I want to be a 6max Soldier

• MindGrind
      MindGrind
      Black
      Hey guys,

I first started playing poker in 2006. I played fixed limit up to $1/$2 but I guess I was never really good at it and eventually I got bored so I switched to no limit holdem.

That was around the beginning of 2007 in the good old days of online poker where blindfolded monkeys could make lots of money. I was one of these monkeys and managed to move up from 25nl to 1knl in about 6 month. Obviously a sick heater even with the bad opponents back in the day.

After some moving up and down, I was able to establish myself at 400nl to 1knl and took some shots at 2knl (which did not go very well :) ).
      From 2008 to 2010 I grinded more than 1 million hands but it felt like poker got tougher from day to day. That was because the opponents became better but also because I became really lazy and I wasnt doing anything to improve my game. Obviously not very smart on my part :/

So in the end of 2010 after yet another failed shot at 2knl I lost all my motivation and started focusing on other areas of life.

Here is a graph from that time if you are interested

In december 2012 my motivation was finally back. Probably because the money in my bank account became less and less.
      I started grinding at 100nl and to be honest I was assuming that I would beat it easily. But it looks like I was very wrong about that. There are a lot of regs who are giving me a lot of problems. I guess poker has evolved quite a bit in the past couple of years.

Here is a graph since I started playing online poker again

Not very satisfying, but I dont want to be a whining bitch. Instead I want to be a 6max soldier! :)
      I am very motivated and willing to put in as much effort as it takes to become a winningplayer again.

My goal is to become a zoom 500 reg someday. I know I am very far from it right now and I will have to work a lot to reach that goal. But thats ok for me.

Here are some stats from my last 100k hands. Every comment, question, or whatever is well appreciated.

overall

preflop by position

flop by position

turn by position

river by position

Good Luck to all of us!
  • 13 replies
    • Pumper247
      Pumper247
      Bronze
      your graph is.. :f_eek:
      gl man
    • roachru
      roachru
      Bronze
      In december 2012 my motivation was finally back. Probably because the money in my bank account became less and less.
      I started grinding at 100nl and to be honest I was assuming that I would beat it easily. But it looks like I was very wrong about that. There are a lot of regs who are giving me a lot of problems. I guess poker has evolved quite a bit in the past couple of years.
      Your story and situation is very similar with mine :f_biggrin: But I didn't spent money from my bank and invested it in property, so I'm still feel myself good :f_biggrin:

Here are some stats from my last 100k hands. Every comment, question, or whatever is well appreciated.

Agg = 38% and low red line. How about your WWSF?

*Editing - oh, sorry, I've forgot, that Aqq% in HM2 is included Checks, and in PT4 not, that's why AFq% in PT4 > then Aqq% in HM2.

Now in my post I'm trying to sort out in nowadays trends with this red-line. I'm checking stats of profitable regulars and it looks, like we should aim to WWSF 50+ and AFq 52+ today.

Oh, I've just found your WWSF - 48,7. Well, that's much better then mine :f_biggrin:

In generally, your stat looks not bad, in my opinion =) But I'm a bit sleуpy at the moment)

Maybe a bit more Agg on turn and river to improve total AFq and lift up red-line?

Good luck to you too :f_p:
    • tadcka
      tadcka
      Black
      Loool, your graph looks really funny :f_biggrin: But it is because of mixed limits.

Gl with you goals!
    • MindGrind
      MindGrind
      Black
      Originally posted by Pumper247
      your graph is.. :f_eek:
      gl man
      thx :)

Originally posted by roachru
      Your story and situation is very similar with mine :f_biggrin: But I didn't spent money from my bank and invested it in property, so I'm still feel myself good :f_biggrin:
      Hehe you are a smart man. Maybe I should have done something similar. But on the other hand it was a lot of fun to spew some money in the real world, instead of spewing it at a poker table :)

Maybe a bit more Agg on turn and river to improve total AFq and lift up red-line?
      Yes you could be very right about this. I often feel that I play too passively in many spots. Thats definitely something I should take a closer look at.

Now in my post I'm trying to sort out in nowadays trends with this red-line. I'm checking stats of profitable regulars and it looks, like we should aim to WWSF 50+ and AFq 52+ today.
      Any chance you remember the wwsf out of the bb from those winning regs stats you were looking at? As you can see my wwsf is really low in the big blind. I guess it is somewhat natural since were are often getting a good price preflop and dont have to win too many pots. But my wwsf is possibly just too low in the bb.

About the redline. I think it has a lot to do with preflop play. Stealing, defending vs steals with a good plan for postflop, 3bet/4bet/5bet game.

This thread could be interesting for you, in case you havent read it yet.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/78/micro-stakes-full-ring/cotw-last-red-line-post-ever-791734/

thx for taking the time to comment and good luck to you mate :)

Originally posted by tadcka
      Loool, your graph looks really funny :f_biggrin: But it is because of mixed limits.

Gl with you goals!
      thx!

And yes it looks funny ;D
      I think it is a combination of running bad at higher stakes/variance in general, but also shows my decreasing edge over time I guess.

gl to you too tadcka!
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there MindGrind,

I love the super-detailed introduction and your story is quite fascinating as well :) .

I'm here to help you if you have any problems regarding productivity, mindset, learning, etc. :) . If you have any of those, please let me know!

Also, could you write a brief overview of what your usual day looks like? And comment on the things which you would like to change about it ;) .

I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon!

-Primož
    • MindGrind
      MindGrind
      Black
      Hey Schnitzelfish,

thx for the kind words!

Well a normal day for me right now would be waking up at some time between 12 - 14 o clock. Then maybe doing a little workout. Although I have gotten a little bit lazy with that, since I started focussing more on poker again. After that I check forums, look at hands people posted, review some hands I played the day before and stuff like that. When Im done with that it depends a bit on the day of the week.

Im trying to make monday and tuesday my study days, where I dont play poker but study a few hours. Well at least that is the idea.
      I feel like Im struggeling a bit with that because Im often not really sure what to do. I guess I should have a better plan for improving, what things I wanna work on and so on.
      Instead I often end up just looking at hands again, maybe doing some calculations or just watching vids. I also tend to randomly switch the things Im working on instead of getting really good in one spot and then moving on to the next. I guess there is a lot of room for improvement in that area. Maybe one of the coaches can take a look at my stats and tell me what part of my game I should work/focus on.

If it is not monday or tuesday Im playing a session in the afternoon for a few hours, then Im either going to play football or hanging out with friends possibly watch a football game or something like that.
      After that most of the time I play another session. Then go to sleep at like 3-4 o clock.

In general my days are not really structured. I dont have a schedule or something like that. I dont know, maybe that could help. On the other hand I kinda like it how it is now, but I guess I could be a lot more productive.
      Im definitly open for any suggestions/thoughts about that!

Going to watch barca - real now :)

have a nice weekend
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

I actually like the fact that your day has no schedule or structure - I personally prefer to live that way as well, as it's more flexible and makes me feel free :) .

So perhaps the only thing that you might want to change is, as you've mentioned, having a general plan :) .

Having a list of the things that you want to do and being able to pick out the ones that you feel like doing at the moment tends to work really good.

So, what you can do is:

1. find your biggest weaknesses/leaks that you want to work on (i'll notify the other coaches to take a look at this thread and give you some ideas)
      2. think about how you can work on them. list down the possible options.
      3. make a weekly review, for example on each sunday. within this review, you can analyze how well you've worked on your game during the previous week, if there were any problems, etc. And you can also make a list of things that you want to fix during the next week and the possible techniques you can use.
      4. then, you can also choose to do daily reviews/planning if you wish to. within the daily review, you can simply go over the things which you have done the previous/current day and make a plan (select a couple of things that you want to work on) for the next/this day. You don't need to complicate that too much or make a schedule, it will just give you some general daily/weekly goals to give your improvement some structure :) .

There is one important thing worth mentioning - if you fail to complete some of the daily/weekly goals, don't feel too bad about it! You can just forward them to the next day/week and add fewer new things to the list. Let me know if you have any problems with this ;) .

Do you think that using such a system might work for you?

-Primož
    • MindGrind
      MindGrind
      Black
      That actually sounds very good. Im gonna try that. I think I will do the weekly reviews on monday and then decide if I want to move on to the next topic or spend another week on the same topic.
      Thanks for giving me these tips. We will see how that works out :)

Also thanks for notfiying the coaches, looking forward to having my stats/leaks analyzed.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Hey Mindgrind!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions you can just post them
      here and let me know in my Q&A thread if i take too long to reply. :)

And welcome to the camp! :)

Cheers!

Any questions about the mental side of poker? Just fire away!
      Email: Info@ErikStenqvist.com
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

The first spoiler didn't work :D

Second picture, nice green line, however it can be MASSIVELY improved, if we can get that red line back up to breakeven, I really think that you should make this a priority.

Just a quick question, how often do you think that you do an "ambitious bluff"?

Your pre flop stats look good, however I think your cut off range is likely going to be too tight, could you equilab your co range and post here? It's the only thing that really stands out initially.

One thing regarding your 3bet is that you are likely 3betting TOO much, especially from the button and could be calling more dominated hands. For example, cut off vs Button, you should CALL KQ as we dominate his wide opening range and we keep SPR wider whilst in position whilst if we 3bet SPR goes smaller and whilst we now have initiative, we actually aren't playing vs a dominated range anymore and have some potential reverse implied odds.

Fold to 3bet looks good/fine.

39% fold to flop cbet may be a liiiiitle bit too low, but I like calling wide vs cbets I think around 45% would be optimal, probably means you are maybe pushing it jusst a liiiiiteeeeelllleee bit too much, but still good, #ilike

Looks decent anyway, I think post flop we are maybe jsut calling too many flops and folding turns so our red line is suffering.
    • MindGrind
      MindGrind
      Black
      Originally posted by ErikStenqvist
      Hey Mindgrind!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions you can just post them
      here and let me know in my Q&A thread if i take too long to reply. :)

And welcome to the camp! :)

Cheers!

Hey Erik,
      very nice to have you here! I already found some really good stuff in your thread. Will definitly keep reading that. Once I have questions I will let you know.

Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey,
      Hey Pleno,

first of all I wanna thank you for the seminar yesterday. I couldnt be there because I had some stuff to do but I just watched the recorded stream. I think it was really really interesting/helpful. Cant wait for the next seminar :)

The first spoiler didn't work :D
      yup I took that graph out (kinda got adviced to do so). I can shoot you an email though, if you like to look at big samplesize graphs.

Just a quick question, how often do you think that you do an "ambitious bluff"?
      hmm good question. My first instinct to that question was "yes I always spew around and then beat myself up for it if the bluff fails"
      But when I go through my database I couldnt find too many of these hands.
      I would say most of my bluffs are preflop 5bets, which I am probably doing a bit too much.
      I am also trying to turn some showdown value hands into a bluff on the river, in spots where I cant really have lots of bluffs. I guess Im just not good in finding the right spots.

Your pre flop stats look good, however I think your cut off range is likely going to be too tight, could you equilab your co range and post here? It's the only thing that really stands out initially.
      My cutoff open is one thing I was kinda trying to improve in the last couple of days.
      This month Im opening 31% over 10k a sample.
      But I have to say that Im currently playing in a game with lots of autoprofit spots in the blinds and mostly passive players on the button, so I guess I could open even wider.

Here is a picture of what HEM tells me Im currently opening from cutoff and on the right side what I would assume a solid (but loose) cutoff open range is.

What do you think about these ranges?

One thing regarding your 3bet is that you are likely 3betting TOO much, especially from the button...
      Hehe very interesting to hear that you think I 3bet too much. Especially from the button Im desperately trying to get that number (alot) higher.
      I always hear people saying that you should be 3betting more than 10% on the button. Siete even made a video about that, as you may know.
      But when I look at my 3bet success rate from BU (40%), Im wondering why that should be so profitable. Looks like people are rarely folding.
      I definitly agree with you on 3betting a polarized range on the button. Since most guys are not calling 3bets oop very often I wouldnt 3bet hands like KQ or similar. I would 3bet the best hands I feel I cant flat profitably.
      I would only 3bet these hands if either Im expecting the raiser to call my 3bet with a wide range oop, or the openraiser is ridiculously tight and I dont feel I can flat profitably.

What do you think abou this 3betting range OTB vs CO? Is that maybe too polarized? What do you think about flatting all the suited aces? Or would you prefer to 3bet maybe A2s-A5s?

It is obviously super exploitable, so once the guys starts 4betting more I would 3bet this range

3bet/5bet would be all my value hands, so AQ+ TT+. If the villain is really going crazy with 4bets I would also consider 3bet/5bet with 22-44.

39% fold to flop cbet may be a liiiiitle bit too low, but I like calling wide vs cbets I think around 45% would be optimal, probably means you are maybe pushing it jusst a liiiiiteeeeelllleee bit too much, but still good, #ilike
      yeah that has always been one of my leaks. I always think guy is betting wide/I have backdoors/can rep lots of hands on later streets = cant fold flop. But nowadays people are just more likely to barrel their air, so I have to either raise somewhere in the hand or fold. It is obviously not a good result for me, if I float flop + turn just to fold the river vs the villains 3barrel bluff :D

Thank you very much for reviewing my stats!
      Looking foreward to work hard in the next couple of weeks in order to improve my redline MASSIVELY :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi MindGrind, Let's hope we find you well?

This is just a reminder to ask you to update your thread, it keeps it moving forwards. :)

How about that Monday review, would now be a good time for it?

Have fun,

Mal.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

how's it going? Did you try the weekly reviews? How did it go?

-Primož