Poker Ninja Gonchan

• Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      Hello guys.

My name is Kenta 24 years old, Japanese pokerplayer, and now also studying option.

- What do you play?
      I shoot 100NL at the header of Feb. However, many raise and weird villain made hand made me tilt and now grinding 50NL..

- Poker history?
      I started poker about 5 years ago with myself(even without knowing BRM!)
      and once bankrupted..

I registered PS in 2011 and build bankroll from 100$ to 1000$.

After stop playing about 1 year, I started poker seriously on May last year.
      Through some up down, I now have 1500$ as BR.

- Goals and aspirations for poker?
      stable positon at 1/2 NLHE and earn stable profit.
      Moreover, becoming black member!

- What do you sturggle with?
      1 rage
      When I was winning, my play often stable. There were some mistake but not became too critical.
      However, when I was raised too many times or at too many bad beat, my play was suddenly poor and unprofitable bluff.

Yes, I lost this month 750$ and it was hard session for me.
      However, I could cut my loss to 250$ if I played with patient..

2 laziness
      Especially, when I'm winning, I often be lazy at hand posting and review my own play.
      It seems to cause my forgetting poker basics and made my session more harmful.

- What do you want to get out of the bootcamp?
      1 Tighten up my poker basics

2 learn about mental to make solid play every time
      In other wards, I want to know how to be solid.

3 communicate other nice poker player and know their way to play, study, practice poker.

Nice to meet you :f_cool:
  • 24 replies
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global

1. learn about mental to make solid play every time
      In other wards, I want to know how to be solid.

2. communicate other nice poker player and know their way to play, study, practice poker.

Nice to meet you :f_cool:
      Konnichiwa Gonchan!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions I will have a thread up soon where you can easily let me know if you updated your thread with anything I might be able to help out with. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so i don't miss anything. :)

1. If you have any specific things you want to ask about the mental side of poker. Don't hesitate to ask. Try to be as specific as you can so it's easier for us to understand fully what the issue is :)

2. I totally agree with his point. Take the opportunity in this Bootcamp to meet other fellow grinders and learn and discuss with them. This is invaluable in todays games.

Gl Sir!
    • BrokesoBroke
      BrokesoBroke
      Black
      Hi and welcome!

I'm sure you have come to the right place and these coaches will address all your needs!

You can contact me anytime for help! Who knows maybe I will run into you when I do my Japan/Korea trip! Heh.
    • Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      ErikStenqvist
      konnichiwa :f_biggrin:

I want to ask many specific question. Which is better, should I post your forum, or my own thread for accessibility?

BrokesoBroke

Hi!

I'm looking forward to talking with you and other guys.

About Japan
      I'm living at port town so you can enjoy eating delicious "fish", not only baked but also raw sashimi. Moreover, My town have one of best cuttlefish restaurant.I'm looking forward to your running into.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global

I want to ask many specific question. Which is better, should I post your forum, or my own thread for accessibility?
      You can just ask them here. There are so many threads however so just PM me or let me know in my thread if i missed anything :)
    • Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      ErikStenqvist
      Ok, I'll post here.

1 how to make sufficient goal?
      I think goal such as making xxx $ this month don't make sense and even harmful.
      However, if so, what goal will be the best for playing solid poker and making solid profit.

2 How to avoid focusing result oriented thing when I play?
      Yes, I know I should avoid result oriented thought.
      However, My actual playing is far different from it.

Is there way to avoid it not only with thinking result oriented play is not good?
      another concrete way?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hi there Kenta,

I would like to help you with your goal setting and laziness.

As for the goal settings, I think it is crucial that the goals which you set are in line with your vision and mission. If you don't have a clear vision and mission yet, you can learn how to write them here - I really recommend that you write them in your blog, so that they can hold you accountable ;) .

Once you have a clear vision and mission, it's easy to set goals (and I will tell you how to do it as soon as you write down the mission and vision). The problem with monetary goals is that you don't really have an affect on them. Also, why limit yourself to earning $3k in one month when you could earn $5k or even $10k? In any case, it is not too wise to make goals about things that you do not have a direct effect on.

What do you have an effect on? Putting in a certain amount of volume. Improving your game. Staying focused during the sessions. Connecting with other players to help each other out. And so on and so on. If you set goals which you have an effect on, you will surely be able to improve your game. And as you improve your game, the results will come eventually as well!

As for solving the laziness problem, you can solve it with two things:

1. Having a clear vision and mission and focusing on them, instead of the results (this way it won't matter to you whether you're winning or losing, because you'll know that you need to review hands in order to improve your game, which is what matters).
      2. Setting up solid studying habits. If studying becomes a habit to you, you won't need to think about wanting to study or not - you will just do it!

I suggest that you read the 2nd chapter of my productivity guide to understand how habits are formed and to find some techniques which will help you establish new habits.

I suggest that you gradually increase your studying time. So for example, if you currently review 5 hands a day, you can try to review 6 hands daily next week, 7 hands daily the week after next, etc. It is crucial that you do this daily!

This is slow, yes, but it will help you build a solid foundation. It's infinitely better than trying to review 50 hands daily and giving up after 2 days and procrastinating the activity ;) . If it's hard for you to start something, break it down. It's easier to get yourself to study for 15 minutes than for 90 minutes :) .

Let me know how it goes!

-Primož
    • Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      Vision

1. Why do you play poker?
      as work, making money
      2. What do you wish to achieve in poker?
      Making money enough to invest 500000$ and 10~20% profit per year
      3. What motivates you to play poker?
      buying many games, growth of my poker skill, feeling free to travel foreign country.

Mission

Hmm, making 500000$ is not still imaginable concretely.
      How much accuracy 5/10 NLHE player's play?
      How much effort high stakes player do?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Really love the interaction here <3

Keep up the good work chaps!
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      2. How to avoid focusing result oriented thing when I play?
      Yes, I know I should avoid result oriented thought.
      However, My actual playing is far different from it.

Is there way to avoid it not only with thinking result oriented play is not good?
      another concrete way?
      In a nutshell results orientation is focus on results. We tend to do this because we we want or need to know if we are "good or bad". You need to shift that focus on something else, learning and improving.

Use Schnitzelfisch's structure of implementing learning and improving itself as the main focus of poker off the tables.

Pick one or two areas of pokerstrategy and mental game and focus on those until you feel comfortable with them.

Before you sit down for a session decide what the goal for that session is. Be specific. "I will try to actively not look at the cashier for as long as i can" for example. "I will focus extra attention on my 3b defense today" Then left over focus goes to that. When you have to make decision in other spots of course you focus on the too. But you look for, try to anticipate and really try focus in on the spots you are struggling with.

If you are unable to implement the structure then there might me a fear of failure or hesitation to study. Then we need to look into that...

Hope all is good :)
    • Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      pleno

thx! I'm refreshing my habit and knowledge.
      I'll continue this work.

Erik

I now reading half of Schnitzelfisch's structure of implementing learning
      and consuming it.

Schnitzelfisch

I'm now struggling about my vision and goal.
      I know monetary goal is not effective and I can't do effort toward them.
      However, about improving skill, I scare my "steady" effort let me live with poker.I don't know my effort such as focusing 3bet range one by one is enough for live with poker.

Even so, should I only focus skill improvement what I think is enough?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

well, since you have a vision that is purely monetary, it will be hard for you to make a mission and goals that aren't purely monetary, unless you think outside the box a little bit :) .

So for example, if you want to make $700k a year, it would be very beneficial for you to find the people who do make $700k a year and talk to them about how they've reached that level. Then, you can compare that to what you're doing and change the things that they are doing differently.

Now it still depends on the IQ etc. how much effort you're going to need to put into, but the general idea is the same.

So in order to make $700k in a year, you'll have to probably put in a lot of volume and improve your game to an extent that will enable you to be a winning player or NL1k/NL2k/NL5k while putting in decent volume.

If you are now playing NL100, that means that you'll probably have to improve a lot to get to that level. It might take you years. So in order to go through those years and actually reach your vision, you will have to consistently improve, work on your game, work on your mental game issues and put in volume.

So yeah, in my opinion steady but consistent progress is the way to go :) .

I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence, but I can assure you that if you want to reach the mentioned stakes and be a winning player on them any time relatively soon, there is never "enough" work. You should push yourself constantly, go over your own limits, and maintain the consistency. By saying "ohh i'm working enough on your game", you are stopping yourself from improving even more and getting there faster ;) .

I hope this helps, please let me know if anything is unclear.

-Primož
    • Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      Schnitzelfisch

Hmm, ok, I'll try and keep to focus on my poker skill improvement.

My vision

I want to make money and play agaisnt good skillful players.

and in poker, I want to be known as very solid player and theoretical coach in Japan.

Mission

To achieve these vision, I'll set goal before session and feedback.
      And I'll write it down on my calendar so that I can check my progress.

Moreover, I'll do not only individual hand review but brush up my playing with watching video.

pleno

Thank you for last coaching.
      My goal this week is become UTG veteran(a bit difficult to be master lol)

Anyway, I want to know your learning habit and cycle.
      When and how much you study your skill? and is there point which you especially care about?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

that's definitely a step in the right direction :) ! Now make sure that you remind yourself of the vision & mission daily and hold yourself accountable to it.

I also recommend you to add things to vision & mission when you find out that you should be doing something differently or when you remember that you want something in life.

With time, you can make a more detailed vision, which will be more motivating for you and will make your destination clearer.

But all in all, it's a great start - let me know how you progress on your journey!

-Primož
    • Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      Schnitzelfisch

I'll my vision more clearly.

Now I want to know how to make efficient goal.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global

Erik

I now reading half of Schnitzelfisch's structure of implementing learning
      and consuming it.
      Great! Keep working on that!
      If anything in game or tilt related comes up just fire away :)
    • Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      Eric

Hi,

Today's session is good for me to think about tilt..

Prima, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $50.50 (101 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $70.30 (140.6 bb)
      SB: $51.75 (103.5 bb)
      BB: $50 (100 bb)
      MP: $61.29 (122.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A K
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1, SB raises to $4.50, BB folds, Hero raises to $10, SB raises to $51.75 and is all-in, Hero calls $41.75

Flop: ($104) 4 9 A (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: ($104) 9 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($104) Q (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $104 pot ($3 rake)
      Final Board: 4 9 A 9 Q
      Hero showed A K and lost (-$51.75 net)
      SB showed Q A and won $101 ($49.25 net)

firstly, 11% 3bet guy did this play

Prima, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

MP: $60.75 (121.5 bb)
      Hero (CO): $109.91 (219.8 bb)
      BTN: $28.39 (56.8 bb)
      SB: $50 (100 bb)
      BB: $104.58 (209.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8 7
      MP folds, Hero raises to $1.50, BTN folds, SB raises to $5.25, BB folds, Hero calls $3.75

Flop: ($11) 5 Q 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $5.50, Hero calls $5.50

Turn: ($22) A (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $12, SB calls $12

River: ($46) K (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Results:
      $46 pot ($2.30 rake)
      Final Board: 5 Q 9 A K
      Hero mucked 8 7 and lost (-$22.75 net)
      SB showed T A and won $43.70 ($20.95 net)

secondly, same guy did this play

Prima, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

BTN: $50.26 (100.5 bb)
      SB: $49.50 (99 bb)
      Hero (BB): $53.81 (107.6 bb)
      UTG: $58.89 (117.8 bb)
      MP: $110.64 (221.3 bb)
      CO: $55.50 (111 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T K
      UTG folds, MP raises to $1.50, CO folds, BTN calls $1.50, SB folds, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($4.75) A A J (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $3.50, BTN folds, Hero raises to $10, MP calls $6.50

Turn: ($24.75) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $13, MP raises to $99.14 and is all-in, Hero calls $29.31 and is all-in

River: ($109.37) 6 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $109.37 pot ($3 rake)
      Final Board: A A J 7 6
      Hero showed T K and lost (-$53.81 net)
      MP showed A J and won $106.37 ($52.56 net)

and finally, I did worst play.

Is there way to avoid such a behavior?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

goals can be easily set from your mission.

For example, if you had in your mission that you would have to constantly learn and improve your game, you could set some weekly goals such as:

-review 5 hands daily first things in the morning
      -twice a week (mon and thu) have a 30min database analysis session
      -etc.

The goals should be:
      -non-result oriented
      -measurable
      -specific
      -daily/weekly (or both, whichever you prefer, can do monthly too).

Maybe you can even post your weekly goals in this blog to share them with others :) .

By the way, have you applied anything from the productivity guide yet?

-Primož
    • Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      ok, I'll try to make goals this week

1 at least 5 hand post per day
      2 join this week's coaching and make solid open range
      3 Wed and Sun I'll use leak baster

I bought calendar and I'll mark it to make habit.

I have a question about exercise.

I often woke up at 0,00 AM so I can't do jog before breakfast.
      Before breakfast is important?or only jog will be fine?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there again,

that sounds great! Keep us posted how it goes :) .

The idea of jogging before "breakfast" is that you wake yourself up. Going for a walk works just as well.

Is it possible for you to go for a jog/walk after you wake up? The first meal after you wake up and break your fast would be a "breakfast" i suppose :) .

-Primož