The Rooster

• Padiz0
      Padiz0
      Bronze
      Hello everyone.

Who I am

My name is Felipe Baraky, I'm 20 years old and began playing poker professionaly (full time) last month. I was studying Law in UFJF and gave myself 6 months/1 year to try a poker/sports trading career. I'm from Brazil and started playing by december/2010.

Poker career and expectations

My poker career hasn't big hits, just made it slowly climbing the limits. Played MTT's for 7 months and won around 6k, which helped me to build my bankroll, but I'm a cash game fan and it's my aim. My expectations with poker are just to go as high as I can.

For this year, I want to become a strong NL200 (5bb/100) player.

Actually

I've been playing only NL100. Played 76k hands there since last month, and had a decent winrate...but recently I passed through a downswing that crushed it. I'm worried about what I may be doing so wrong to justify a so low winrate.

Tough spots

I've been struggling with 3-bet pots oop against aggressive opponents, mainly those willing to shove very lightly. I feel like I have to widen a lot my 4-bet/call range, to something like ATs+, 88+, to create a balance in my value/bluff range. If I'm willing to 4-bet/call only AQo/TT+ against a 12% 3-bet range, my bluff/value ratio seems to get very unbalanced and they can shove a lot against my 4-bets. Anyways, I'm still struggling a lot with this and calling these spots oop just doesn't seem profitable to me.

The Bootcamp

It's a golden opportunity and I hope we can discuss a lot more about these deep insights where most diamonds (NL100/200 players) struggle with.
  • 40 replies
    • Padiz0
      Padiz0
      Bronze
      Last 75k hands

Stats

Position

• pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Heyhey Padiz,

From your graph it looks like you have apparant leaks as your red line is very bad. Lets work on that this month.

From immediately looking at your pre flop stats, its apparant you are not 3betting enough, this will have an immediate effect on your red line as lots of the non showdown pots come from when you 3bet pre flop and they fold, or when they call and you have initiative.

Your vpip/pfr looks fine/good from most of the positions.

Do you feel like you are struggling in 3bet pots at the moment?
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Hello Felipe!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions you can just post them
      here and let me know in my Q&A thread if I take too long to reply. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so I don't miss anything. :)

Welcome to the boot camp!

Cheers!
    • Padiz0
      Padiz0
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Heyhey Padiz,

From your graph it looks like you have apparant leaks as your red line is very bad. Lets work on that this month.

From immediately looking at your pre flop stats, its apparant you are not 3betting enough, this will have an immediate effect on your red line as lots of the non showdown pots come from when you 3bet pre flop and they fold, or when they call and you have initiative.

Your vpip/pfr looks fine/good from most of the positions.

Do you feel like you are struggling in 3bet pots at the moment?
      Yes..I really am. In an out of position...I'm having a difficulty to define my range based in the villain, his range, his fold to 3-bet...etc. That's probably the reason for this bad red line, I guess.

Originally posted by ErikStenqvist
      Hello Felipe!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions you can just post them
      here and let me know in my Q&A thread if I take too long to reply. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so I don't miss anything. :)

Welcome to the boot camp!

Cheers!
      Thanks for the attention Erik.
    • sirrybob
      sirrybob
      Coach
      Coach
      Going to give you some advice about 4betting ranges. Let me know if this makes sense:

As a default, you don't know your opponent's 3betting range or 5betting range - the only thing you know is your opening range.

There is a gto approach to the 3bet4bet5bet game that is very easy to implement and should make you feel much more comfortable. You should use this as a default, and deviate if people are tighter or looser.

Not going to give you all the math and calculations here, but basically when opening oop you need to defend 33% of your opening range vs 3bets, with a 60-40 ratio between value (hands you're 4betcalling) and bluffs (hands you're 4betfolding). This should be your default to be unexploitable (Assuming you only 4bet or fold oop which is a good strategy if you feel uncomfortable calling 3bets oop).

So, going to give you a simple example.
      Say you open Cutoff with 24% of hands.
      You need to defend 33% of 24% so 8%.
      This is 60-40 ratio between value and bluffs, so 4.8% value, 3.2% bluffs.
      TT+,AQ+ is 4.7% of hands for value.
      ATo,AJo,KQo,KQs,AJs is 3.3% for bluffs (chosing bcz of blockers).

So in a similar way you can develop default strategies for each position and feel comfortable that these are unexploitable strategies, and just default to using them when you're not sure what to do and feel good about it.

Hope this was helpful :-)
    • Padiz0
      Padiz0
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sirrybob
      Going to give you some advice about 4betting ranges. Let me know if this makes sense:

As a default, you don't know your opponent's 3betting range or 5betting range - the only thing you know is your opening range.

There is a gto approach to the 3bet4bet5bet game that is very easy to implement and should make you feel much more comfortable. You should use this as a default, and deviate if people are tighter or looser.

Not going to give you all the math and calculations here, but basically when opening oop you need to defend 33% of your opening range vs 3bets, with a 60-40 ratio between value (hands you're 4betcalling) and bluffs (hands you're 4betfolding). This should be your default to be unexploitable (Assuming you only 4bet or fold oop which is a good strategy if you feel uncomfortable calling 3bets oop).

So, going to give you a simple example.
      Say you open Cutoff with 24% of hands.
      You need to defend 33% of 24% so 8%.
      This is 60-40 ratio between value and bluffs, so 4.8% value, 3.2% bluffs.
      TT+,AQ+ is 4.7% of hands for value.
      ATo,AJo,KQo,KQs,AJs is 3.3% for bluffs (chosing bcz of blockers).

So in a similar way you can develop default strategies for each position and feel comfortable that these are unexploitable strategies, and just default to using them when you're not sure what to do and feel good about it.

Hope this was helpful :-)
      That's a very insteresting way to create an initial 4b range (which I just have adjust later based upon the opponents). I'll definetely be using this as a starting point. Thanks sirrybob.

I'm still very uncomfortable playing 3bet pots with TT-QQ/AQs, AK from MP, because I feel every time I get these hands to showdown I'll be losing. Maybe I still have a microstakes "mindset" in this point.

Pleno1's coaching video today was great to me. I'll be using the suggested ranges EP aswell (EP and MP are certainly my worsts positions).
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      When you're starting to call 3bets out of position I think it's really nice to put every premium hand in your range. It's easier to learn what goes on this way because you'll get to showdown or make him fold way more often than when you have these TT/AQ type of hands.
    • Padiz0
      Padiz0
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LgWz
      When you're starting to call 3bets out of position I think it's really nice to put every premium hand in your range. It's easier to learn what goes on this way because you'll get to showdown or make him fold way more often than when you have these TT/AQ type of hands.
      You mean I should add some premium combos in my calling range oop, like kings and aces?

Other question:

How should I play against villains with something like 60+% min raise range from button, but who folds a lot to 3-bets? (like 70+%)

I'm actually 3-betting them with anything playable and calling with some marginal hands (like 9To) to play relatively aggressive post-flop.
    • Padiz0
      Padiz0
      Bronze
      I'm having a hard time playing aggainst polarized ranges (playing way ahead or way behind), pre and post flop. Any advices on how I should play these spots?

For example...playing TT/JJ on low boards after calling a 3-b OOP. Everytime I want to call down these hands I end up folding because of a terrible turn or river.
    • sirrybob
      sirrybob
      Coach
      Coach
      Vs polarized ranges oop:
      1. Best option - find out if your opponent is unbalanced. If he bluffs too much or too little, you have easy decisions (always call or always fold bluffcatchers). Look at his barreling %, river aggression frequency, W$WSF. Look for showdowns where he stopped bluffing. But sometimes this is hard, so we go to our other two options.

2. Play your range aggressively. Checkraise TT on the flop to stackoff, and count on your opponent bluffing someimtes or calling off AK high (or folding air) to make up for the times he has an overpair.

3. Slowplay. You would feel much more comfortable folding TT on a bad turn/river if you knew that you had hands in your range that could call. This might mean calling oop with AQ and KQs and floating low boards, and it might mean flatting KK-AA oop sometimes and just checkalling down.

4. Don't flat those hands oop! They are tough to play, if they're not good enough to 4bet stackoff you can always fold them.
    • Padiz0
      Padiz0
      Bronze
      Vs polarized ranges oop:
      1. Best option - find out if your opponent is unbalanced. If he bluffs too much or too little, you have easy decisions (always call or always fold bluffcatchers). Look at his barreling %, river aggression frequency, W$WSF. Look for showdowns where he stopped bluffing. But sometimes this is hard, so we go to our other two options.

2. Play your range aggressively. Checkraise TT on the flop to stackoff, and count on your opponent bluffing someimtes or calling off AK high (or folding air) to make up for the times he has an overpair.

3. Slowplay. You would feel much more comfortable folding TT on a bad turn/river if you knew that you had hands in your range that could call. This might mean calling oop with AQ and KQs and floating low boards, and it might mean flatting KK-AA oop sometimes and just checkalling down.

4. Don't flat those hands oop! They are tough to play, if they're not good enough to 4bet stackoff you can always fold them.
      Thanks for the answer sirrybob.

Yea, I usually think folding them would be an "easier" option, but I don't feel its right... What happens is, sometimes, buttons 3-bets like 6-9% but stackoff only with QQ+ AK. I feel like 4-betting TT-JJ-AQ here is isolating ourselves, but folding looks too weak also. I think I'll start playing them aggressively as you said, and I might also call some AJs/KQs and some combos of AA/KK to balance, what do you think? Remembering it's a 6-9% 3-bettor who stacks off only premiums.
    • Padiz0
      Padiz0
      Bronze
      To the mind coaches guys

I've been reading Schnitzelfisch's post "The quick guide to skyrocketing your poker and life productivity" and following the steps, but I stuck in a hard one.

When trying to select the habits I want to abandon, I realized my WHOLE routine is wrong. I don't have a defined time to sleep, grind, study, and even eat. I just let the hours past and do things when I feel like to. I think it's a terrible habit and demands a change in my whole routine. Can you guys help me build a new and more positive routine?

I do not exercise either, and actually my social life is pretty poor. The weird thing is that, actually, I don't REALLY care about these issues...really, I'm accommodated and I could simply not do anything about it and wouldn't feel really bad about it, at least for now.

But from the inside, deeply, I know I have to change and I'll be happier if I change myself and my negative habits. My habits are really messed up. I have to start from the zero, but I guarantee I'll put all my effort towards this new life style I want to have.

edit: forgot to say some things I want to fit in my routine besides the basic stuff like time to grind/study/eat/sleep. I want also some time for sports trading, which is also an interest of mine, and, if possible, some time to play guitar, which is my hobby =P (doesn't have to be every day).

Thanks everyone for answering my questions, it's being very helpful.
    • sirrybob
      sirrybob
      Coach
      Coach
      6-9% 3bettor who stacks off only premiums? Sign me in! :-)
      QQ+,AK is 2.6%.
      If he has 7% 3bet for example, and stacking off premiums, he is stacking off only 37% of the time (2.6/7).

If he 3bets to 9bb, and you 4bet to 22bb, you are risking 19 to win 13.5 (1.5 from blinds, 3 from your initial raise and 9 from his 3bet). This means you need 42% folds to breakeven on a bluff.

So basically, vs guys who stackoff premiums but 3bet 7%+, you can profitably 4bet bluff with any two cards!

Vs the guys with smaller than 7% 3bet, you can fold a hand like TT and shouldn't feel bad about it, they aren't getting out of line bluffing you, but actually bluffing the correct amount - so it's fine to fold bluffcatchers.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by Padiz0
      I realized my WHOLE routine is wrong.

But from the inside, deeply, I know I have to change and I'll be happier if I change myself and my negative habits.
      Hey!

Schnitzelfisch will give his take on this too, but here is the things that comes to mind.

You wont just wake up one day and every thing will have fallen into place. Take one thing at a time. Make exercise your main goal for example and you will see that things start to fall into place. Sleep and diet might start to change for the better etc. And look at exercise as well as a physical is a mental one. Try to observe your mind trying to make you quit when going gets tough.

This also happens when you realize so many things are not to you liking, or "wrong". "There is a mountain of things i need to do, how am I supposed to overcome all of that"

Well you do it one piece at a time, slowly and steadily. It's not a mountain, it's many small rocks lying around. Start by throwing them out. This is a good mindset to have because it makes you do a bit of work each day.

Keep us posted about the progress... :)
    • Padiz0
      Padiz0
      Bronze
      6-9% 3bettor who stacks off only premiums? Sign me in! :-)
      QQ+,AK is 2.6%.
      If he has 7% 3bet for example, and stacking off premiums, he is stacking off only 37% of the time (2.6/7).

If he 3bets to 9bb, and you 4bet to 22bb, you are risking 19 to win 13.5 (1.5 from blinds, 3 from your initial raise and 9 from his 3bet). This means you need 42% folds to breakeven on a bluff.

So basically, vs guys who stackoff premiums but 3bet 7%+, you can profitably 4bet bluff with any two cards!

Vs the guys with smaller than 7% 3bet, you can fold a hand like TT and shouldn't feel bad about it, they aren't getting out of line bluffing you, but actually bluffing the correct amount - so it's fine to fold bluffcatchers.
      Thanks sirrybob.

This means I'm 4-betting much less than I should, apparently. I've seen many 7-9% button 3-bettors and I don't really know how to profit against then.

See, if they 3-bet 9% and stack off TT+, AQs+ (3.8), I still have 58% fold equity against then. So unless they adapt and start shoving some of his bluffs, their 3-bet strategy will be highly exploitable.

Better than that, even if they have a 7% range, shoving 3.8% of it, I still have 46% FE, so it's profitable ao 4-bet any two in this situation too?

It seems it's profitable to 4-bet any two in most spots o.O. I think I must include 5b% in my HUD stats to help me determine my 4-b/call range.

Originally posted by ErikStenqvist
      Originally posted by Padiz0
      I realized my WHOLE routine is wrong.

But from the inside, deeply, I know I have to change and I'll be happier if I change myself and my negative habits.
      Hey!

Schnitzelfisch will give his take on this too, but here is the things that comes to mind.

You wont just wake up one day and every thing will have fallen into place. Take one thing at a time. Make exercise your main goal for example and you will see that things start to fall into place. Sleep and diet might start to change for the better etc. And look at exercise as well as a physical is a mental one. Try to observe your mind trying to make you quit when going gets tough.

This also happens when you realize so many things are not to you liking, or "wrong". "There is a mountain of things i need to do, how am I supposed to overcome all of that"

Well you do it one piece at a time, slowly and steadily. It's not a mountain, it's many small rocks lying around. Start by throwing them out. This is a good mindset to have because it makes you do a bit of work each day.

Keep us posted about the progress... :)
      Thanks Erik.

I'll take that as the first step then. I'll follow some advices Schnitzelfisch gave about nutrition is his post, and start going to the gym next monday. There's one really near and my roommate exercises there. I told him to charge me this promise next monday, so that I won't skip it =P
    • sirrybob
      sirrybob
      Coach
      Coach
      Sorry I had a mixup with numbers.
      The breakeven point is not them folding 42%, it's 58%. That still means 7% 3bet with QQ+,AK as a stackoff range is vulnerable, and 9% with TT+,AQ is about balanced (but if they're stacking of tighter it's vulnerable too).

Sorry about that mixup :-)
    • Padiz0
      Padiz0
      Bronze
      Sorry I had a mixup with numbers.
      The breakeven point is not them folding 42%, it's 58%. That still means 7% 3bet with QQ+,AK as a stackoff range is vulnerable, and 9% with TT+,AQ is about balanced (but if they're stacking of tighter it's vulnerable too).

Sorry about that mixup :-)
      Hahaha no problem. Doing the counts I was like: "wtf..this will lead into an insane 3-b/4b/5b battle". These numbers now are easier to deal with.
    • Padiz0
      Padiz0
      Bronze
      Btw..I'm not updating about grind related stuff because I'm waiting moneybookers to solve a deposit issue to play in microgaming (ladbrokes or 24hpoker).
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Cool,

I really love Microgaming software. Great that you will play there, fast, reliable, fishy, got it all!

Remember to email 24hr poker to tell them you are PokerStrategy.com member to get the 30% flat.