Road to BM

• DeanD
      DeanD
      Coach
      Coach
      Hi Guys,

I am Dean. I am a hand judge and a coach in the Bulgarian community in the low limits. I am a diamond myslef for the last 14 months (brag :] ) Playing SH-FR up to NL100 (and some 200) 40-45k hands a month. I go to work together with poker.

In the begining of last year I decided to start the real grind (had to switch from FR to SH which was quite a painful process) and to not miss the diamond status till the end of 2012 (gemstones promo). Now extended to the end of 2013. Main purpose - safe money to buy an accomodation untill the end of 2013 (not sure if thats an appropriate goal related to poker). These goals led to some positive and to some negative results:

+ Improved my time management skills;
      + Learned to play longer and more focused sessions;
      + Good rake back amounts;
      + Already half way through :s_smile:

- One or max 2 days off monthly (+ once in 2-3 months - travelling for a few extra days)
      - Sacrifice social life (to which used to be addicted)
      - Sometimes must play while I do not really want it - lack of motivation.

Will be happy if any advices come up as my story probably does not sound very standard :f_love:

Poker is Great :s_pleased:

What I expect from bootcamp:
      -Meet new people;
      -Improve mental game;
      -Improve poker thought process and the game.

Regards,
      Dean
  • 29 replies
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Good Luck Dean! :s_love:
    • DeanD
      DeanD
      Coach
      Coach
      Thanks Kamen!

Though I had a pretty bad run during the second half of February, definitely what looks like a big leak is the non showdown winnings line - a common issues :s_o:

Not really happy of my game last month.. And here is my stats in February

Looks like:

-I have been a little nitty
      -I could c-bet flop a bit more;
      -3-bet more from late position
      -Open raise more from MP,CO,BU :D
      -And I guess I could float more in position
      -I defended vs 3bet maybe more than I should have

A few important things I need to work on :]

Open for any suggestions/ideas

br,
      Dean
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there DeanD,

When I read your opening post, my thought was "if you want more social life, then why not move up the limits :) ?", but I see that you have figured out that yourself already :s_cool: !

I think that sufficient recovery (and socializing is a great form of that) is extremely important if you want to perform optimally at poker, so some social life might not even be that bad (in moderation ofc. :) ).

May I ask what your usual day looks like? We might be able to find some parts of the day which we could optimize and enable you to spend more time on socializing :) .

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

-Primož
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Non show down winnings are a clear problem for so many people, I'm of the "red line junkies" belief that we should all aspire for a profitable red line.

20/16 just seems too nitty IMO,you are likely passing up on too many +ev 3bet spots or steals vs weak opponents, do you simply stay with your ranges, or adjust them according to your opponents weaknesses and tendancies? It is often a trouble for players who play more than 6 tables.

Your 3bet from the cut off and button is way way too low.

I also think your fold vs cbet is a bit too high, I would prefer you to be closer to 50%, could you do the stats filter for facing a flop cbet, how often you call/raise/fold?
    • DeanD
      DeanD
      Coach
      Coach
      Hi Schnitzelfisch,

Glad to see you around my thread :s_love:

I think that sufficient recovery (and socializing is a great form of that) is extremely important if you want to perform optimally at poker, so some social life might not even be that bad (in moderation ofc. :) ).
      What I don't miss is online social life (business communications at work + skype/forum discussions with PokerStrategy.com members/staff daily) but I am not sure that fully compensates what eye-to-eye contact can give you in order to feel happy.

May I ask what your usual day looks like? We might be able to find some parts of the day which we could optimize and enable you to spend more time on socializing :) .

Weekdays

- Wake up at 07:00 (have a coffee + a 1h session). Days that I play later in the evening (when good games available) and feel not that fresh when go to bed => skip next morning session and sleep till 07:40. (Poker room traffic adjustment)

- 09:00 start at work (about 40-50mins travelling to office either by car or public transport)
      - Having a fast breakfast - which is not set and I eat either at work or with coffee - I know that will piss you a bit :s_biggrin: /I am a coffee lover and that affects my desire to have a breakfast regularly/.
      - 13:00 have lunch
      - 15:00 finish work, and 15:45-16:00 come back home.
      - 16:00-17:30/18:00 relax and time with my gf.
      - Then I make 2 sessions (around 4 hours both) - with a dinner in between. And that goes to around 23:00-23:30. (Fridays stay and play later - after midnight).

There are some days I play only one session and have a dinner out with my girlfriend/do some other things(like coachings) - but not very often maybe 1 day a week on total.

Weekends

- Try to sleep until 09:30 (in order to stay and chase good games on Saturday night)
      - Go out, shopping or something, have lunch.
      - Start 3 sessions around 13:00-15:00 depends on the traffic and finish around midnight or later - depends on how much energy has left.

There are always some adjustments I need to make but basically this is how it looks like most often.

Happy to do the improvement =)

Edit: Sport is what I desperately need & am going to implement in my daily norm - running. Plan to put it somewhere around 16:00 when I get back from work and make it 2-3 days a week.

Regards,
      Dean
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again!

That's a pretty interesting schedule :) . I understand it can be pretty busy if you want to have a day job + play poker professionally.

A couple of thoughts:

-Do you eat the lunch alone? Could you socialize during the lunch?
      -Could you go out with your GF and meet some friends for coffee etc. between 16.00-18.00?
      -Could you go out with friends to dinner? (you get the trend by now :D )
      -Do you have a friend who also likes to go jogging? Could you do it together with him perhaps?
      -Weekend lunches are again opportunities for socializing :) .

Regarding the "online social life", i don't think it's the same, because even though it can be inspiring sometimes, it usually actually drains your energy, as you're doing it in front of a computer screen. By the way, when do you actually find the time to do this (chat on skype)? I hope it's not during the sessions :D .

Jogging sounds like a great idea! I would however recommend you to jog daily instead of 2-3 times a week, simply because it's easier to get used to it and form a habit out of it. Perhaps start with a lower amount of jogging, like 15-20min/day? (so that you aren't too tired after a couple of days).

Let me know what you think!

-Primož
    • DeanD
      DeanD
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey guys,

@Patrick, Thanks for your post!

I know red line is usually what's hard for most people but mine is quiet bad at this point. Needs a lot of work.

Yeah I do have a preflop ranges that adjust and usually are a little wider. I guess sometimes when running bad I tight them up unconsiously - due to lack of confidence or something.
      I also think your fold vs cbet is a bit too high, I would prefer you to be closer to 50%, could you do the stats filter for facing a flop cbet, how often you call/raise/fold?

Thats for about 31k hands and its filtered excluding the FRs hands.

@Primoz, great help mate! I guess I can really push on optimizing daily programme and game improvement /moving up limits/ and then when reduce grind time I could start thinking about the socializing.
      First step should really be sport and disciplined eating (start having proper breakfast), reduce/quit coffee and start feeling like a sir.
      I got out jogging this morning (only 5-6 mins as for a first time) - decided that to do it in the mornings instead of afternoons - for value. And yes, I would do it every morning instead of 2-3 times.
      Had only half my amount of coffee + some breakfast. Now only left to turn it into a habit :s_biggrin:

I don't really want to become a slave of healthy eating but what I need is well structured - breakfast (eggs, chicken meat, fresh fruits or nuts maybe), lunch (keep on more chicken/fish + some salads) and dinner (mostly chicken and beaf - some pork but not much). Well I do really eat a lot of meat, now i see :D ... Excluding white staff, without eating junk foods and much sweats. Having a glass of red wine with dinner sounds alright.

How about that?

Regards,
      Dean
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

How was the weekend? Crush much?

Stats actually look fine, it says 50% fold to cbet, so me gusta :)
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

it's awesome to see such an awesome attitude :) !. I like your plans, let me know how they go.

your nutrition plan seems great (meat is awesome imo), and I don't think it's a big deal if you eat some non-healthy food or drink some wine from time to time, especially if you needn't be productive at that specific moment ;) .

Keep it up!

-Primož
    • DeanD
      DeanD
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey guys,

@Patrick, great! Weekend was not very volume heavy.
      Stats actually look fine, it says 50% fold to cbet, so me gusta :)

Well thats only when faced CB IP, I am afraid. I made the filters as you suggested and those are all the flop vs cbet moves in and out of position. :f_love:

Cool Primoz, I will keep you up to date. Also if you have any extra advises I will be happy to hear it.. :s_love:

Regards,
      Dean
    • bartjuh
      bartjuh
      Bronze
      Hi Dean GL this month with the bootcamp!

What I can see from your stats is that you struggle to play OOP without initiative. (64% fold overall and 80% utg where you called a 3bet.) I think this is pretty difficult also, because our ranges are capped a lot here and Opp. still has all monsters.
      However it is good to bluf a bit more here I think especially vs wide ranges from CO / BTN.
      Maybe look for fold vs raise cbet stat to find good spots. And board textures that hit your range hard.
      And what you already said, fold a bit more vs 3bets, especially if you play fit or fold. You can also call some monsters so your range is a bit stronger on the flop. Let them hang them self if they barrel a lot.
      And maybe 4bet bluf more instead of calling. You should get some respect if you do that utg! (look for wide 3bet vs your position and fold vs 4bet stats here)

Anyway maybe a coach can give some more comments about this, because it is just a hard situation to play I think
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

one more piece of advice, which I recommend to do to every single person who reads this post. Write a vision and mission statement! It's the ultimate motivational tool, and will enable you to set goals which will actually get you where you want to go ;) .

If you want to do it only for poker, look at [url=http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?postid=1313633#post1313633]this post[/URL].

If you want to get ahead and optimize your life completely, make sure to read the first chapter of my productivity guide and make a vision & mission for all the areas of your life :) .

-Primož
    • oblioo
      oblioo
      Coach
      Coach
      I tend to think fold to flop cbet should be closer to around 40%, especially at lower stakes when people are cbetting too often. So I'd say you should be both floating and bluff-raising a lot more often. And I know you mentioned you should cbet the flop more often yourself, which is true, and it's also important to cbet the turn more often. And 3bet more often from every position. And don't cold-call so much from MP and CO (especially MP). Basically, be more aggressive!

Of course this is all very general advice, and understanding specific spots and reasons for all these things are vital ;)
    • DeanD
      DeanD
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by bartjuh
      Hi Dean GL this month with the bootcamp!

What I can see from your stats is that you struggle to play OOP without initiative. (64% fold overall and 80% utg where you called a 3bet.) I think this is pretty difficult also, because our ranges are capped a lot here and Opp. still has all monsters.
      However it is good to bluf a bit more here I think especially vs wide ranges from CO / BTN.
      Maybe look for fold vs raise cbet stat to find good spots. And board textures that hit your range hard.
      And what you already said, fold a bit more vs 3bets, especially if you play fit or fold. You can also call some monsters so your range is a bit stronger on the flop. Let them hang them self if they barrel a lot.
      And maybe 4bet bluf more instead of calling. You should get some respect if you do that utg! (look for wide 3bet vs your position and fold vs 4bet stats here)

Anyway maybe a coach can give some more comments about this, because it is just a hard situation to play I think
      Hello bartjuh,

Thanks for reviewing my stats and your post.
      Yes, seems like i do struggle OOP and I do not win too much out of EP. The major winrate leak comes from now winning quiete enough from late pos though.

Last night was a great Bootcamp livecoaching by pleno1 - UTG range review.. I really cant wait to try the changes I will make from this position.

@oblioo - good to see you in my soldier's thread! Let's make some mashines :s_cool:
      you should cbet the flop more often yourself, which is true, and it's also important to cbet the turn more often.

For a larger sample I usually cbet around 60% flop and a little over 40% turn.. both needs to go way higher? How should they spread in and out of position?
      Of course this is all very general advice, and understanding specific spots and reasons for all these things are vital ;)

Great said. I can't wait to do so.. :s_love:

@Primoz, your productivity thread is a great help for players who understand how important all this is for results in poker.
      If you want to do it only for poker, look at this post.
      Do you mean some specific post?

Regards,
      Dean
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global

1.-Improve mental game;
      2.-Improve poker thought process and the game.
      Hey Dean!

1.Can you be specific on what parts of the mental game you would like to focus on? Try to isolate the one or two biggest leaks, it's good to be specific and keep it simple....

2. Are you talking about you approach to the game on larger scale or in game lose of focus and so on?

Happy to help if I can!

Cheers!
    • DeanD
      DeanD
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by ErikStenqvist
      1.Can you be specific on what parts of the mental game you would like to focus on? Try to isolate the one or two biggest leaks, it's good to be specific and keep it simple....

2. Are you talking about you approach to the game on larger scale or in game lose of focus and so on?
      สวัสดี Erik :pokerface: ,

Major mental leaks I would describe:

- Result thinking;
      :diamond: Checking bankroll after each session
      :diamond: Checking graphs very often
      :diamond: During a session thinking about how ahead/behind I am in the current session.

- Results reflect to my life/mood out of tables.

- I kind of assume (subconsciously) that daily/session results make my day successful/unsuccessful - Need to turn feeling more happy of playing good rather than variation dependent.

- Running bad for long time (lets say 10-15k hands in a row, sometimes less) reflects to my confidence when making desicions.

Problems look common, and I think they are all related but def need some hard work to remove.
      Happy to hear your comments/suggestions.

Regards,
      Dean
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      - Result thinking;
      :diamond: Checking bankroll after each session
      :diamond: Checking graphs very often
      :diamond: During a session thinking about how ahead/behind I am in the current session.
      Hello again!

Do you sit down with specific session goals when you play?
    • DeanD
      DeanD
      Coach
      Coach
      Hi,

No, this I do not plan. Sometimes rake/hands/time I put as a goal but never money goals.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

copy paste mistake ;) . I meant this post for poker vision & mission, fixed the original link as well :) .

-Primož