[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH: AKo in 3bet pot IP

• acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      Villain is playing with stats 22/18/9.8 and fold to 3bet 3/4 in 120 hands. We had some history since until this hand we had played some 3bet pots and I was generally aggresive a lot against him.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($10.12)
      BB ($5.64)
      UTG ($9.23)
      Hero ($10)
      CO ($22.07)
      BTN ($12.18)

Dealt to Hero A:club: K:spade:

UTG raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $0.70, fold, fold, fold, fold, UTG calls $0.40

FLOP ($1.55) 9:heart: J:heart: 5:diamond:

UTG checks, Hero checks

TURN ($1.55) 9:heart: J:heart: 5:diamond: 7:diamond:

UTG checks, Hero bets $0.90, UTG calls $0.90

RIVER ($3.35) 9:heart: J:heart: 5:diamond: 7:diamond: 3:heart:

UTG checks, Hero checks

Lately I started 3betting smaller IP so that I can play more comfortable postflop.

On the flop I thought that he rarely folds (he would probably fold only 88, TT, KQs which I believe are in his range) so I checked with the intention to give up. Should I have cbet this flop?
      After his turn check is my bet right? Should I have bet the river considering the action until this point?
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: I probably prefer making it 80c at the very least in earlier positions. I think smaller 3bets are better in later positions (less often you get cold callers vs your 3bets which is really nasty).

Would also like to point out that smaller raise sizes just make more sense vs wide ranges. I wouldn't do it vs strong UTG opening ranges. You may want to consider just flatting here immediately. I would reckon that a 22/18 guy is opening 15% of hands and I think flatting is going to be the better play a lot of the time.

Post-Flop: Just check back and try to get the hand to the showdown. Betting achieves nothing. If he bets we give up unless we feel that his PF range contains way more unpaired hands than AQ.
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      Hi mbml,

about this small preflop 3bet thing. My thought process is that by 3betting that small we get the initiative + we have position + the raiser will call a lot of hands since the 3bet is small and in most cases he will play fit or fold + we can have a wider 3bet for value range since the raiser may call with some dominated hands (like in this AK hand). What do you think? Where am I wrong?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Small 3bets should be used when u want to habe a wide 3b range, both as a bluff and for thin value.

If your opponent just has a strong range he will hardly fold anything vs the 3b