Dead Man Grinding

• yes100
      yes100
      Bronze
      Hi there!
      My name is Manuel, I'm 24 year old from Germany.

Poker history
      I started playing poker about 5 years ago with the free 50$ from Pokerstrategy.
      I managed to grind my way up to the 38$ FR SNGs on Stars.

Then moved to Cashgames, I don't know how but I managed to beat NL200. All I know it wasn`t because I worked hard for it since at least until mid 2012 I was a very lazy Poker player and didn`t do almost anything to improve my game.
      The only thing I did was discussing hands and playing swap sessions with a poker buddy from my town which I think was the reason I still managed to beat NL200 6max and cashed in some MTTs.

What do you play?
      At this time I mainly play NL100 ZOOM/Speed/Rush on various sites. Lately I playd on iPoker to reach the diamond-status.
      I first started to to move from regurlar NL200 Cash Games to NL200 ZOOM but I think I really didn`t have that much of an edge.

Graphs :D

NL100 Fast

NL200 ZOOM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see my main problem are Non-SD winnings! I really tried to work at it a lot lately but still here I have to search for my biggest leaks.

What do you sturggle with?

- As mentioned redline!
      - Volume! I really don`t manage to put in a lot of volume. This was also the reason moving to ZOOM/Fast Poker. Still I think I never managed to play more than 50k hands in one month with is not acceptable for a "poker-pro"

- Mindset! I'm really looking forward to some advices from Erik Stenqvist since I could identify myself with the problems he mentioned in his intervew.

"Poker gave me freedom and the opportunity to travel the world - but these benefits came at a price. I was no longer happy.
      Looking back, I realised I’d arrive at the tables with hesitation, tilt and fear."
      Signed!

Goals and aspirations for poker

- Beating NL200 ZOOM
      - Beating NL500 ZOOM (would be awesome but think thats a long way)

What needs to be done / goals for archieving my goals

- Don`t play Sunday MTTs anymore (1 time / month allowed)
      - Don`t play MTTs instead of Cash (especially when tired!)
      - Take my time in (tough) spots as I often just hurry even with like 30 secs left on Stars, afraid to give timing tells, look weak and so on and then ending up choosing a not optimal line even though I know better.
      -> Instead better do some theory work, there is enough to do:

- Finally finish and internalize Preflop-Gameplan
      Status: Almost finished! SB still missing but waiting for The Opencomplete-Content,
      Some 3Bet Ranges need some improves maybe
      - Improve HUD
      - Work on Cbetting-Gameplan!
      - Analyse BB-defend spots!
      - Analyse playing from the BU!
      - Analyse the best Betsizing in various spots / getting a feel for maxEV decisions!

What do you want to get out of the bootcamp?

- Manage to play more volume!
      - Improve Redline
      - Be tilt free and enjoy the game again
  • 19 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Manuel,

Nice of you to jump over to the English forum <333

Interesting to look at your fast poke graph:

It really looks like you are potentially giving up on too many pots, your red line is really weak and I think that is what we should try and work on in the bootcamp.

Could you post some positional stats so we can look into it and try to find some potential reasons why we are struggling with it?

Thanks and looking forward to this one ;)

Patrick
    • yes100
      yes100
      Bronze
      Hey,
      thanks for taking care!

Wall of stats incoming since in HM2 you can only see Hero stats for all hands in Reports as far as I know:

RFI

EP: 15.7
      MP: 18.8
      CO: 31
      BU: 64.5
      SB: 39

3Bet

MP: 6.6
      CO: 8.45
      BU: 9.92
      SB: 7.83
      BB: 6.92

Squeeze
      TOT: 6.36
      BB: 6.8
      SB: 6.04
      BU:6.52
      CO: 4
      MP: 3.85

Call Raise
      MP: 4.3
      CO: 6.75
      BU: 9.98

vs 3Bet
      SB Call:23
      SB Fold: 60
      BU Call: 21
      BU Fold: 68
      CO Call: 29
      CO Fold: 58
      MP Call: 32
      MP Fold: 55
      EP Call: 33.5
      EP Fold: 55

3Bet Pot
      Cbet Flop: 64
      Cbet Turn: 46
      Cbet River: 51
      Fold vs Cbet Flop: 44.5
      Fold vs Cbet Turn: 39
      Fold vs Cbet River: 40

vs 4Bet+

Fold vs 4Bet: 56
      Fold vs 5Bet: 40

vs Steal

3Bet BB: 8.81
      3bet SB: 10.4
      Fold BB: 70
      Fold SB: 81
      Call BB: 21.19
      Call SB: 8.6

Cbet

Flop IP: 70
      Turn IP: 50
      River IP: 50

Flop OOP: 56
      Turn OOP: 45
      River OOP: 61

vs Cbet IP

Flop Call: 41.5
      Flop Raise: 17.7
      Flop Fold: 40.8

Turn Call: 50
      Turn Raise: 11
      Turn Fold: 39

River Call: 40
      River Raise: 23.9
      River Fold: 43

vs Cbet OOP

Flop Call: 39.3
      Flop Raise: 18.6
      Flop Fold: 42.1

Turn Call: 51.5
      Turn Raise: 10.4
      Turn Fold: 38.3

River Call: 48.3
      River Raise: 10.1
      River Fold: 42.7

vs cRaise

Fold Flop: 51
      Fold Turn: 48
      Fold River: 42

AF
      AF Flop: 2.8
      AF Turn: 2.4
      AF River: 2.9

Some own thoughts:

- Could Squeeze and 3Bet a little bit more
      - passiv defend more in BB?
      - 3Bet more vs steal?
      - Should call less vs 3Bet and 4Bet/stack-off light more
      - Maybe Cbet IP less to have a more balanced checkbehind range and to be able to barrel more turns and rivers. This would lead to a more polarized Cbetting-Range.
      Problem here is that I for example like to cbet weak TPs, check back the turn and balance my turn check-back range by doing that.
      So I don't know how to balance my
      a) Cbetting Range
      b) Check-back Flop Range
      c) Check-Back Turn Range

without one of the ranges being too weak.

- Should barrel more turns OOP but most regs seem like paranoid stations to me so I play a little bit exploitive here but maybe too much especially for NL200 ZOOM.
      - Should construct a more balanced checking range OOP an the flop/turn/river since I guess I'm check-folding waaay too often in these spots.
      Again I think it's very difficult to have a balanced Cbet- and checking-Range since one range may always be too weak

If I have a polarized Cbet-Range, I guess I should float/click back against (check)raises with a good frequency?
      Against opponents who will attack capped ranges with overbets I should mix in some of my top-range to my checking range.

This leads to another question:
      Should I also try to construct a turn cRaising Range and how do I do this without my betting range is getting too weak?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there Manuel,

I would like to help you with your volume problem :) .

May I just ask a couple of questions?

1. How much volume do you put in daily/weekly/monthly?
      2. How much volume would you like to put in monthly?
      3. Do you have some kind of a schedule/set amount of hours for grinding, or is it random?
      4. How have you tried increasing your volume in the past? What worked? What didn't?
      5. Are there any times at which you especially feel like grinding, or don't feel like grinding?

I'm looking forward to your answers!

-Primož
    • yes100
      yes100
      Bronze
      Hey thanks and here are the answers:

1. Depends on a lot of things:

a) confidence - If i play a limit I'm not having a big edge or I even dont know (like NL200 ZOOM) Ì will play very short sessions running away scared when I drop 2-3 stacks, hit and run when I`m up 3-4 stacks.
      b) mental fitness - When I feel I´m not focused (any more or just from the beginning of the day) I will stop and ridiculously often play some tournaments.
      c) motivation - I have phases where I set myself big goals and where I`m highly motivated but in case somthing goes wrong (like a downswing) I just cancel it all/don`t stick to my plan anymore.

On avarage I play like 1k hands/day - 30k/month.

2. I`d like to put in at least 80k hands in a normal grinding month which schould be archieveable when playing ZOOM. In the long run I'd like to increase this to ~120k hands/month.

3. Well I made myself a lot of schedules in the past put only sticked to it some days most of the time.
      My latest plan is one week old and I managed to stick to it the last week. It looks like this:

08:30 Get up
      - Breakfast, coffee, taking a walk, shower, taking some gingko/green tea extract/vit B
      10:00 Work / Warm-up/ Theory
      10:45 5 Min Break
      10:50 Work
      11:35 20 Min break
      11:55 Work
      12:40 5 Min break
      12:45 Work
      13:30 1 hour break / eating / maybe doing a nap / maybe going for walk again
      14:30 Work
      15:30 5 Min Break
      15:20 Work
      16:05 20 Min Break / maybe early finishing time
      16:25 Work
      17:10 5 Min break
      17:15 Work
      18:00 Finish / Away from the computer!

In this case as you can see grinding is not particularly planned since I want to do a lot of theory this month. And after doing some I`ll always want to play some hands anyway.
      In addition to the plan I try to go jogging in the evenening at least 3 times/week and eating as healthy as possible which also worked great last week.

4. Mostly with schedules. It often worked for some days but most of the time I was just extremely tired after some so I had to cancel.
      Grinding really makes me tired very fast even if I take a lot of breaks.
      I think it maybe because I'm -to quote Erik Stenqvist again- "arriving at the tables with hesitation, tilt and fear" so it maybe a lot more exhausting for me.

5. Times I feel like grinding: When my girlfriend is @ work (2-3 times a week in the evening) or somewhere else I have alot of time for myself/nothing to do instead.
      I even considered renting an office sometime :D

Times I don`t feel like grinding: When I`m tired/not focused, when I`m up 3-4 stacks+ (I`m scared to srew up my happy day then)
    • yes100
      yes100
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey Manuel,

Nice of you to jump over to the English forum <333

Interesting to look at your fast poke graph:

It really looks like you are potentially giving up on too many pots, your red line is really weak and I think that is what we should try and work on in the bootcamp.

Could you post some positional stats so we can look into it and try to find some potential reasons why we are struggling with it?

Thanks and looking forward to this one ;)

Patrick[/quote]

Lol just noticed it was more like the postions report you related to:

- Again it seems like I should really try to defend more in the blinds!
      - Don`t know if it`s due to variance but CO BB/100 > BU BB/100 seems really strange and something I also should look into.
      - EDIT: Something I just thought about : I think I have to get away from the level "I bet x$ so he can still call xx so I bet x$ so it looks like I want him to call xx. (Obv. especially in spots where villian is capped)
      Because by doing that I make myself pretty easy to play since villian can often just make a correct Odds call. I'm pretty tired right now so just wanted to write it down for tomorrow and maybe get some opinions about that next days.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again Manuel,

that sounds like a pretty interesting schedule. I like the breaks, I also like the idea that you don't have set times for grinding/theory. I love the evenings away from the screens as well!

I can see that you have some mental game problems, and I'm sure that Erik will visit this thread and give you some advice for fixing them - that should enable you to stick to your schedule easier!

You've mentioned that you've managed to stick to this schedule for a week. I am of the opinion that you shouldn't change something that works ;) . So if it keeps working, great!

I am wondering however - what happens if something unexpected comes up during the day and messes up your schedule? How do you react to it?

When do you tend to be tired/unfocused? When you start right away? Or after a couple of short sessions?

If something goes wrong and you lose your confidence on the higher limit - would it be possible for you to go work on your game for a bit, and then play on a lower limit for some time? This should still be better than to just give up on your plan - it's always good to have a backup plan!

As for your volume goals, well, you pretty much want to more than double (optimally quadruple!) your grinding volume. That is an aspiring goal, but is it realistic to expect to be able to increase the volume for that much?

If you are used to grinding 30k hands per month, actually grinding 80k hands the next one might exhaust you, force you to play tired and on autopilot, and destroy your results. So that might not be the best idea. Also, how would you feel if you managed to grind 40k hands but set a goal of 80k hands?

You would probably feel pretty bad, despite making a 33% improvement on your grinding volume!

I think it's good to have high expectations and aspiring goals. However, it is probably more realistic to expect a gradual improvement if you want to really improve consistently and not give up in the process.

So for example, if you played 40k hands this month, 50k the next, 60k the next, and managed to maintain your winrate, wouldn't that be better than reaching 80k hands this month and becoming a breakeven player :) ?

Think about it. Do you think that this way of goal setting could work better for you and decrease the possiblity of burnouts and frustrations?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

-Primož
    • yes100
      yes100
      Bronze
      Hey and thanks for your reply!

I can answer some of your questions very good since I messed up my schedule yesterday.

I am wondering however - what happens if something unexpected comes up during the day and messes up your schedule? How do you react to it?

Well I was grinding a lot on Sunday like a 12 hours session straight. Was done at ~2am and couldn`t sleep until ~7am.
      On a lot of Sunday (MTT-Sessions) I'm experiencing that I just can`t shut myself down after busting in the last MTT.
      I tend to think about hands, concepts, possible future improvements and so on and will often even start another short session (yes MTT!) like 1 hour after busting in the last MTT.
      -> Defenetely chasing the "big cash dream"!
      This time I went jogging at 2 am, then watched some NBA and played some cash hands.
      Needless to say at least playing cash was extremely unnecessary.
      Strange thing is I really often ended up shipping an MTT / making some stacks in Cash and feel like playing at least OK. Think it`s more like very fishy @ these times.

Well, so obviously my schedule for Monday was messed up. I sleeped until 12am and then used the day to recover / clean up my flat what was totally fine for me after grinding that much on Sunday.
      What really pisses me off is that I also messed up my sleeping schedule and ended up sleeping only ~4 hours last night so today will also not be a very productive day I guess.

I think it's very clear I shouldn't grind on Sundays for some months or at at least max 1 time a month.
      I love Sunday-MTTs but it just robbs too much of my energy and my mindset is just too weak for it (and it's not even close!)

When do you tend to be tired/unfocused? When you start right away? Or after a couple of short sessions?

Depends. Some days I just won`t be able to focus right from the beginning but mostly after a few sessions.
      I think for being focused at the first session a warm-up works fine so maybe I should do another warm-up after my 1 hour break and see how it works.

If something goes wrong and you lose your confidence on the higher limit - would it be possible for you to go work on your game for a bit, and then play on a lower limit for some time?

Thats defenetely possible for playing NL100 instead of NL200 but often times I will get lazy / stay on NL100 because it's much more easy to beat for me. It's as well a limit I have a good confidence so I don`t question myself and my game after dropping some stacks.
      That`s the confidence I will need for NL200.

So for example, if you played 40k hands this month, 50k the next, 60k the next

That`s a great hint, didn`t see it like that before. Really makes a lot more sense, will be doing it like that!
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Hey Manuel!

Sorry for the late reply! Grinding the Sunday Million and then a long time of rest after that :)

Nice to hear that what i wrote is something you can relate to. Then you wont mind if I make you work really hard ;)

So what issue do you feel is the most important one for you to focus on first?
      just try to explain it as well as you can and I'll do my best to assist you in rooting out and dealing with it...

Looking forward to working with you and welcome to the bootcamp!

Cheers!
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by yes100
      Hey,
      thanks for taking care!

Wall of stats incoming since in HM2 you can only see Hero stats for all hands in Reports as far as I know:

RFI

3Bet

Squeeze

Call Raise

vs 3Bet

3Bet Pot

vs 4Bet+

vs Steal

Cbet

vs Cbet IP

vs Cbet OOP

vs cRaise

AF

Some own thoughts:

- 3Bet more vs steal?
      - Maybe Cbet IP less to have a more balanced checkbehind range and to be able to barrel more turns and rivers. This would lead to a more polarized Cbetting-Range.
      Problem here is that I for example like to cbet weak TPs, check back the turn and balance my turn check-back range by doing that.
      a) Cbetting Range
      b) Check-back Flop Range
      c) Check-Back Turn Range

- Should barrel more turns OOP but most regs seem like paranoid stations to me so I play a little bit exploitive here but maybe too much especially for NL200 ZOOM.
      - Should construct a more balanced checking range OOP an the flop/turn/river since I guess I'm check-folding waaay too often in these spots.
      Again I think it's very difficult to have a balanced Cbet- and checking-Range since one range may always be too weak

If I have a polarized Cbet-Range, I guess I should float/click back against (check)raises with a good frequency?
      Against opponents who will attack capped ranges with overbets I should mix in some of my top-range to my checking range.

Should I also try to construct a turn cRaising Range and how do I do this without my betting range is getting too weak?
      Hey,

RFI stats look really good.

Your 3bet stats are good, although you are potentially not 3betting enough from the big blind, what is you defending range vs a button min raise?

I think you should cbet more oop, in position you can even check back more and raise turn bets or call down, but out of position, without initiative, its going to be extremely tough.

I also think you can perhaps 4bet bluff more btn vs blinds.
    • yes100
      yes100
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ErikStenqvist
      Hey Manuel!

Sorry for the late reply! Grinding the Sunday Million and then a long time of rest after that :)

Nice to hear that what i wrote is something you can relate to. Then you wont mind if I make you work really hard ;)

So what issue do you feel is the most important one for you to focus on first?
      just try to explain it as well as you can and I'll do my best to assist you in rooting out and dealing with it...

Looking forward to working with you and welcome to the bootcamp!

Cheers!

Hi Erik, great to have you in my thread and thanks for replying!

I will try to explain what I mean when identifying myself with "arrive at the tables with hesitation, tilt and fear"

Some examples from NL100/NL200:

NL200:

On NL200 It`s moneyscared at the first point even though I have a total solid BR for playing it. I'm scared I don't have the skill for beating it/get outplayed all the time.
      So actually I`m arriving at the tables with hesitation and fear!

I will end up playing too tight, not 3betting enough, heart-rate goes up very noticeable every time I 4bet, cRaise or make a 3barrel no matter if it`s for value or as a bluff.
      That will result in not being able to think clearly in that spots.
      Even if I loose a very small Pot at the beginning of the session I'm already in some kind of a "chasing-mode".
      When really dropping some stacks it can happen that I'm tilting more, clicking buttons faster etc.
      I think I mostly have 2 main "Tilt-Modes"

1. When I think I played bad I'm very angry at myself but most likely quitting.
      2. When I think I play solid but run bad / Villians making bad calls against my bluffs etc. I will play more tables / click buttons faster / In this mode I'm not moneyscared anymore!

NL100:

I'm not as moneyscared as on NL200 but still fear loosing some stacks and screw up my day. Most of the time I'm confident in my game but still after bad sessions I will brood over every close spot an can't get rid of these thouhts for hours.

Arriving at the tables with Tilt

In a downswing this will often happen. I'm thinking like "this time I will beat them all" but in an angry, not in a good confident way.
      So as you can imagine if something at the beginning of a session goes wrong I'm already an a very high tilt level.

Arriving at the tables with fear and hesitation (Mostly on NL200)

This in contrast will often happen when I'm in an upswing. When I had 2-3 good days I'm in a good mood which I don't want t screw up.
      So I will play very short sessions, playing too tight again, fold too much vs barrels, try to avoid tough spots.
      I I loose 1 stack+ it can already happen that I go into "chasing-mode" again!
    • yes100
      yes100
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by pleno1
      [SPOILER]
      Hey,
      thanks for taking care!

RFI

3Bet

Squeeze

Call Raise

vs 3Bet

3Bet Pot

vs 4Bet+

vs Steal

Cbet

vs Cbet IP

vs Cbet OOP

vs cRaise

AF
      [/SPOILER]

Some own thoughts:

- 3Bet more vs steal?
      a) Cbetting Range
      b) Check-back Flop Range
      c) Check-Back Turn Range

Hey,

RFI stats look really good.

Your 3bet stats are good, although you are potentially not 3betting enough from the big blind, what is you defending range vs a button min raise?

I think you should cbet more oop, in position you can even check back more and raise turn bets or call down, but out of position, without initiative, its going to be extremely tough.

I also think you can perhaps 4bet bluff more btn vs blinds.[/quote]
      Hi there, thanks for your reply!

I think I used to passiv defend the BB too tight.
      I will work through the BBvsBU Minraise thread but think I will try to passiv defend something like this vs a BU Minraise:

Will be 3-bet shoving some KQs/A2-A5s Combos and 3bet-Bluff some Q7s-Q8s/K7s-K8s etc. I think.

Btw. also posted a Hm2 positions report some posts later, maybe you can have a quick look into that as my CO Winrate is a lot higher than my BU winrate (maybe variance or I might be opening too wide from BU)
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Yeah I get where you are coming from, sounds familiar! :)

I just want to get a better picture of what you poker "world" looks like. Do you have any experience of the following? If yes try to explain in detail what it looks like.
      • Mindfulness & Meditation
      • Warm-Up Routine
      • A tilt profile: What types of tilt that usually show up, in what situation, what the first signs are etc written down?
      • An in game strategy to actively anticipate, prepare for and combat in real time at the tables
      • Post Session analysis
      • Previous experience in working on the Mental side of poker..

Well go at this in a structured fashion so take your time and don't rush it. he way to deal with these issues is to actively start facing the root cause of the issue through exercises on and off the tables and at the tables. We'll get there but need some more information gathering.

Hope your doing good and keep working hard :)
    • yes100
      yes100
      Bronze
      Well I have little to no experience with these things. I will still write what comes to my mind:

Mindfulness & Meditation
      Had to google it at first but read a german book " Living in the moment" about it years ago which content goes in this direction I think. Worked like 2 weeks or so with it found it interesting but stopped because I didn't notice a benefit.
      But think what you mean is still a little bit different so I will defenetely work myself into that.
      Could you maybe tell me like what benefits you got from it?

Warm-up Routine
      Think I read something about it somewhere "Mindset of Poker" maybe?
      What I do or at least try to do is a warm-up in form of taking a walk and doing 1 Hand-Analyse/watching a video/working on my hud/...
      But if I remember right a Warm-Up Routine is more like always doing exactly the same before a session like 2 minutes deep breathing / bringing myself into "Poker-mode" right?

A tilt profile: What types of tilt that usually show up, in what situation, what the first signs are etc written down?
      Read about it in "Mindset of Poker" but didn't ever write anything down. When reading about it I was like "Oh ok now I know, whats next". I wanted to work through it again this month so I guess this whould be a good thing to start with now.

An in game strategy to actively anticipate, prepare for and combat in real time at the tables
      Don`t have that. Think there was also something about it in "Mindset of Poker" but also here I thought "Ok good to know, next step". Think I will first have to write types of tilt down and then look into that.

Post Session analysis
      Did not ever do that. Do you mean from a Hand-Analyse perspective or more like analysing my mental side / writing down what came through my mind during the session?

Previous experience in working on the Mental side of poker..
      As you can see it's not much. All I did was like speed-reading "Mental Game of Poker" during few days and then thinking "Ok now I know".
      And maybe go jogging after long sessions to calm down if one can call this working on Mental Game (I don`t think so since it didn`t work that well).
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey and thanks for your reply!

I can answer some of your questions very good since I messed up my schedule yesterday.

Well I was grinding a lot on Sunday like a 12 hours session straight. Was done at ~2am and couldn`t sleep until ~7am.
      On a lot of Sunday (MTT-Sessions) I'm experiencing that I just can`t shut myself down after busting in the last MTT.
      I tend to think about hands, concepts, possible future improvements and so on and will often even start another short session (yes MTT!) like 1 hour after busting in the last MTT.
      -> Defenetely chasing the "big cash dream"!
      This time I went jogging at 2 am, then watched some NBA and played some cash hands.
      Needless to say at least playing cash was extremely unnecessary.
      Strange thing is I really often ended up shipping an MTT / making some stacks in Cash and feel like playing at least OK. Think it`s more like very fishy @ these times.

Well, so obviously my schedule for Monday was messed up. I sleeped until 12am and then used the day to recover / clean up my flat what was totally fine for me after grinding that much on Sunday.
      What really pisses me off is that I also messed up my sleeping schedule and ended up sleeping only ~4 hours last night so today will also not be a very productive day I guess.

I think it's very clear I shouldn't grind on Sundays for some months or at at least max 1 time a month.
      I love Sunday-MTTs but it just robbs too much of my energy and my mindset is just too weak for it (and it's not even close!)

Depends. Some days I just won`t be able to focus right from the beginning but mostly after a few sessions.
      I think for being focused at the first session a warm-up works fine so maybe I should do another warm-up after my 1 hour break and see how it works.

If something goes wrong and you lose your confidence on the higher limit - would it be possible for you to go work on your game for a bit, and then play on a lower limit for some time?

Thats defenetely possible for playing NL100 instead of NL200 but often times I will get lazy / stay on NL100 because it's much more easy to beat for me. It's as well a limit I have a good confidence so I don`t question myself and my game after dropping some stacks.
      That`s the confidence I will need for NL200.

So for example, if you played 40k hands this month, 50k the next, 60k the next

That`s a great hint, didn`t see it like that before. Really makes a lot more sense, will be doing it like that!
      Hey again,

I can understand how that screws up your schedule completely, yeah. As for quick fixes, well, one option would be to not play MTTs and the other one would be to completely change your schedule so that you wake up later, work later, etc... but i'm not sure how that would work out for you.

MTTs are a pretty varying/unexpected thing. You might end them at 1am or 8am, so they can really screw up your sleep, productivity, etc.

So i'm not sure if there is really a way to have a consistent, normal schedule if you also want to play MTTs (apart from waking up when the first MTT starts, so in the afternoon/evening... but that might effect your productivity too much if you tend to be more productive in the morning.

For now, I suggest that you stick to playing them 1x/month. I'll let you know if I think of something more efficient ;) . Stake someone else for MTTs maybe :D ?

Shutting your mind down after MTTs can definitely be hard as well. The thing that comes to my mind here would definitely be meditation - perhaps Erik could give you some advice for this problem :) .

Trying another warm-up after a break or when you lose focus seems like a great idea - let us know how it goes!

As for moving down, well, you can commit to only stay on the old limit until you've made back the money you've lost at most. So when you do make back the 5BI you've lost on NL200 with NL100, you have to move back to NL200, no bs excuses not to :) !

What do you think?

-Primož
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      [quote]Originally posted by yes100

Mindfulness & Meditation

Warm-up Routine

[B] A tilt profile: What types of tilt that usually show up, in what situation,

An in game strategy to actively anticipate, prepare for and combat in real time at the tables

Post Session analysis

Previous experience in working on the Mental side of poker..
      [/quote]Try to put them in order of relevance or what you think would be the most beneficial or inspiring to work on. And well see what area we want to attack first.

Cheers!
    • yes100
      yes100
      Bronze
      Hi there,

took some time for this update as I worked on my Preflop-Gameplan which is almost finshed now. I'm pretty confident with it and also think I found some leaks in my previous BU-Gameplan.
      Also worked a lot on my HUD and think I improved it a lot with some Notecaddy stuff.

I will try to implement a Warm-up Routine with the new video from Erik which gives a great start to me as I don`t have a lot of experience with this stuff.

I will play a short session now testing my gameplan and the hud. Couldn`t listen to Erik`s Warm-Up vid since I`m very tired.
      Still I feel confident and concentrated enough to play like 2 Fast-Poker tables.
      Will post a short session review later.

Some goals for the week:

- Implement Warm-Up Routine with Erik`s vid
      - Finish HUD
      - Improve Gameplan if necessary
      - Build more confidence and play some NL200 ZOOM again if I had some good NL100 Sessions
      - Analyse Post-Flop Spots I felt uncomfortable/unsure
    • yes100
      yes100
      Bronze
      So, just played my short Session, felt concentrated but had to take a lot of time since I tried to stick to my new Gameplan AND wans't that familiar with the new HUD.
      I really liked I wasn't auto-piloting my Gameplan and still managed to play some exploitive Lines in the right spots.

Some hands:

Calling Pre due to his small 3Bet size.
      Whould probably 4bet-fold KQo maybe call KQs/AJs and some KK+ combos.
      Flop play I'm not sure. Check/call feels more like the right play, but: During the hand I thought I'd also shove draws (after the hand: well what draws do I have in my range here?) and if he ever folds somekind of draw it's fine for me / a lot of turns just will be very ugly.
      If he 3bet some small Ax he will most likely call. So can't be a terrible play I guess.

BTN: $49 (49 bb)
      SB: $105.07 (105.1 bb)
      BB: $55.14 (55.1 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $100 (100 bb)
      MP: $148.41 (148.4 bb)
      CO: $110.46 (110.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A Q
      Hero raises to $3, 2 folds, BTN raises to $7.50, 2 folds, Hero calls $4.50

Flop: ($16.50) 8 A K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $6.93, Hero raises to $92.50 and is all-in

Standard all the way?
      Someone considers 4betting?
      Can't really think about folding the River given his betsize I think.
      Also I'm not sure I would ever have somthing better beside Kx in my range, TJ seems too weak on the turn with the board paired.
      Still if he has a reasonable range not much I beat on that river.

BTN: $226.84 (226.8 bb)
      Hero (SB): $108.75 (108.8 bb)
      BB: $112.46 (112.5 bb)
      UTG: $115.53 (115.5 bb)
      MP: $101.30 (101.3 bb)
      CO: $52.50 (52.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A Q
      4 folds, Hero raises to $3, BB raises to $6, Hero calls $3

Flop: ($12) K Q K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $8, Hero calls $8

Turn: ($28) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $15, Hero calls $15

River: ($58) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $20, Hero calls $20

Think I should barrel the turn. Could fold out some PPs and it's good to have a decepted draw for at least one river blank for my range.
      Defenetely a hand I should analyse tomorrow since that kind of spots wille come up frequently and I really don't have some kind of overall gameplan.

As played plan was check/call some blank rivers if he checks back since (at least on 100NL) most people check back draws in 3Bet-Pots.
      Also the turn looks like I could cRaise a lot.
      River as played pretty standard I think especially vs this betsize.
      Also splitting with most Ax, Villian could defenetely have QT/FDs/random floats and think would bet most value-hands bigger.

BTN: $97.94 (97.9 bb)
      SB: $100 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $158.91 (158.9 bb)
      UTG: $106.23 (106.2 bb)
      MP: $101.50 (101.5 bb)
      CO: $98.28 (98.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A 3
      2 folds, CO raises to $3, 2 folds, Hero raises to $10, CO calls $7

Flop: ($20.50) 5 2 K (2 players)
      Hero bets $10, CO calls $10

Turn: ($40.50) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($40.50) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $20, Hero calls $20

Villian had a very high fold vs 4bet IP so I also think the Min5Bet should be strong.
      Whould you onsider call/shove light with some hands here?
      [SPOILER]

Hero (BTN): $100 (100 bb)
      SB: $237.39 (237.4 bb)
      BB: $142.67 (142.7 bb)
      UTG: $112.72 (112.7 bb)
      MP: $59.03 (59 bb)
      CO: $105.87 (105.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 8 A
      3 folds, Hero raises to $2.50, SB raises to $10, BB folds, Hero raises to $21, SB raises to $32, Hero folds

[/spoiler]

Pretty interesting river-spot for me. Pre just flatting because of the fish in the blinds.
      Raing the flop due to his small sizing.
      Flop Raise should be larger I think as fish will be calling with any draw/Kx anyway.
      Anyway 8$ could still be a bluff so still not that bad?
      When Reg clicks back I'm in calldown mode. His turn bet seems weak but still no reason to raise imo since his range should still be sth like AK, sets, maybe weird/weak draws, maybe weird KQ, bluffs.
      Thats also the reason I checkback the river.
      Do you see any value in a bet here??
      [SPOILER]

BTN: $100 (100 bb)
      SB: $118.60 (118.6 bb)
      BB: $100 (100 bb)
      UTG: $168.65 (168.7 bb)
      MP: $100 (100 bb)
      Hero (CO): $141.30 (141.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A K
      UTG raises to $2.50, MP folds, Hero calls $2.50, 2 folds, BB calls $1.50

Flop: ($8) K 8 7 (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG bets $3, Hero raises to $8, BB folds, UTG raises to $17, Hero calls $9

Turn: ($42) 3 (2 players)
      UTG bets $22, Hero calls $22

River: ($86) 2 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

[/spoiler]
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Hi there,

took some time for this update as I worked on my Preflop-Gameplan which is almost finshed now. I'm pretty confident with it and also think I found some leaks in my previous BU-Gameplan.
      Also worked a lot on my HUD and think I improved it a lot with some Notecaddy stuff.

I will try to implement a Warm-up Routine with the new video from Erik which gives a great start to me as I don`t have a lot of experience with this stuff.

I will play a short session now testing my gameplan and the hud. Couldn`t listen to Erik`s Warm-Up vid since I`m very tired.
      Still I feel confident and concentrated enough to play like 2 Fast-Poker tables.
      Will post a short session review later.

Some goals for the week:

- Implement Warm-Up Routine with Erik`s vid
      - Finish HUD
      - Improve Gameplan if necessary
      - Build more confidence and play some NL200 ZOOM again if I had some good NL100 Sessions
      - Analyse Post-Flop Spots I felt uncomfortable/unsure
      How has this been working out for you? Have you been able to implement any of this yet?
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Manuel, how are you; well I hope?

Just a note to see if you had an update for Erik on those suggestions?

Have fun,

Mal.