what is "standard" play with any hand in any situation. Now I'm playing less tables, but can't get away from making insta decisions. I hate myself for clicking wrong buttons, but it happens very often where I kinda know how to exploit this guy, but already clicked the wrong button without looking into his stats etc.

:club: Most likely I could just copy this section from other threads, so I'm not going to write all that bs :) In general I want to hear other people thoughts on some topics and participate in some interesting discussions. Also I want to improve some parts of my game a little bit - I wanna improve my flop play vs raise, play in smaller pots and maybe some other specific things.

CYA soon !
  • 29 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      This should be really interesting.

I messaged GDC yesterday. Asking him "in?" he was like "sure" and I was happy I had found a good coach for the boot camp.

Instead GDC actually made a thread and wanted to do it this way, which is really cool and works well.

I'm very confident in your game, think you are a very good player, especially from a theoretical point of view, however this could mean you need this thread more than anybody.

On the poker ladder, you should be up there crushing the NL500 guys, but of course variance gonna variance and I think speaking especially with the psychology guys is really going to help you, especially when you start taking shots at 500 again.

Good luck in this quest mate and I'm sure you will get out of it what you put in.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global

1. :club: I don't have any long term goals, I usually have some plans for maximum a year. OFC I wanna improve my game and all std stuff u all know and I don't have to write it :) My goal for this year was to get away from nl200 and start playing nl400 and higher only, it looked very hopefully a couple of months ago, but not now. Still I have a plenty of time to do that and I will try.

Hey gdc!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions I will have a thread up soon where you can easily let me know if you updated your thread with anything I might be able to help out with. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so i don't miss anything.smile

1. Setting non results oriented goals short, medium and long term on things you can improve on as a player is a powerful tool if you can get organized. For example being specific on the spots were you feel you make suboptimal plays and make that you number 1 priority for a month might be a good idea.

You didn't mention any real Tilt issues or such. if you have any I'd be happy to help with that.

Cheers!
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      @pleno

LOL, I kinda didn't get what u want from me yesterday. Today I opened this piece of awesomeness and decided why not :P I saw u already have many great coaches in training section, not enough with them ?

1. Setting non results oriented goals short, medium and long term on things you can improve on as a player is a powerful tool if you can get organized. For example being specific on the spots were you feel you make suboptimal plays and make that you number 1 priority for a month might be a good idea.

Yes, definitely should work on that. I read this in some book and tried doing it, but didn't get very far. Usually didn't get done what should be in time and finally stop doing at all. My biggest problem actually is laziness I guess, any suggestions how to overcome that ?
    • tadcka
      tadcka
      Black
      Gratz on sexy avatar :f_love:
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      going to follow this. i like your thought process.
      #fknlazzytoo.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there Jānis,

it's pretty awesome to have a coach as a soldier as well, there should be some quite interesting discussions going on in here :) .

Setting goals is great, but before you do that, i'm wondering... what is your vision in poker?

In other words, what are the answers to these questions:

1. Why do you play poker?
      2. What do you wish to achieve in poker?
      3. What motivates you to play poker?

And then, i'm also wondering, what is your mission? Mission is simply a plan for achieving what you want to achieve. So - how do you plan on doing it :) ?

Once you've got those questions answered for yourself, it'll be way easier for you to set efficient goals, as they will simply be steps on the road to your vision, which will ensure you to go in the right direction ;) .

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

-Primož
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hey there Jānis,

it's pretty awesome to have a coach as a soldier as well, there should be some quite interesting discussions going on in here :) .

Setting goals is great, but before you do that, i'm wondering... what is your vision in poker?

And then, i'm also wondering, what is your mission? Mission is simply a plan for achieving what you want to achieve. So - how do you plan on doing it :) ?

Once you've got those questions answered for yourself, it'll be way easier for you to set efficient goals, as they will simply be steps on the road to your vision, which will ensure you to go in the right direction ;) .

-Primož
      I probably should do this also. But my question to you is, how do you train your mind or how does this exactly help your mind?

I mean we all are very competitive, and as poker players we understand variance better than anyone else, but when it happens we still tilt to some degree, and that obviously affects our thought process. Also I understand that personal life has a lot of influence on this, and if we are stressed out over bills/family problems etc we are more likely to tilt.

But does goal setting, having a plan to achieve it help us control our mind better?

Also in for the awesome thread of course.
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      it's pretty awesome to have a coach as a soldier as well, there should be some quite interesting discussions going on in here .

I'm a coach only starting from today I guess ... That's because pleno wanted me as coach here and changed my avatar :P

I will try to answer these questions :

:spade: I need money for living and I don't have any other income
      :spade: I'm a huuuuge fan of mindgames and I enjoy this game
      :spade: I wanna improve my skill and be able to play on high level with very good players (mostly not because of money but entertainment. I still won't do it while I can't play at least on same level )
      :spade: This is the hardest one. Mostly because I can do what I like and get a lot of $$$ for that. Also I want to play live some day and travel around the world doing that.

It will take some time to write down my mission, so I will try to do that some other day.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by serverm07
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hey there Jānis,

-Primož
      I probably should do this also. But my question to you is, how do you train your mind or how does this exactly help your mind?

I mean we all are very competitive, and as poker players we understand variance better than anyone else, but when it happens we still tilt to some degree, and that obviously affects our thought process. Also I understand that personal life has a lot of influence on this, and if we are stressed out over bills/family problems etc we are more likely to tilt.

But does goal setting, having a plan to achieve it help us control our mind better?

Also in for the awesome thread of course.
      Hey there serverm07,

yep, in my opinion every person who wants to be (even more) successful in a certain area of life should have a clear vision and mission, so it will definitely benefit you as well.

Hmm, could you perhaps be a bit more specific about training your mind? Having a clear vision and mission enables you to know what exactly you want to achieve and how to get to it. Then, you can make goals which will actually be in line with your vision/mission and will not be just some random goals, like grinding 100k hands/month "because it's good to have goals".

A clear vision and mission will motivate you (because this is intrinsic motivation or the motivation within you). So by example by reviewing what you really want, you can:

-constantly remind yourself about what you want (and don't forget about it)
      -motivate yourself
      -constantly hold yourself accountable for doing the things within your vision/mission, so that you can see where you have the problems and track your progress.

If you are constantly reminded about what you really want in your life and how to get it, this will slowly integrate into your daily life and thinking. If you know what you want and how to get it, you won't spend the whole afternoons on the internet browsing facebook, because you will know that you do not want yourself to waste time like that, which is why you will avoid doing that.

So if you want to change some things about your mindset, simply write them in your vision statement and figure out what you need to do to change them (mission). Then set goals which will enable you to make steady progress towards that change. You can do this for pretty much everything in your life.

For example:

Vision:
      I want to be very fit and have a nice body with a lot of energy.

Mission:
      In order to achieve that, I will need to change my nutrition plan to a healthier one and start doing some cardio + strength exercises.

Goals for the next week:
      -Start jogging 15 minutes each day
      -Avoid eating junk food and sweets
      -Find some good strength exercises for myself

So to answer your question, yep, having a good plan made out of actionable steps and reminding yourself to stick to it + holding yourself accountable will help you transform your mind in a state which you want it to be in.

@Jānis:

I like that you've taken the time to answer the vision questions already. I'm looking forward to your mission as well. Know that having a detailed vision and mission is very good though - the clearer your destination is, the more likely it is that you will be able to reach it :) .

So if you go into more detail about your desires, it can benefit you a lot in the long run.

I can see that you playing poker is very connected to money, which could cause you to tilt (because if you're not winning money, then what is the point of playing?). Could you perhaps think a bit more about the things (apart from money) do you enjoy about poker? Is it the challenge? Is it the technical side of it? Do you like solving tough situations? Do you like the competition? etc. :) .

Take care!

-Primož
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Yes, definitely should work on that. I read this in some book and tried doing it, but didn't get very far. Usually didn't get done what should be in time and finally stop doing at all. My biggest problem actually is laziness I guess, any suggestions how to overcome that ?
      Laziness is a tricky word and subject. It's often used as a scapegoat and excuse in the sense that we put that as a characteristic of our person. But if we look a bit closer however and take a step back we can start to see some patterns. The areas where we are lazy are pretty much always in areas where we feel worse if we put in a ton of work and still "fail". Poker, diet, relationships whatever it might be. We know something would be good for us, studying poker for example, but we still don't do the work. Then there is usually an emotion or "resistance" there holding us back. It can be connected to a fear of failure in the way that we can always say to ourselves that "Well i didn't succeed now but thats because i didn't study enough". This can work on very subtle levels and its basically fear hiding behind a rational thought that doesn't really hold water when we look at it under the microscope so to say.

Does anything of this resonate with you?
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Idk about him but it relates to me haha
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by LgWz
      Idk about him but it relates to me haha
      Two birds, one stone! :D
    • Lackoogcb
      Lackoogcb
      Black
      Hello!

I have one question!

I can't explain why, but somehow I feel... I really don't know why or what clue led me to it, but I just feel it in my bones that you might do... so here comes my silly suspicion... dude, do you play dota? :s_cool: and if you do how can you harmonize with poker? :D because I simply can't so I just always uninstall steam and dota 2 :D
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      Originally posted by Lackoogcb
      Hello!

I have one question!

I can't explain why, but somehow I feel... I really don't know why or what clue led me to it, but I just feel it in my bones that you might do... so here comes my silly suspicion... dude, do you play dota? :s_cool: and if you do how can you harmonize with poker? :D because I simply can't so I just always uninstall steam and dota 2 :D
      Yeah, I play dota and actually I'm playing it at least twice as long as poker :) It's something like 7 or 8 years now. Dunno, I usually play dota only after a couple of sessions or when I'm not able to grind, like I'm drunk xD
    • Lackoogcb
      Lackoogcb
      Black
      do you play 2? or still dota 1? you should add me on steam: Lackoogcb or Lackoo87gcb i'm not sure, I'll buy dota coachings :D i played w3 for wcg, then dota for fun 2-3years and now little d2, but if it is installed I can't play poker for a long time, cause I'm always like -1BI? fuck that i have to play dota to relax :D
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Originally posted by getdotacom
      Originally posted by Lackoogcb
      Hello!

I have one question!

Yeah, I play dota and actually I'm playing it at least twice as long as poker :) It's something like 7 or 8 years now. Dunno, I usually play dota only after a couple of sessions or when I'm not able to grind, like I'm drunk xD
      Any chance you played war3 competitively?
    • Lackoogcb
      Lackoogcb
      Black
      yes :) with the nickname: KO.Lackoo, but I only played on bnet and on wcg hungary, didn't get qualified to the "main wcg" ever :( but won a few championships in Hun
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      I'm playing dota2 for like 3-5 months. I see many gamers here xD Maybe u play sc2 as well ? Can't w8 4 hots ...
    • Lackoogcb
      Lackoogcb
      Black
      nah, i never played sc, I don't like laserbeams, well maybe I do like them, before wc3 I played q3, that was just a best

nice steam nickname you have :D