Midstakes soldier from Hungary

• Katz0r
      Katz0r
      Platinum
      Hi!

:spade: I'm a 20 years old guy from Hungary, I'm studying to software engineer at the university. Sometimes it's hard to combine poker and study but can handle it, and need a thing what I can do, when abandon playing poker.

:spade: I play poker professionally approx. 3 years ago. In 1.5 year I went up from NL10 to NL400, then I stucked on that level, I played a lot on that limit with not so good winrate (between 0.5 and 1 BB/100), and always withdrawing my roll. Now I do it different, learn a lot, hand analyse a lot, and my winrate has fastly improved, and try to move higher and higher :) I'm playing currently NL400-NL1000 SH on Ongame and bwin.party. My short term goal is to be an NL1000 stable winning regular, Hope I can do it in this year. My long term goal is of course to be the best :f_cool:

:spade: I'm really far from playing optimal, but I'm optimistic. I will be better hand to hand :f_biggrin: I struggle with playing against overaggressive villains who put me impossible spots and hard decisions. I have problems with playing dynamics too.
      I don't exactly know what my leaks is, I mean I have a lot of special question about "how to play ... when ..." but don't know what are my biggest mistakes (maybe too much wp? or too much herocall?)
      I just try to do the best play in the pots against the villains.

:spade: I want to improve my game with this bootcamp, I think it's a great opportunity. I want to hear other peoples and the coaches thoughts, and discuss a lot of things and hands etc.

Excuse my english, it's very difficult to write. I plan to learn it better, I hope you understand me guys. :f_frown:

GL at the tables!
  • 21 replies
    • dushili
      dushili
      Black
      Hi, nice to meet you. We played at 1/2, u are pretty decent reg :f_cool:
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Hey dushili !

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions I will have a thread up soon where you can easily let me know if you updated your thread with anything I might be able to help out with. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so i don't miss anything. :)

When it comes to the mental side of poker, tilt, variance, and bat beats etc. How do you feel you are doing in those areas?

Gl! :)
    • Katz0r
      Katz0r
      Platinum
      Originally posted by dushili
      Hi, nice to meet you. We played at 1/2, u are pretty decent reg :f_cool:
      Thank you, I follow ur topic, hope to see u on 2/4 soon! ;)

Originally posted by ErikStenqvist
      Hey dushili !

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions I will have a thread up soon where you can easily let me know if you updated your thread with anything I might be able to help out with. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so i don't miss anything.

When it comes to the mental side of poker, tilt, variance, and bat beats etc. How do you feel you are doing in those areas?

Gl!
      It's Katzor but never mind :f_biggrin:

The badbeats I can handle, because I concentrating on my side of the hand. If I did all well in the situation -> I'm satisfied and just laugh if get lucked :f_grin:

I have problems when all situation is hard and lost and frustrating me. Then I'm softtilt, more call than I have to (even preflop and postflop), maybe do some kind of spewy moves. Then I can't play my 'A' game, just 'B' or maybe worse :s_mad:
      Other problem is, that I can't concenctrate all the time. Sometimes read the forum, or fb, or chat on skype, etc. Then just autopilot, don't remember the hands at all, just do it lol

I want to improve this things because I think it's one of my big mistakes.
    • Katz0r
      Katz0r
      Platinum
      I post my overall popup from hm1, can you check it to find some big leaks? :)
      Or please tell me what stats or reports should I post.

This is my this year graph, I'm probably just in a good run, I don't think I'm that good yet as this graph looks like :)
      I'm not satisfied with my game, but maybe I never be, it always can be better.

• Katz0r
      Katz0r
      Platinum
      a few interesting spot today, I'm not sure what to do

$2/$4 No Limit Holdem
      5 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($400) 100bb
      CO ($414) 104bb
      Hero (BTN) ($400) 100bb
      SB ($416) 104bb
      BB ($489.40) 122bb

Pre-Flop: ($6, 5 players) Hero is BTN K: Q:
      1 fold, CO raises to $10, Hero calls $10, 1 fold, BB calls $6

Flop: :7d: J: K: ($32, 3 players)
      BB checks, CO bets $24, Hero calls $24, BB folds

Turn: :5s: ($80, 2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $48, CO calls $48

River: T: ($176, 2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $128, CO calls $128

The villain is 23/19/3.2 (vpip/pfr/af) 25k sample
      CO rfi 27
      cbets are 74-47-56, Turn ch/r 13%
      wtsd 26

I did bet small on the turn to look like a draw and induce some kind of spewy thin value ch/raises. On the river I was confused to valuebet or not. His range is look like JT-JQ-AJ-K8-K9-KT, it's maybe too thin to bet there.

$5/$10 No Limit Holdem
      5 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($1,006) 101bb
      Hero (CO) ($1,000) 100bb
      BTN ($1,000) 100bb
      SB ($296) 30bb
      BB ($1,100) 110bb

Pre-Flop: ($15, 5 players) Hero is CO :6c: :9c:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $20, 2 folds, BB calls $10

Flop: J: Q: J: ($45, 2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $30, BB raises to $90, Hero raises to $195, BB goes all-in $1,080, Hero folds

Final Pot: $435

BB wins $2,202 (net +$1,102)

Hero lost $215

a little bit loose open from the CO
      the villain is a decent regular:
      27/22/3.0 7,5k sample
      3bet blind vs CO: 8% (not so much maybe flats some stronger hands)
      flop fold vs cb 57
      flop ch/r 8%
      Dynamic was that I folded to his 4bet a few minutes ago.

his value range is really thin, I can't call here, because here's gonna be reverse implied against bigger fds. Or I can hit a flush card what he will improved to full. So I did this 2x raise size to fold the big percentage of his range. If he calls probably checkback ?(

$3/$6 No Limit Holdem
      6 Players

Stacks:
      Hero (UTG) ($666) 111bb
      UTG+1 ($1,549.15) 258bb
      CO ($1,861.25) 310bb
      BTN ($849.20) 142bb
      SB ($683.10) 114bb
      BB ($550.35) 92bb

Pre-Flop: ($9, 6 players) Hero is UTG Q: A:
      Hero raises to $18, 1 fold, CO calls $18, 1 fold, SB raises to $78, 1 fold, Hero calls $60, CO calls $60

Flop: :6h: A: :8d: ($240, 3 players)
      SB bets $120, Hero calls $120, CO folds

Turn: J: ($480, 2 players)
      SB bets $485.10, Hero folds

Final Pot: $480

SB wins $1,447.20 (net +$764.10)

CO lost $78
      Hero lost $198

villain is nitty
      22/18/2.7 3bet: 7 20k sample
      his squeeze is really low, from sb is 4% but I did call because of the fish
      cbets in 3bet pots 80 on the flop, 61 on the turn
      wtsd 27, wwsf 46

flop call std I think, but I'm not sure the fold on the turn.
      He reps a really strong hand to cbet on the flop and shove on this turn, but could be some kind of pair+draws aswell. (not so much because of his preflop range)

What do you think? ?(
    • dushili
      dushili
      Black
      1) yeah, bad card for vb, i think hi'll fold 2nd pairs on this scare river.

2)If his ch/r was 15% or so 3 bet would be fine, but his ch/r is too tight . I would probably call flop, of course we have got reverse implides, but we can control the pot and we have the last word IP.

3)I would play it same way if fish is bed enought. AQo - fold
    • wilmots83
      wilmots83
      Coach
      Coach
      3. What kind of hand make potbet on turn in this spot? He had only 4% sqz, but now he sqzed with 8 :heart: 9 :heart: maybe AJ or what?

You cant call, I just thinking.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global

It's Katzor but never mind :f_biggrin:

The badbeats I can handle, because I concentrating on my side of the hand. If I did all well in the situation -> I'm satisfied and just laugh if get lucked :f_grin:

I have problems when all situation is hard and lost and frustrating me. Then I'm softtilt, more call than I have to (even preflop and postflop), maybe do some kind of spewy moves. Then I can't play my 'A' game, just 'B' or maybe worse :s_mad:
      Other problem is, that I can't concenctrate all the time. Sometimes read the forum, or fb, or chat on skype, etc. Then just autopilot, don't remember the hands at all, just do it lol

I want to improve this things because I think it's one of my big mistakes.
      Ahh my bad there! So many threads in the forums. Must have copy pasted wrong. Sorry about that :)

When you sit down to play a session do you do any warm-up routines? Are you sitting down with the intention to look for and work on certain spots or are you just grinding?
    • waxiesdargle
      waxiesdargle
      Basic
      Originally posted by Katz0r
      a few interesting spot today, I'm not sure what to do

$2/$4 No Limit Holdem
      5 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($400) 100bb
      CO ($414) 104bb
      Hero (BTN) ($400) 100bb
      SB ($416) 104bb
      BB ($489.40) 122bb

Pre-Flop: ($6, 5 players) Hero is BTN K: Q:
      1 fold, CO raises to $10, Hero calls $10, 1 fold, BB calls $6

Flop: :7d: J: K: ($32, 3 players)
      BB checks, CO bets $24, Hero calls $24, BB folds

Turn: :5s: ($80, 2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $48, CO calls $48

River: T: ($176, 2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $128, CO calls $128

The villain is 23/19/3.2 (vpip/pfr/af) 25k sample
      CO rfi 27
      cbets are 74-47-56, Turn ch/r 13%
      wtsd 26

I did bet small on the turn to look like a draw and induce some kind of spewy thin value ch/raises. On the river I was confused to valuebet or not. His range is look like JT-JQ-AJ-K8-K9-KT, it's maybe too thin to bet there.

(
      Hi

Hand is quite interesting as we will be percieved to raise flop with KJ/77 a fair amount so our value range on the river will look quite small and he might not always expect us to always vb KQ so i can see him picking out a handfull of bluff hands and calling AJ/JQ/ and K8/k9 that didnt barrel turn which wont always happen.

But in reality overall i think in this spot you will still get a decent amount of folds from most ,id factor in gameflow, dynamic and my image and decide between checking and betting.

H2 - flattting more than raising, he will continue betting both with his bluffs and Qx sometimes on club turns along with giving up on bricks some % of the time

H3 - flatting pre is ok with the fish in the pot, folding otherwise depending on villain, as played wp ul
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there Katz0r,

about browsing the internet and skyping during the session:

1. You can use the addon called stayfocusd to prevent yourself from going on the internet during the session. You can use the nuclear option to block all the websites for an X amount of time for example (but you can set a list of allowed sites as well in case you need some) ;) .

2. Do you have skype turned off during the session? If you don't, a step in the right direction would be to commit to turning off the skype while you're grinding - then you can't get distracted by it!

3. Why do you tend to start opening the forums etc.? Are you bored? Could you do something about this by increasing/decreasing the amount of tables you're playing?

4. When do you tend to start browsing the internet during the sessions? Is it soon after you start them or after an hour or two?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,

-Primož
    • Katz0r
      Katz0r
      Platinum
      Thanks for the replies :)

@dushili: I think it's close to vbet or not (on this bad river too), I agree with waxies, it depends from image, dynamics etc. villain shows KT

@wilmots83: Villain will push his entire range there because no good stacksizes to betting 3 street: AK (probably with Kh), all AJ, QQ-KK(with suit), JJ and sometimes bluffs like KhQ
      if he semibluffs with a few hands my equity is still not enough good

@Erik: No, I don't have any routines, except turn on the poker client :D So just grinding. What do you advise to tune in to the game?

@Schnitzelfisch: Thanks, I will try this addon :) I usually don't turn off skype, because chatting with other players, like posting interesting hands during the session. I browsing the internet in start of my session, because I don't have enough tables.
      But not just that, I'm little bored while the session too. Fully variable how much action happen, if always fold-fold-fold-cbet-fold-fold and I get "freetime" I always use it to not get bored. Then I lost the focus --> open forums, skype, youtube and all the stuff :tongue:

I'm pretty picky with selecting tables, there's time when I play just 2-3 tables. My 'out of comfort' is 9 table.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

do you think that chatting about hands during the session and switching focus from your game to skype is good for you :D ? You could try turning the skype off, marking the hands and discussing them later on :) ? Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose!

If you're too bored without skype and browsers, find a leak that you want to fix or a concept that you want to apply to your game, and focus on that during the session :) .

Gl with the browsers! If you have any problems, please do let me know as I'd be happy to help you out ;) .

-Primož
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      @Erik: No, I don't have any routines, except turn on the poker client :D So just grinding. What do you advise to tune in to the game?
      I have a personal warm-up routine that works for me.
      • Mindfulness: To let go of stuff outside of the session, for now. To have a focused relaxed mind for the session.
      • Visualization: To prime myself for the session, and go through the areas of my game I want to work on in session.
      • Tools: Set alarm that goes off every 15-45 minutes just to check in on how I'm doing in the session dependign on how i feel after doing the Warm-Up

I never sit down and play without having one pokerstrategy concept and on mindset that i will actively look for and try to improve on.

Let me know if any of this seems like something you would like to try. Also think about and play with the idea what you might add that could work for you..

Cheers!
    • Katz0r
      Katz0r
      Platinum
      I have problems with time managements, could you (Schnitzel and Erik) give me advices for that?

I do poker and university together, and it took from me a lot of time. But I think not this is the main problem. I have still a lot of usable time when there's no school, but I can't systemize it. I tried to make a daily routine for a week, and didn't worked.
      If something bothered me or lost my motivation, or I must something else to do then it all fell apart.

I hope you understand, my english is still not good :D

edit:

One more thing I would ask your opinion: How can I reconcile my goals (in poker) and socialization? Poker is not a social job, and I have to play a lot, learn a lot etc.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

sure, we'll figure something out to help you with your time management :) .

Time management

I generally don't like the traditional time management all that much. Schedules are fine for the things that you really need to do on a certain day at a certain time, such as meetings, going out for lunch with a friend, coachings, sport practices, etc. But to schedule our whole days can be pretty damn boring, frustrating and inefficient.

What I prefer is energy management. So, when you would have a lot of energy, you would work on your most important projects (studying, playing poker for example), and when you would have less energy, you would either go and do a recovering activity to provide you with more energy, or do one of the less important activities, such as perhaps answering some e-mails and talking on skype, cleaning, etc.

It would be a shame to waste your periods of high energy on skype and e-mails and then force yourself to play poker when you're tired ;) .

So what I usually recommend is to have:

1. A clear vision and mission, which define what you should be doing for the majority of your time.

2. Weekly/daily goals which are in line with your vision and mission. I suggest having at least weekly and daily reviews. Each week, you can take 15-30min of your time to review your progress in different areas of your life for last week and to get the general idea of what you want to do during the next week. Here you can set some weekly (realistic, measurable) goals which you want to achieve during the next week. Completing them would be your top priority.

Then, you can also add daily reviews - review how your day went in the evening and make a list of things/goals that you want to work on the next day. The next morning, you can read that list (have it in front of you at all times preferably) and then just start working on the most important things and go through the list in whichever order you want throughout the day (I think it's best to start with the hardest/most important things though).

Here it's important that you don't feel bad if you didn't manage to do everything from the list in a day/week. You can simply move the items to the next day/week's list, and add fewer new items.

If you want to improve your organization skills even more, I strongly suggest you to read and apply the book Getting things done, which will really enable you to organize everything that you want/need to do and go through it efficiently.

Social life/poker balance

As for your social life/poker balance, what you can do is try to think about opportunities for socializing. You need to eat lunch and dinner anyway, right? Why not do it with a friend? Or go exercising together with a friend or a family member instead of doing it alone? You can try to think of creative ways to socialize during the things that you're already doing :) . Are you going shopping? Why not call a friend on the way there? Etc.

What do you think?

-Primož
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Great post primzi!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Katz0r,

I'm just reminding people very gently that it helps to keep threads current by posting updates. I understand time can be an issue of course, especially with both university and poker studying (and of course other life committments), but would appreciate if you can manage it. :)

Do you have any thoughts you could post regarding Primoz ideas for example?

Best regards,

Mal.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

did you maybe think about any of those things? Apply any of them? Had any problems doing it? Let me know so that I can help you improve even more :) !

-Primož