it's a long way to the top, if you...

• duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      Hi everyone,

my name is Peter, and I’m from Hungary. As I dont really know people from the forum, and people dont know me either, I think I should start with an introduction.

About me

I’m currently 33 years old, and after finishing university I’ve been working in corporate banks for 8 years. Throughout these (long-long) years I slowly realized, that I hate corporate life from the bottom of my heart :P , so started to look for an alternative, which suits me better than my current job/lifestyle.

I’ve always been a huge strategy game enthusiast, that’s what I really like to do, so naturally came the idea to combine this with earning money, and I quickly found poker. Although I really enjoy all the activities related to the game, I have never considered this as a hobby, my goal has always been to play for a living someday (asap :) ). I had no previous experience in poker, barely knew the rules, so I googled PS, started out really purposive, and tried to apply a “professional approach” (lol now) from the beginning. For example I use the same excel file for booking my results which I started to use on my first day of playing back in 2009 (but now it has a size of 1,5MB… :) ).

About poker and goals

I’ve been playing fix limit for about 1,5 years, went up to 2/4 SH, then I switched to NL. I was playing on NL50, when a year ago I did quit my job, and started my life as a “pro”. I was a marginal winner back then (mostly rakeback pro), so I’ve spent the last 12 month to improve my game as much as I can. In the fall of 2012 I managed to achieve some fundamental improvements (fixing red line issues to some extent), and I’ve moved up to NL100 on Unibet a couple of weeks ago.

My short term goal is to be a solid winning player at NL200 by the end of the year. My long term goal is to accumulate enough capital to be free from anything for the rest of my life (even from playing poker if I’m not in the mood… :D )

I’m still pretty weak in many aspects in the game, like
      - playing versus 3bets, especially calling 3bets and playing postflop
      - not using enough creative, alternative, hard-to-read lines instead of “standard” ones
      - playing against ultra-LAGs in general (both pre and postflop)
      - playing deep in general
      and lots of others which don’t come into my mind right now…

Last but not least, I’d like to thank you for this great promo, really excited to participate. I’m singing off now, and take a look around in the bootcamp forum… :)
  • 20 replies
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      Some graphs, stats:

Start at NL100 (last two weeks)

Last 3 months (140k hands, mostly 50, few 100)

Stats of last 3 months

As you can also see above, I'm still losing a lot in nonSD, so that's something I need to work on. What I've already tried to change in order to fix this:

1.) more steals, especially BTN
      I started to minraise, and widened my BTN steal range up to ~70%.

2.) More 3bets
      It was a huge leak of mine, my 3bet stat was around ~4-5%, now it's more close 8%, but could be even higher I guess.

3.) Too high flop cbet, too low turn barrel
      Now both are somewhere between 55-60%. What I was thinking about, that whether my turn barrel is still too low, as I only cbet around half the time on the flop, so I arrive with a generally stronger range on the turn, thus my turn barrel should be higher. But also not sure about this one.

Other areas I'm looking to improve:

- constructing reasonable 3bet and coldcalling ranges preflop in certain spots (blind defence, BTN, CO)

- coldcall more in general, especially from BTN, cause I feel I'm in "3bet-or-fold" mode a lot, trying to avoid difficulties postflop I guess. But I still feel I'm giving up a lot folding some playable hands in position, or bluffing them away with 3bets

- learning more about balancing, GTO play, etc. My previous limits (50 and below) were not really the place to apply such things...

That's all for now, but I will post randomly, if something else comes to my mind... :)
    • roachru
      roachru
      Bronze
      My humble opinion about your stats. No offence :f_biggrin:

• I noticed:

Raise Cber Flop 3bet pots - 4,95%

Turn Raise Cbet - 8%

3bet from MP - 3,43%

All of this stats are very tight, aren't they?

Do you raise this spots only for value? Or you slowplay value and that only for bluff?

If you do it for value, like will think plenty of players, they can find easy folds vs you.

If I raise from EP and get 3bet from MP 3,43% - that's easy fold for my trash hands. I'll never use loose coldcall vs you and never 4bet in Bluff. You won't like my 4bet range vs you on the table EP vs MP :f_biggrin: Same for Raise cbet in 3bet pots and Turn raises.

Do you use a minraises in 3bet pots on flops?

River Agg% - 23%

In my opinion, a bit strangely that with tight raises on flop and turn you still have very low Agg in river - only 1 time per 4 spots.

• 3.) Too high flop cbet, too low turn barrel
        Cbet Flop% 58,8%

Do you mean yours 58,8% cbet?

If it really so, then I suppose, in fact, that's not so high. I see a lot of "+" regulars on NL50, whom plays with cbet flop 65-80%. And a lot of my students, and I play in the same way with Cbet Flop 70-75%.

On NL50 still a lot players with leaks if Fold on Cbet Flop, especially OOP (50%+) and I suppose we still could use it in our game on suitable boards.

• Fold flop vs Cbets in 3Bet pots 64%

and vs 3bet Folds 75%

I'm pretty sure, that's a big leak.

When I see players with this stat, I know, that I could 3bet them on any2 cards, cause you give up really often on preflop and I always can bet Cbet on flop vs you.

If I use 1/2 Pot bet on Flop, I need only 33% FoldEquity for +EV on distance, and I see that average I have 64% vs you :f_biggrin:

This stats - that's easy target for aggresive regulars, isn't it?

How will you play, if you notice the same stats for 3bet pots by one of your opponents?
    • roachru
      roachru
      Bronze
      Ah, I've forgotten )

Raise 1st BU: 71.1%

Have you cheked any filters about hands, that you raise1st from BU?

All of them are "green" ? I mean, do you still win money on all hands with this wide range?

And how do you plan a defence of your raises with this wide range?

You should 4bets and call a lot vs resteal and play in 3bet pots.

I've thought, maybe this wide range, that you can't defence, it's a reason, why your Fold on Cbet in 3bet Pots, and Fold vs 3bet are so high
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      Hi there, thanks a lot for taking the time to analyze my stats! :)

One addition, that I played most of these hands on anonymus tables on Unibet, where you only have the stats you gather at the current tables, so biggest samples are 2-300 hands at most. This way it's harder to spot leaks in the game of other regs, and vica versa.

- high foldto3bet, high foldtocbet in 3bet pots, low flop raise in 3bet pots

I agree that it's one of my main leaks in general, that I play too weak vs 3bets. I fold too much, so I only flat with a tighter range, but still fold a lot to cbets, and raise very rarely.

- low 3bet from MP

I'm currently working on that, trying to spot regs who open looser from EP, and playing back at them (usually they give a lot of respect MP vs EP).

- low turn raises

I agree, also experimenting with this lately, like waiting for the turn to raise draws against double-barrel guys.

- high flop cbet

I think my post was confusing, I had higher flop cbets before ~75-80%, which I cut back to this current ~55-60%, so it's basically a more value-heavy range now.

- high BTN steal

I haven't done filtering yet, but my winrate improved a lot since I started to steal double as much as before (35 --> 70%). But I agree, that I should have some plan to defend vs better regs who would play back at me a lot, and I'm quite struggling at this.
      Only play 6 tables at a time, so I do my best to follow the dynamics on the tables, and find good 3bet/4bet tendencies. But as I minraise BTN with a wide range, so resteal 3bets are also smaller, I think I should call way more for the better price I got than I currently do.
      But I do not play comfortable in 3bet pots, not even in position if I'm the preflop caller...
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      I will follow you!!! :)
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Hello Peter!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions you can just post them
      here and let me know in my Q&A thread if I take too long to reply. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so I don't miss anything. :)

Welcome to the boot camp!

Cheers!
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Peter,

Still about?

How was the weekend grinding, any shrot term goals for the month?
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey Peter,

Still about?

How was the weekend grinding, any shrot term goals for the month?

Hi Patrick,

thanks for asking, yeah, still on board, just fighting the flu, which doesnt make me super active right now... :)

As for this month, main goal is to settle myself on NL100 (playing a standard 50-60k volume), carving out some decent winrate would be the icing on the cake really... :f_p:

Theory-wise I'd like to be more conscious with my ranges in all spots, cause I still feel I make random, emotion-based decisions sometimes, and this makes me exploitable for better players I guess. Lately I increased my stealing a lot, so strategy against blinds/BTN resteals would be especially important.

I've just seen the topic for today's seminar btw... :f_love:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Peter, how are you doing?

Let's hope you've got over that flu by now and up for having discussions and posting those questions! :)

Seriously though, I do hope you are feeling better by now.

Oh, nearly forgot, seminar tomorrow... :heart:

Regards,

Mal.
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      Thanks Mal, I'm back on track.

I dont know if this will be a topic in future seminars or not, but I started to work on defending my BTN steal range (better late than never :) ). I minraise 2bb, and steal very wide, ~65-70%.
      As I play on anonim tables, I cant really spot long-term tendencies of restealers, so I have to work out a strategy, which is not too exploitable I guess.

Btw, if you have any thoughts, experiences of playing on Microgaming anonim tables (would you use some adaptation, playing differently in any regard than on normal tables), I'd be grateful if you could share... :)

Back to steals/resteals. An average 3bet from SB/BB is 7-8bb, which means he needs me to fold ~70-75% to show immediate profit. I go with the lower side, and calculate with 70%, cause I dont think my opponents would be playing optimally against BTN steals on average.

So I have to defend ~20% on the BTN with either 4betting or calling. As I mentioned earlier, on anon tables I cant really observe tendencies of other regs (high foldto4bet, playing weak in 3bet pots oop, etc.), so I think I have to go with a universal strategy, based on my own playing style and postflop skills. Or is it wrong not having premiums (JJ+/AQ+) in my 3bet calling range, and should mix it to some extent?

What do you think about the following ranges?

4betting 11% (value + bluffs)

calling 3bet 9%

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

I generally prefer having AQ in my calling range pre flop, are you 4b/calling or 4b/bluffing AQo/s?
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      BTN vs blinds I'm currently 4bet/calling AQ vs average reg. It's not huge +EV, but I thought it's OK vs late positions if I steal a lot, and 4bet frequently, so generally have a LAG image...

But calling IP with a strong hand, and try to make money postflop could have its own merit I guess, instead of making a marginal stackoff preflop... So I'm not sure right now which way should I go. :)
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I almost always 4b/c from BTN with AQ, but that's because I 4bet something like 10-12% from BTN. To have good balance I'll need a value range of something like 99+/AQ+ (5%) so I have about 45-50% of my 4bets as value 4bets so I don't get overly exploited by light 5bet jams.
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      Thanks, I was considering adding TT to my value4bet range in this spot, but I wasnt sure how much to extend this on NL100. I mean I wasnt sure if opponents would adapt with enough light 5bets to my wider 4bet range.
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      Preflop monster, a.k.a. don't fold 'em if they're suited... :)

He was repping very narrow (77 which I block, and KJ mostly), plus tons of straightdraws...

Prima, $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

BB: $224.83 (224.8 bb)
      MP: $106.05 (106.1 bb)
      CO: $104.50 (104.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $102 (102 bb)
      SB: $140.49 (140.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 7 2
      2 folds, Hero raises to $2, SB folds, BB calls $1

Flop: ($4.50) 7 K J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $3, BB raises to $9, Hero calls $6

Turn: ($22.50) 8 (2 players)
      BB bets $14, Hero calls $14

River: ($50.50) 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Results:
      $50.50 pot ($2.52 rake)
      Final Board: 7 K J 8 8
      BB showed A T and lost (-$25 net)
      Hero showed 7 2 and won $47.98 ($22.98 net)
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      Posted this one in the HE forum, but as it is related to oblioo's seminar (which was awesome btw... :f_cool: ), I thought I'd post it here as well.

Prima, $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players

SB: $93 (93 bb)
      BB: $142.37 (142.4 bb)
      CO: $100.96 (101 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $225.80 (225.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A J
      CO raises to $3, Hero calls $3, SB folds, BB calls $2

Flop: ($9.50) 8 7 K (3 players)
      BB checks, CO bets $6, Hero raises to $16, 2 folds

Anon table.

Both CO and BB seemed like TAGs so far.

After seeing oblioo's seminar of flop raising ranges, my question is should I apply the same to multiway pots? I mean is it OK to have a 2:1 bluff:value ratio in my range if I raise flop 3way?

If yes, what do you think about the following ranges:

value: 88/77/87s (9 combos)

bluff (backdoors with and A): AsJs QsJs AsTs QsTs JsTs As9s Qs9s Js9s 7s6s AdQ AdJ AdT (18 combos)
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      I think it was talked about this topic a lot here, but I wanted to ask you about not checking cashier/winnings during session.

I feel it would liberate my mind not caring about anything else than playing right, and I tried to implement this a couple of month ago, but slowly went back to the old way. I feel like a junkie going back to his old using habits... :)

I even have my own rationalization to justify my using to myself. I felt that things went well with not checking results as long as session is good. But as soon as I feel I start losing, my mind is cracking a bit imaging how bad situation is, and I comfort myself that if I check the actual result, and I know how big my loss actually is, than I will regain my mental control more. And the sad thing, that I feel it's working somehow, it gets better a bit, if I know it's exactly 3 buyin, or whatever. But after that the vicious circle starts, and I cant stop checking frequently until the end of the session.

Now I've made a resolution again, but if anyone could help with some good reasoning I could use in this "war against myself", it'd be great... :)
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by pcfmcc02
      I think it was talked about this topic a lot here, but I wanted to ask you about not checking cashier/winnings during session.

I feel it would liberate my mind not caring about anything else than playing right, and I tried to implement this a couple of month ago, but slowly went back to the old way. I feel like a junkie going back to his old using habits... :)

I even have my own rationalization to justify my using to myself. I felt that things went well with not checking results as long as session is good. But as soon as I feel I start losing, my mind is cracking a bit imaging how bad situation is, and I comfort myself that if I check the actual result, and I know how big my loss actually is, than I will regain my mental control more. And the sad thing, that I feel it's working somehow, it gets better a bit, if I know it's exactly 3 buyin, or whatever. But after that the vicious circle starts, and I cant stop checking frequently until the end of the session.

Now I've made a resolution again, but if anyone could help with some good reasoning I could use in this "war against myself", it'd be great... :)
      Hey!

When it comes to the issue with checking results during the session it basically the tip of the iceberg when it comes to results orientation. This has to be addressed in a few different ways. Having a solid warm-up routine, setting session goals, set time limits with alarms every 15 minutes and try to play for that time without checking. Write down the earliest signs that you can tell that the feeling is coming. When the feeling comes up try to deep breath, relax and just accept that you need to calm down.. :)

Are you doing any of this already?

Cheers!
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      Hi Erik, thanks for your quick response!

Originally posted by ErikStenqvist
      Are you doing any of this already?
      No, but I am starting today. :)
      I've read J.T. Mental Game of Poker before, but didnt apply those concepts yet. It seems that I should...

Just for the record:
      - session goal: more balanced preflop ranges (based on the bootcamp seminars)
      - control myself in 15 min time frames not to check cashier, calm down if necessary
      - notice what feelings trigger the need for checking

I've seen you have a vid on warm-up routine, will check that out as well.