[NL2-NL10] nl10 SH KK on the river

• DrDunne
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, K.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.65) 2, 4, A (2 players)
      BB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.45) 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.45) 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.15, BB raises to $7.30(All-In), Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.6.

so villain is obviously bad with his stack size. his donk on the flop i can't read too much into it obviously since he can have anything from PPs to 4x to Ax to slowplayed QQ etc so i just call. raising turns the hand into a bluff.

on the turn i decided to check back and call any river bet since his check is quite polarised now. i expect him to either be checkraising or mainly folding.

on the river i think i can now value bet vs a ton of his PPs and maybe 8x hands. i bet so big because i think he'll try and bluffcatch with 99/TT/JJ/8x or whatever and i can't really see how he can raise. once he does jam i just had to time out because i really didnt know what to do. i REALLY don't believe him but lately im going to SD way too much and i just need to stop bluffcatching as a default when im unsure.

on the 1 hand his line makes no sense - he can never assume i'll stab the river like this and so plan to checkraise - im checking back way too often once i check back the turn. that means he can be full of shit a lot here and just didnt plan out his hand much.

on the other hand, he's probably quite a passive and bad player and he might be getting fancy with some sort of 4x that didnt understand i was checking back the river so often.

im stumped with this hand and feel like a nit for folding :D

• 1 reply
    • mbml

I think the general game plan is fine. Do we have value on the River though? I'm not too sure about that. His Flop leading range should contain some AX, 5X, 3X, random BS, maybe 2X and 4X. Maybe the 4 improves him but I don't think we should be overly worried

I don't think you should bet so big on the River though. We are targeting hands worse than AX so you cannot bet so large. I may bet something like 60 cents to get a crying call from the opponent. It's close between a small bet and a check back though. Don't forget people tend to play way more AX hands in their range.

About the check/raise all-in: No chance in hell I'm calling here - This must be the nuts :) You'll need some massive read to hero-call here.