THIS GUY! Another over ambitious failure..

• mko101
      mko101
      Bronze
      I wanted to keep it short, oh welllsss...

First of all, if you wanna understand my poker life, you probably need to understand my personality a bit.

19 year old, living on forbidden lands. I'm generally lazy but if I do something, I do it 200% (even writing this god damn intro that barely anyone will read took me 3 days of thinking). And I don't give up until I succeed. I'm a very calm person, and usually tilt-free. I'm also anti-BRM nit, meaning I succesfully played on 10BI rule (sometimes it was even 8 :D )

Now on to poker, I played SH games for 1.5 years blahblahbalh. Long story short, thanks to my ambition drive was able to move up from NL30 to NL200 in 5 months, then hit an ugly DS, got back to midstakes in early summer followed by a bigger cashout and drop in stakes.

From there, everything went downfall. Currently, I'm one of the biggest winners at NL50 at my site this year (graph below), but ran so horribly when shooting higher stakes every time that my mind got used to it, and I insta-tilt after just one cooler. It messed up my psyche so much because for a guy like me, every failure felt like a bullet in the chest.

Fortunately, I'm too ambitious to give up. The next morning, after another unsuccesful shot, I'm ready to put in twice as much work and finally crush it. I won't give up until I do, and the boot camp seems a perfect opportunity to increase my skill even more. I love studying the game and wish I did a little bit more of it (now it's maybe between 80/20 - 70/30)

ALERT: MENTAL BITCHINN
      One important thing to point out is that I always lack focus, both in real life and at the tables. I can focus for a short period of time then I drift away thinking of totally different things and I'll realize after a while that I'm not focused. When reading a book, I often have to reread every other paragraph. It is probably a factor of unhealthy routine.
      It probably affects my game a lot, and I immodestly admit I have enough skill to beat NL100/200 for a decent WR if I focused more intense for a longer period of time. (Psstt, Erik. You don't have to introduce yourself. I know exactly who you are, muaha)

CH-CH-CH-CHANGEEESSSS
      RE-RE-REEDNESSSS - my redline's been aaalways horrible. Even though I'm not a nit post, overbet frequently and put pressure on people, it's still going down. Might be gameplan leaks, pre-flop game. No clue, couldn't find a cure for a long time. It's also the main problem of losing money higher (BUT ALSO flat blue line cause can't win shit)

MORE GAME THEORY! - people don't pay nearly enough attention to game theory at lower stakes, and while playing GTO wouldn't be as profitable, basic math/game theory knowledge is very useful, espiecially when you're considering moving up.

GET CR-EV - goes hand-in-hand with above. Getting ranges in order, frequencies and unbeatable gameplan.

ADJUSTMENTS/ADAPTATION - after all, why are we intelligent species in the first place? It's nature's law that whoever adapts better, survives. That's why I want to improve my adjustments (deviations from my #2 unbeatable gameplan :D ) towards my opponents and also foresee and react towards adaptation that others do vs. me

(you can skip..)
      Less time on 2p2, youtube etc. - even though, I go to school full-time, play 40-50k hands a month on 6-tables, I still think I spend too much time on pointless activity when instead I could be learning more game theory for example!

I love talking/watching/analyzing/anything-with-poker-ing so I'm always happy to add more people on Skype to talk to, or anything (just a subtle suggestion!)

If I remember anything else I wanted to say (bad memory..) I'll post it later.

Peace (& carrots)

Pssttt..Giraffeeee!
      Last 5 months:

• 42 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey mko101,

Very interesting that you have mental problems, however I think this is very normal for a 19 year old. One thing I'd like to ask you about is how do you feel about having more money than your friends/peers. Do you like the fact you appear balla and doing well or uncomfortable about it?

I think I have a good grasp on how to improve your red line, so would be very keen to work alongisde you and help you improve that. Maybe post a positional screenshot so we can look for immediate leaks?

Game theory is very interesting, at smaller stakes it doesn't matter as much, however if you build your game AROUND game theory, then you will have a very good/solid game and when you move up the limits you will be able to play unexploitably against the very good regs, who a lot of people struggle against.

Reagrding your game plan, we can probably look into that with your stats too :)
    • mko101
      mko101
      Bronze
      Forgot to add that pleno is my idol because he's the nicest guy you will ever come across in the poker community.

Just a quick answer before I leave:

Originally posted by pleno1
      One thing I'd like to ask you about is how do you feel about having more money than your friends/peers. Do you like the fact you appear balla and doing well or uncomfortable about it?
      I think you have mistaken me for someone else because I'm nowhere near a balla.
      But no, I do not feel superior in any way or feel good about myself because I make more than my friends working for much less, when they are told to. I was raised only by mom who was trying to provide the best living conditions she could, for me and my sister, and I learned to respect everything I get, everything I have.

I don't spend money on balla things, I'd rather buy myself and my girlfriend concert tickets or some trip tickets. Also, nobody knows what I do for a living (besides closest family and girlfriend) and nobody knows how much I make, I don't feel a need to brag or any of those things.

Will definitely post stats etc. later!
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      bookmarked. have similar problems, will be interesting to follow.
      Good luck with bootcamp!
    • mko101
      mko101
      Bronze
      Promised positional stats (very detailed because one day I worked with A. Jackson's extensive DB analysis and they just stayed there):

And about somewhat low button winrate - it's due to February's badrun - compare to these January stats:

Some notes: My check/raise always used to be higher (around 10-15%) but I was experimenting a lot with calling more in the blinds and then check/calling flops when I'm rather ahead instead of just wasting my equity and turning my hand into a bluff. It's kind of a range visualization, but by doing it, I think I gave up a little on check/raising the worse parts of my range (and I'd fold the worst so my check/folding range expanded a little, including worse hands that I could have c/r for bluff).

Low MP/CO 3bet - just not paying enough attention during the game (lack of focus problem). Definitely working on it.

Also, wanted to increase my squeezing a bit.

EDIT2: These include HU as well as I start a lot of tables to get action going. Without HU, my winrate is about 6.8bb/100 and blinds -14bb/100 and -19bb/100 (LOL #HUFISH)
    • BrokesoBroke
      BrokesoBroke
      Black
      *jealous*

Would love to have those blinds winrates! :)
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      Originally posted by mko101very detailed because one day I worked with A. Jackson's extensive DB analysis
      whats that? never heard of them would be interested.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze

Hey there mko101!

I see that Erik is too scared to talk to you so far :D . Perhaps he doesn't like rainbows :( . But don't worry, I'm here to help you out as well ;) .

I'd like to help you with your focus problems :) .

But before we get to that, I think it'll benefit you a lot if you take a look at these browser addons which can help you limit the time spent on certain websites:

Ok, now onwards to your focus problems!

As your mind is constantly drifting away, perhaps getting everything out of your head and into some organizing system out of your help could help you a loooot!

What I would recommend you to do is take a look at one of these two books:
      • Eat that frog (a more basic, short book, quickly applicable)
      • Getting things done (a more thorough book, takes some time to get through, but it's amazing for really clearing your head)

The basic idea in any case is that you brainstorm every thing that you want/might want to/need to do or remember, and put it out of your head, on paper or in your PC. Then the next steps are to organize those things using some lists/an organizing system.

Let me know what you think!

-Primož
    • mko101
      mko101
      Bronze
      Schnitzelfisch, I hoped you'd help me out a little here! I loved your videos (didn't manage to watch all of them yet), but I think I'm pretty bad with organizing my days and time too.

I already have StayFocused and I also have Cold Turkey (software) that blocks out any website you want and it won't let you acces it for X hours on any browser.

Can I take a look at both of these books? :D
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Biggest pot of 2013 so far? (BB's is fine :) )
    • mko101
      mko101
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Biggest pot of 2013 so far? (BB's is fine :) )
      310bb (NL100) and 430bb (NL50) - won both

PS. Nice way of asking irrelevant questions to postpone a much more demanding work hah. No offense, I know you have lots of work with other threads.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      pft I want hand histories!

edit: or it didnt happen obv.
    • mko101
      mko101
      Bronze
      1)

$0.50/$1 No Limit Holdem
      6 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($31.30) 31bb
      UTG+1 ($100.28) 100bb
      CO ($100) 100bb
      Hero (BTN) ($100) 100bb
      SB ($100) 100bb
      BB ($99.45) 99bb

Pre-Flop: ($1.50, 6 players) Hero is BTN 4:diamond: 5:diamond:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $1, CO raises to $4, Hero calls $4, SB calls $3.50, BB raises to $7, UTG+1 calls $6, CO calls $3, Hero calls $3, SB calls $3

Flop: 9:diamond: 4:heart: 5:spade: ($35, 5 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $38, UTG+1 goes all-in $93.28, 1 fold, Hero goes all-in $93, SB folds, BB goes all-in $54.45

Turn: 4:club: ($313.45, 3 players, 3 all-in)

River: 2:club: ($313.45, 3 players, 3 all-in)

Final Pot: $313.45
      BB shows
      A:spade: 6:club:
      Hero shows
      4:diamond: 5:diamond:
      UTG+1 shows
      6:heart: 7:heart:

Hero wins $310.45 (net +$210.45)

UTG+1 collects $0.56 (net -$99.72)
      BB lost $99.45
      CO lost $7
      SB lost $7

2) Super non-std non-cooler

$0.25/$0.50 No Limit Holdem
      6 Players

Stacks:
      Hero (UTG) ($113.54) 227bb
      UTG+1 ($79.53) 159bb
      CO ($50) 100bb
      BTN ($105.39) 211bb
      SB ($117.34) 235bb
      BB ($75.03) 150bb

Pre-Flop: ($1.25, 6 players) Hero is UTG A:heart: A:diamond:
      [CO posts $0.50]
      Hero raises to $1.50, 1 fold, CO calls $1, BTN calls $1.50, SB raises to $10, 1 fold, Hero raises to $25, CO folds, BTN folds, SB goes all-in $107.34, Hero goes all-in $88.54

Flop: 9:club: 3:club: 2:spade: ($230.58, 2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: 7:spade: ($230.58, 2 players, 2 all-in)

River: 3:diamond: ($230.58, 2 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: $230.58
      Hero shows
      A:heart: A:diamond:
      SB shows
      K:club: K:spade:

Hero wins $227.58 (net +$114.04)

SB collects $7.60 (net -$109.74)
      BTN lost $1.50
      CO lost $1.50
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mko101
      Schnitzelfisch, I hoped you'd help me out a little here! I loved your videos (didn't manage to watch all of them yet), but I think I'm pretty bad with organizing my days and time too.

I already have StayFocused and I also have Cold Turkey (software) that blocks out any website you want and it won't let you acces it for X hours on any browser.

Can I take a look at both of these books? :D
      :s_thumbsup: !

Yep of course, you can take a look at both books, although I think It'd still be better to go through Eat that frog first :) .

Good luck, let me know if anything is unclear in the books!

-Primož
    • mko101
      mko101
      Bronze
      Already got it on my Kindle :)

I don't know what's happening to me lately but I've been spazzing like a wild monkey. Gonna try to calm down and make some moneyz for a change.
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      show hh?
    • mko101
      mko101
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BC1989RF
      show hh?
      Too embarrased..

Golden hand of the shitty weekend. Really no clue who played it worse.

$0.25/$0.50 No Limit Holdem

Stacks:
      UTG ($55.15) 110bb
      UTG+1 ($35.90) 72bb
      CO ($54.33) 109bb
      Hero (BTN) ($50) 100bb
      SB ($42.33) 85bb
      BB ($52.50) 105bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Hero is BTN 2:diamond: 2:heart:
      1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $1.50, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.50, 1 fold, BB calls $1

Flop: K:spade: J:diamond: 3:heart: ($4.75, 3 players)
      BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $2.50, BB raises to $6.50, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to $12.55, BB raises to $20, Hero calls $7.45

Turn: 7:heart: ($44.75, 2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $8.50, BB calls $8.50

River: 6:club: ($61.75, 2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Final Pot: $61.75
      Hero shows
      2:diamond: 2:heart:
      BB shows
      Q:spade: J:club:

BB wins $58.75 (net +$28.75)

Hero lost $30
      UTG+1 lost $1.50
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      ahahah sick hand!
      if BB is a reg I would jam turn - who 4bet the flop with 33 ffs :P
    • mko101
      mko101
      Bronze
      When i have nuts, I always bet tiny in that spot, one to make them spazz, two, to fold them out of air when i have a bluff myself. When I have the nuts, they always fold though.
    • mko101
      mko101
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Good luck, let me know if anything is unclear in the books!

-Primož
      So I'm 1/3 into the book. I like it, it will take a lot of self-discipline to implement all those techniques, goals and stuff.

The only thing I don't like about it so far it that it focuses so much about planning (maybe not so much but quite a bit). As I'm very young, I like living my days spontaneously. Meaning, I don't want to have every day, every week planned out to hours and minutes because I'd feel like a robot, like a machine just fulfilling certain tasks.
      I'm a human being, I do whatever I feel like. Maybe I feel like talking a walk or I feel like dropping everything and just taking a day off of everything.

It doesn't necessarily stop me from planning work-wise, meaning I can still plan what I want to do in poker, certain amount of session reviews, cr-ev calc and stuff.

And I also didn't read much about focus and concentration much. And that's my biggest problem.

Besides, I decided I want to start jogging in the morning. I stopped exercising a while ago. I love eating healthy and I usually do eat very healthy so that makes up for it a little. But a nice morning run won't hurt.