Kaï

• Yanoux
      Yanoux
      Black
      Hi everyone !

First of all, i would like to thank coachs for this great opportunity.

I was for a while playing Fix Limit 6 max and managed to reach 3/6$ on stars. Two or three years ago i moved to No Limit until NL100. But i m mostly a NL50 regular on French network. Mass multitabling is my curse. Since i started playing No Limit i found out that i could play 12 tables at the same time and get a lot of pleasure doing it. I love action and was always looking for fish. Couldn't stand missing one. But since let say one year my game get less focus and emotion started to get most of it. To be honest with myself french network was really easy at this time. Regular improved when i stayed at the same level.

So my main leak would certainly be my mindset. For a while i was quiet and could manage my emotion on tables. I want to find back this cold blooded spirit. My understanding of opponent is quite messy also. I took so many wrong decisions and i want to refrain myself playing B/C Game. I know that i can manage a solid play. I started a blog few weeks ago following Gordon's challenge. That helps me a lot to find back a good mindset. I play less tables and tried to get better reads from my opponents. And it works... a bit. I m still having tilty time.

I would like to move up like anyone else. But actually the point isn't really to manage being a NL1k+ regular or whatsoever. Understanding is my main goal. I wish one day be able to say that i m awesome at this game.
      So what i m looking for :
      - some kind of frame where i can improve my way of looking at poker
      - thinking more efficiently, cut the bullshit tough
      - control my emotion or let say it this way use it for the best

Looking forward the D-Day !
  • 18 replies
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I also play NL50 at the moment. What helped more to understand villains do an analysis

* I take a look at his stats and write out everything thats out of line
      * Then open a bunch of hands where he got to SD but without seeing his Holecards and street by street think how his range changes with the stats I have written out.
      * Also write out some betsizing reads
      * Then write some generalizations about the villain like : Big 2nd barrel on scare card bluff heavy etc.

After doing this for few days, I really felt a lot better at the tables. Actually sad that I havent continued doing it :)
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there, Kaï and welcome to the Boot Camp :) .

In your post, I have noticed that you have problems with staying focused, and I would like to help you fix that problem.

To be able to fix it efficiently, I would like to know a bit more about you though.

Could you perhaps take a bit of time to answer some questions?

1. What does your usual day look like?
      2. What and when do you eat/drink during the day?
      3. How much do you exercise?
      4. Do you take any breaks during your sessions?
      5. What causes you to lose focus? Do you lose focus because your mind drifts away to other things or are there other distractions? If yes, which ones?
      6. How much/when do you sleep?
      7. Do you lose focus all the time, or only at certain times? Do you perhaps know when you are more focused and when are you less focused?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon :) .

-Primož
    • Yanoux
      Yanoux
      Black
      @jachis : Thanks mate for your advice. I stop for almost a week as well. Let's get back to work ;)

@-Primož : You made the point coach. I had such a bad life hygiene this past years. My nickname could be Nosferatu. Never awake during the day, not much sports and my hobbies just turned around friends and get wasted.

I managed to change that from times to times but never for a long term. Anyway i m giving it another shot. And for the moment i m pretty happy with it.

My usual day :

Wake up between 6 am and 9 am. If i feel hungry i eat but i mostly drink a juice and get to play for 2 or 3 hours depending on tables. I m living abroad and tables in french network are really good at this time of the day (between midnight and 4 pm french time). look at some hands played and share with some friend of mine on skype.

Then i got a proper breaky/lunch. Some times at a restaurant where i could get different kind of breakfast. Or i just eat at my place. I had salad today. But it really depends. I like cooking in evening so i always got something to warm up. Veggies/pasta/rices/chicken/pork/fish/...

After lunch i got often lazy time. Watching movie, practising ukulele or just get a nap. Once in a while i go at the gym room in my residence to do half an hour bicycle. I ll also spend some time on internet watching poker video or write on my blog and social network.

Around 2 pm i go back to play. Not that much tables at this times but really easy going. Regular are resting from a long night playing. As my first session it might stands for 2 or 3 hours.

Then i go for a swim and/or a squash. As i said i cook in the evening and got great dinner to finally crash in my bed after some lazy time. I sleep between 6 and 9 hours per day.

It works until i get out partying ;) and got hard time recovering for a huge hangover :)

So i don't take any break during session. I can play between 2 to 4 hours in a raw. I did shortened my session 2 weeks ago for around 45 min long. I stop this cause i don't fucking know. Didn't feel like letting juicy tables i guess. The point is i should do it sometimes. I often get to this point where you start having bad beat and it just happens all at the same short time. Then i get pissed off and start getting unfocus. I should cut my session when i feel it. My main mistakes comes from those little moments of thunder.

That's pretty much it. Feels good to write it down. Let's get move my lazy ass to keep on moving and change for the best.

Cheers
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there Yann,

that sounds pretty interesting :) . First of all, I really love the effort which you've put into writing this. Facing the truth and writing everything down on paper can sometimes be hard, but it is cruical for improvement.

Ok, so let's see. Which parts of your day would you especially like to improve? Are you satisfied with having "lazy times"? Do you want to have them? Would you perhaps like to structure your day differently? What are the things that you would like to change about your day?

I'm sure that Erik will be able to help you out with your mental issues as he specializes in that area, but I can give you some advice on improving your focus. You can take a look at this post for some possible optimizations, although I see that you're already eating quite healthy and taking some time to exercise, which is great.

Do you tend to lose focus during the morning sessions, afternoon sessions or both? Implementing breaks/shorter sessions might be a smart thing to do :) . Perhaps the last time you've tried something similar, you have failed because you have not sticked to it long enough to make a habit out of it? Generally, if you do something for 2 weeks every day, it should become a habit and you will be able to do it without thinking about it ;) . You can take a look at 2nd and 4th chapter of my productivity guide to get some additional info on breaks and habits.

I would like to add that there should be an exception to the breaks though. If you do have some very good tables with some huge fish, i think it's ok to keep playing without taking a break. However, in this situation, things like having water and food next to you will be very beneficial. And if you start losing focus, you can also try decreasing the number of tables for a bit (close the worst ones), which will make it easier for you to stay focused.

-Primož
    • Yanoux
      Yanoux
      Black
      Hey

I had a huge downswing this week end which i finally recovered from yesterday night. Fuck i m a sick fish :f_confused: As usual i played more than i should have. Anyway let's move and change those bad habits. At least i raked like crazy and i get some nice rakeback. But my game man ! my game ! awful ! I m definitely too much result oriented. I m still looking at my graph way too often which always brings emotion over my game.

So it's Monday obviously. New week. Time for the great challenge of all. Don't fucking look at my result for this week. Let's mix it with don't play more than 45 min session.

@-Primož : Thanks mate. It's nice to be in touch with you. You won't believe me but i m living in the same town as erik. We met several times mostly during those tough nights hanging out.

So what i would like to improve. I m trying to avoid those lazy times more and more cause i feel like it's taking too much space. Some are just a waste of time like when i m reading bullshit on facebook for ages or watching movies i ve already seen twice (even tough it helps me improving English)

At the same time i need some times relaxing doing bullshit but i need to find a way to cut them loose. I heard Gordon talking about some kind of app which block social networking after a time period you define. Let's try to find this. Makes me think that i will download tiltbreaker and use it this week.

What would i like to change about my day ? I m often thinking of starting my day by a short run. As i read it in some pokerstrategist blog, it helps to get good sleeping cause of the amount of sun your retina get. I should have kept this blog into my favourite actually. If anybody knows what i m talking about.

That's for the morning part. Which brings to this sleeping issue. I really don't like going to bed except if some nice chick is already inside of it :) Maybe that the solution find a regular bed grinder. For now on, i should start reading before sleeping again. It's been a while since i ve open a book.

Thanks again -Primož

Let's break this lazy time by reading all the stuff you advised me.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

yep, there are a couple internet addons like stayfocusd (chrome) or leechblock (firefox) which enable you to limit the time spent on certain websites :) . Download now!

I'm not sure which blog you are talking about exactly, but yeah, going out and absorbing daylight is good for your sleep quality, and it helps you wake up as well - win-win!

Yep yep, I think you're definitely on the right track with your thoughts.

As for the relaxing activities, perhaps you could brainstorm some of them which won't pull you in and waste the rest of your day, but will recover you and help you get back to work? Writing them down here will help as well :) .

Looking forward to your progress!

-Primož
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      1.So my main leak would certainly be my mindset
      2. thinking more efficiently, cut the bullshit tough
      3. control my emotion or let say it this way use it for the best
      Hey Yanoux!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions you can just post them
      here and let me know in my Q&A thread if i take too long to reply. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so i don't miss anything. :)

1. We can certainly look into that. The first thing I would need is information. So let try to break down the next two topics...

2. Does this mean you are getting distracted during sessions? If so where is your mind wandering off to? What does the bullshit consist of?

3. What kinds of emotions show up when you play? In what areas and spots? What is the sensation and situation like for you? Try to be as specific as you can to help me understand what you are going through in session etc...

Take it easy and work hard! :)
    • Yanoux
      Yanoux
      Black
      @ -Primoz :

About the post you gave me to read :

1. Making sure that you eat healthy meals before your poker sessions. Don't eat junk food/sweets, don't drink soft drink which are full of sugar. You should also try to avoid overeating (which will make you sleepy) and undereating (which will make you hungry and cause you to lose focus). Eating foods such as salads, lean meat, fish, fruit, nuts, etc. should make you feel great during the sessions.
      DONE and i can defintly says it's an habit

2. Staying constantly hydrated. This is VERY important! I would really advise you to keep a bottle of water next to you at all times and to take frequent sips. When you start losing focus, it might be just that you are a little dehydrated.
      Does fish drink ? And for my part of fish i have to admit that i m more a salty one.

3. Frequent exercise will enable you to have more energy/focus throughout the day. Some people also go for a short run/walk outside before their poker sessions, so that they can clear their head of all the information and maintain a strong focus.
      On my way to become the next lance armstrong, i should cut the doping part tough

4. You can also try writing down as many things as possible, which will make more space for your thoughts in your brain and prevent your mind to constantly switch from one thing to another.
      Talking about poker or almost anything you got in mind ? This blog should be a good start

5. Eliminating distractions will also help you with focus. You can turn off the phone, skype, block the internet, etc. during your poker sessions to prevent you from being distracted.
      Let's use Leechblock. Thanks for this awsome addon.

Still working on productivity guide (a lot to digest) but everything here is related i guess.

About the poker part :
      1. You can try switching the number of tables, depending on your current focus. If you are fully focused, play the max amount of tables that you play. If you feel like you're not focused enough, you can taking 1 or 2 tables away, until you get the feeling that you're noticing everything/fully in control.

2. Frequent breaks will also help you with maintaining your focus. There are many options for taking breaks, let's mention just two popular ones. One is to take a 15-minute break every 90-120 minutes, and the other is a bit different (it's called the pomodoro technique). This techniques works in a way that you take a 5-minute break every 25 minutes, and repeat this 3-4 times, then take a longer (15-30 minute) break.

You can perhaps try experimenting with these techniques depending on how focused you are. If you are fully focused, you generally don't need to take a break. But if you're been playing or 3 hours and you feel like you're not very focused anymore, you should definitely take a break to help you out with your focus.

3. You can also perhaps try doing some focus drills, about which you can learn in this video.

Let's put it into action

About the relaxing activities branstorming:
      - Squash (already twice a week)
      - Swimming (almost every two days)
      - Bicycling (same as swim)
      - Running (same as swim but should do a morning session)
      - Improve ukulele (not enough since i m feeling stuck in some kind of level)
      - Read (not doing much exept in front of the computer)
      - Nap (let's makes them short)
      - Listening music (doing a lot during session maybe i shouldn't)
      - Get a massage
      - Basketball (At the same time it may break a bit the day and doesn't really help getting back to work as squash actually)

Cheers
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey,

looks good! I really love your posts, I think others will be able to benefit a lot from them as well :) .

As for listening to music, it depends. It helps some people, it distracts others. See for yourself by testing it ;) . Perhaps try using different kinds of music + try not listening your music, and rate your focus during the sessions to find out what works best for you.

Keep us updated!

-Primož
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Yanoux, let's hope we find you well?

This is just a small reminder to try to keep your thread up to date and posting those questions and your progress.
      It is understandable that other things can and do prevent regular updates but people like your posts and also - see point 4 in your post above! :D

Have fun and enjoy Bootcamp!

Mal.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by Yanoux

4. You can also try writing down as many things as possible, which will make more space for your thoughts in your brain and prevent your mind to constantly switch from one thing to another.
      Talking about poker or almost anything you got in mind ? This blog should be a good start

Write down every time you catch yourself lost in these random thoughts. You will start to realize that many are repetitive. Some will have an emotional undertone such as worry, irritation or concern. Map it out. What you are actually doing then is bringing attention and awareness to where there usually isn't. Then you will much quicker catch yourself doing this and you wont waste as much focus and energy on it.

Also start meditating daily and you will notice that you mind starts to slow down and is more anchored in the present moment. Also obviously tremendously beneficial for you poker. Mindfulness
    • Yanoux
      Yanoux
      Black
      Nosferatu's back since a week now. Today i m wearing a huge garlic necklace. Let's hope i won't have to use hammer and wooden stick. Don't feel like burning in hell.

I was grinding like crazy cause i felt like moving up quickly. This goal isn't so far tough. I played 64k hands since the 1st of march and took around 25 BI in the last 40k hands. Unfortunalty i didn't do much about self improvement. I m still eating healthy food but my life rhythm is just totally screwed up. The good point : wrong decision based on emotion seems to vanish. I manage to take break when i feel getting tilty.

- Drinking and eating along 1hour+ session helps a lot to keep focus. Didn't realize how important it was to just have a bottle of water besides me. Sounds stupid.

- Session last most of the time 45/90 min, sometimes 2 hours in a raw but no more. The pomodoro technique could be interesting but at the other hand if you stop after 25 min you loose dynamic convenience.

- Number of tables is also kind of managing itself. I start with 3/4 tables and increase the number. When tables are becoming too complicated and i feel like i m losing the plot i just shut them. Happens when some regular are giving me to much headaches and there isn't enough dead money (or not really in sights). It prevents from getting pissed off and let those emotion taking the lead.

@gadget51 : Cheers for the reminder

@Schnitzelfisch and @ErikStenqvist : Thanks for your precious advice. I come back asap to keep going on my previous purpose
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      1.I manage to take break when i feel getting tilty.

2.Session last most of the time 45/90 min, sometimes 2 hours in a raw but no more. The pomodoro technique could be interesting but at the other hand if you stop after 25 min you loose dynamic convenience.

@Schnitzelfisch and @ErikStenqvist : Thanks for your precious advice. I come back asap to keep going on my previous purpose
      It's our pleasure dude! :)

1. Great! What are you doing during these breaks?

2. How about taking a 2-3 minute break and just leave the room, do some pushups etc?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again!

Congratulations on your progress :) .

Are there any new problems emerging or any other things that you would like to optimize and improve?

-Primož
    • Yanoux
      Yanoux
      Black
      Tilt 1 Kaï 0
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Tilt 1 Kaï 0
      Hey! What happened here? :)
    • Yanoux
      Yanoux
      Black
      Originally posted by ErikStenqvist
      Hey! What happened here? :)
      Hej ! Nothing unbreakable. Just bad habits coming back. I had some hardtimes this last few days against regulars. I m somehow exploitable and levelled myself.

Let’s get back to work.

Originally posted by ErikStenqvist
      2. Does this mean you are getting distracted during sessions? If so where is your mind wandering off to? What does the bullshit consist of?

3. What kinds of emotions show up when you play? In what areas and spots? What is the sensation and situation like for you? Try to be as specific as you can to help me understand what you are going through in session etc...
      2. Sometimes i m just not really focus and play automatically. I should realize that’s not going to help me improving. My mind is wondering around social network, poker forum, music etc… I ve got enough tool to break those bad habits and i try, but when i m running good i always feel like i don’t need those anymore. Bullshit consists into looking at short term result and change my way of mind towards it.

3. About emotions… Just feel angry against this game when variance gives me hard time or about myself doing stupid move. Sometimes both. I play so much spots that could be pretty much everything. Let’s try to map this out during the next session as you advice me. At the end i m not thinking about ranges and action anymore. Nothing constructive, fighting against a wall.

By the way, nice video erik. Such a voice 
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      2. Sometimes i m just not really focus and play automatically. I should realize that’s not going to help me improving. My mind is wondering around social network, poker forum, music etc… I ve got enough tool to break those bad habits and i try, but when i m running good i always feel like i don’t need those anymore. Bullshit consists into looking at short term result and change my way of mind towards it.

3. About emotions… Just feel angry against this game when variance gives me hard time or about myself doing stupid move. Sometimes both. I play so much spots that could be pretty much everything. Let’s try to map this out during the next session as you advice me. At the end i m not thinking about ranges and action anymore. Nothing constructive, fighting against a wall.

4. By the way, nice video erik. Such a voice 
      2. Try setting alarms every 15 minutes that reminds you to be present. Write out your session goals and have them next to the monitor. When the alarm sounds, read through it again.

3. You need to stop it early before it goes out of hand. Start writing out you tilt profile after every session. What was the first thing you could spot?
      When dealing with variance start playing the game "spotting good variance" Have a notebook next to you and look for every spot where you get good variance. Set ups, good card to barrel or the river flush card save you from stacking off vs a set etc. When it happens note the hand and tell yourself "OMG was I lucky there!" Fake it till you make it!

You have to actively focus on the positive. Do you have all the right in the world to be upset, angry and frustrated about bad beats and variance. Sure. Does it change anything. No :)

You focus on taking responsibility for this moment and bring the best person you can in to the moment, no matter if it's positive or negative. :)

4. Thanks dude! But it seems I am the only one who finds my voice weird haha!

Cheers!