SSS Trash Hand Question

• xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Hi all,

One thing that i've been curious about for a while is how to play Trash hands on the flop. The articles say that if you are against one opponent and you're first in, you bet 2/3 of the pot as with a made hand.

My question, however is what if your opponents is first to act, and bets. Do I push all-in like I would with a made hand, or am I forced to fold? I've been folding in this situation, but i'm not 100% sure this is the correct play.

Thanks.
  • 7 replies
    • xxxdannyxxx
      xxxdannyxxx
      Bronze
      playing basic sss,if its a trash hand you fold
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      You only bet on the flop with trash hand if you raised preflop, then you can cbet when you have one opponent. With more than one opponent, play check/fold.

For example you raise with AK preflop, someone in position calls. The flop comes 27J. Here you cbet, if he raises you fold and if he calls you unless you get a K or A you play check/fold.

Now lets say you raise with AK on the button, BB calls. Flop comes 27J. Since he's first to act he bets. Here you fold, unless your pot odds were 7:1 or better.
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tosh5457
      You only bet on the flop with trash hand if you raised preflop, then you can cbet when you have one opponent. With more than one opponent, play check/fold.

For example you raise with AK preflop, someone in position calls. The flop comes 27J. Here you cbet, if he raises you fold and if he calls you unless you get a K or A you play check/fold.

Now lets say you raise with AK on the button, BB calls. Flop comes 27J. Since he's first to act he bets. Here you fold, unless your pot odds were 7:1 or better.
      Cool, that's what I thought and that's the way i've been playing, just wanted to be sure I wasn't losing any opportunities :)
    • Ziim0
      Ziim0
      Bronze
      SSS Guide
      If you raised pre-flop and at the start of the next betting round you already have less than half of the pot left, you also invest the remainder of your stack no matter what. Mucking your hand makes no sense as the pot is too big for that.
      Do I understand correctly, that according to this statement in the SSS guide the next play is correct:
      NL 0.25/0.5. My stack: 10$ Everybody else: 10$-100$
      I'm on the button, have AK, everybody folds to me. I bet 2$, SB calls, BB folds.
      Flop 2 7 J
      I have a trash hand, but only one opponent and he checks. Pot is over 4$, so I bet 3$. My opponent puts me all-in now, but since the pot is bigger than 10$ and I have only 5$ left, I should call here?
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ziim0
      SSS Guide
      If you raised pre-flop and at the start of the next betting round you already have less than half of the pot left, you also invest the remainder of your stack no matter what. Mucking your hand makes no sense as the pot is too big for that.
      Do I understand correctly, that according to this statement in the SSS guide the next play is correct:
      NL 0.25/0.5. My stack: 10$ Everybody else: 10$-100$
      I'm on the button, have AK, everybody folds to me. I bet 2$, SB calls, BB folds.
      Flop 2 7 J
      I have a trash hand, but only one opponent and he checks. Pot is over 4$, so I bet 3$. My opponent puts me all-in now, but since the pot is bigger than 10$ and I have only 5$ left, I should call here?
      No, don't call, even if you're commited.
    • kovibela
      kovibela
      Bronze
      Standard call. You can win with an A or a K. You have the odds for the call
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      You need pot odds better than 3:1, if you got them you can call.