Bronze
      $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

Hero (BB): $26.81 (107.2 bb)
      BTN: $25 (100 bb)
      SB: $20.70 (82.8 bb)
      CO: $13.52 (54.1 bb)
      MP: $54.37 (217.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J J
      MP raises to $0.75, CO calls $0.75, BTN calls $0.75, SB calls $0.65, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($3.75) 8 3 8 (5 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, CO bets $0.75, BTN calls $0.75, SB folds, Hero raises to $5.50, 2 folds, BTN calls $4.75

Turn: ($15.50) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($15.50) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $3, Hero calls $3

Results:
      $21.50 pot ($1.07 rake)
      Final Board: 8 3 8 K 7
      Hero mucked J J and lost (-$9.25 net)
      BTN showed 9 8 and won $20.43 ($11.18 net)

Hi!
      What's the best thing to do in this spot? Sqz or CC for "setmine"?
      MP is a standard 22/18 regular, he opens 19% from that pos (folds 55% vs 3b from MP).
      BU is a reg also and the other two are fishes.

Now I think that sqzing is better to isolate myself with (one of the) weaker players and I am way ahead of a 19% range with my JJ-s.
  • 4 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: So much dead money in the pot. I think this is a very easy squeeze with a hand as strong as JJ.

Flop: I think your raise size is way too large. You are potentially overplaying your not-so-strong hand. I would only raise it up to 3$.

Turn: No more value on the Turn on this scare card so check is good.

River: I think we have the best hand here fairly often now so I'll bet 6-8$. When you check the river with the intention of calling, I think he will mostly bet stronger hands and check back weaker hands.

Thanks.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

Preflop: So much dead money in the pot. I think this is a very easy squeeze with a hand as strong as JJ.

Flop: I think your raise size is way too large. You are potentially overplaying your not-so-strong hand. I would only raise it up to 3$.

Turn: No more value on the Turn on this scare card so check is good.

River: I think we have the best hand here fairly often now so I'll bet 6-8$. When you check the river with the intention of calling, I think he will mostly bet stronger hands and check back weaker hands.

Thanks.

Is there a point in raising flop 5 way even smaller size, if we didn't sqeeze preflop? If we didn't sqeeze, it means we are afraid that MP has QQ+, so nothing changed on flop. What do we do if someone 3bets flop? Also I think if someone calls our raise, it is mostly with 33 (slowplay and let opponent spew), and 8x calls (it is very likely that people call multiway 87s, 89s, A8s and they are just afraid of you having FH so they call), and I am not sure if we can expect 99, TT, or fd to call our raise 5 way.
      Also on turn when flush completes, we are worse almost each time against villian, unless he is huge fish and calls worse than JJ. I think it doesnt change much postflop even if we have AA, imo it is still overplay, and we just get called by better
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      We lose less money when others come over the top and we can just muck our hand.

I'm also not a huge fan of raising here, but I feel like we have to when villain's bet is just so small and silly and others may just come along with overcards.
    • Csubakoppanny
      Csubakoppanny
      Bronze
      Thank you!