[NL2-NL10] NL20 sss 9players ?on post flop play

• beachman
      This is my first attempt to post a hand to the forum. In the following hand not sure if I (Hero) played the post flop correct, should I have been more aggressive or fold following the minimum bet on the flop. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Poker Room skin
      No Limit Holdem Ring game
      Blinds: $0.10/$0.20
      9 players

Stack sizes:
      UTG: $18.80
      UTG+1: $11.97
      MP1: $23.19
      MP2: $10.89
      MP3: $21.85
      CO: $5.48
      Button: $10.92
      SB: $14.10
      Hero: $4.98

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with
      UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.2 (pot was $0.3), MP1 calls $0.2 (pot was $0.5), MP2 calls $0.2 (pot was $0.7), 3 folds, SB calls $0.1 (pot was $0.9), Hero checks.

Flop: ($1, 5 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets $0.2, SB folds, Hero calls $0.2 (pot was $1.2), UTG+1 calls $0.2 (pot was $1.4), MP1 folds.

Turn: ($1.6, 3 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks.

River: ($1.6, 3 players)
      Hero bets $0.2, UTG+1 calls $0.2 (pot was $1.8), MP2 folds.

Final pot: $2
      Hero shows TD 9H
  • 3 replies
    • DeKuip
      First of all, you can leave the table already. You have $4.98 (let's say $5), which is 25BB. But officially you can also sit down for some more hands :)

About the hand.
      I think you should fold on the flop. You only have middle pair with a average kicker. So you can only hope for another 9 or a Ten (5 outs).

So odds are (47-5)/5 = 8 : 1
      Pot odds are: 1.20 : 0.20 = 6 : 1.

So you don't get the odds to call here.

As played you should definitely bet on the turn!!!
      You have 2 pair and you MUST protect your hand against any possible straight draws here.
      So a $1.4-$1.6 bet would be good here.
      If you get called you can go all-in on basically any river.

You just need to get all your money in with 2 pair. You can easily go broke with 2 pair.

Oh and btw, welcome here and keep the hands coming!! :)
    • burek2000
      Hello beachman and nice to see you on forum!

When you see the flop in freeplay situation you only play made hands(top pair top kicker or better) and monsterdraws(12+ outs) aggresively and you play draws passively(by calling if the villains give you good enough odds).

In your case, you had second pair with medium kicker and back door straight draw, which is not a made hand nor a draw, so the correct play would be c/f against so many opponents.

On the turn, the situation changes, because you hit twopair which is considered a made hand and there you should play aggresively by betting potsize and shoving river.
    • ysessa
      Hi beachman,

I would also not fold the flop, you get nearly the odds you need and you have the implieds to make the call plus ev, but you definitely have to donk the turn close to pot, you don't want to give a free card so many straight draws out there now you have to protect your 2 pair.