[NL2-NL10] JJ on T98 board

• Jafreiteris
      Jafreiteris
      Bronze
      Full Tilt, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $5.16 (103.2 bb)
      CO: $2.05 (41 bb)
      BTN: $3.50 (70 bb)
      Hero (SB): $10.17 (203.4 bb)
      BB: $5.61 (112.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J J
      MP raises to $0.15, CO folds, BTN calls $0.15, Hero raises to $0.40, BB calls $0.35, MP folds, BTN calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.35) 8 9 T (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($1.35) T (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.65, BB calls $0.65, BTN calls $0.65

River: ($3.30) J (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, BTN bets $2.45 and is all-in, Hero calls $2.45, BB folds

Results:
      $8.20 pot ($0.54 rake)
      Final Board: 8 9 T T J
      BTN showed 7 7 and lost (-$3.50 net)
      Hero showed J J and won $7.66 ($4.16 net)
      BB mucked and lost (-$1.05 net)

Should i be afraid if the played shoved with bigger stack because he could have straight flush?
  • 6 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Jaf,

You've played this hand way too passively.

First, I would cbet the flop for value/protection.

Second, you should be shoving that river because any Qx and even 7x along with flushes will get the money in. Straight flush is Q9 and 97, do you really expect to see many of those? That's unrealistic.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi,

Preflop: Size is way too small. You are asking for trouble cos you are inviting multi-way action. We should always try to avoid playing in multiway spots, cos when there are more than 2 players in the hand, the advantage of having the initiative is greatly diminished, as it is just tougher to bluff with more players around. We also get sucked out on way more often with our strong hands more often. Squeeze here to at least 55-60cents.

Flop: This is so dependent on the villains. Vs bad players I would just bet for sure. Vs strong players who only raise the Flop with a balanced range of hands, then checking may be good as we don't really want to get raised here.

Since BTN is clearly a fish with his 70bb, betting is by far the best play.

As played we should shove and hope to get called by straights or TX.
    • Jafreiteris
      Jafreiteris
      Bronze
      I got crushed by straight flushes about 4 times having 4 of a kind or even better, so its traumatic for me, as all 4 times finished by other player shoving river card :)

And do i undestand right? shove and expect to be called by straight? is that lower straight i would be only 33 % favorite...

Ps : thank you for evaluating, i will going to post more hands soon :)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Jafreiteris
      I got crushed by straight flushes about 4 times having 4 of a kind or even better, so its traumatic for me, as all 4 times finished by other player shoving river card :)

And do i undestand right? shove and expect to be called by straight? is that lower straight i would be only 33 % favorite...

Ps : thank you for evaluating, i will going to post more hands soon :)
      Unfortunately we tend to remember the "burns" a LOT more than anything else.

Here you can look at it from a combination point of view.

How many better hands are there versus how many worse hands (that can play for stacks). And the number is just not even that close.
    • malcolmlinco
      malcolmlinco
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jafreiteris
      is that lower straight i would be only 33 % favorite...
      What are you talking about? You have FH! Shove that river all day long and hope someone has flush.
    • Jafreiteris
      Jafreiteris
      Bronze
      I understand to shove in flop and hope be called by straight :)