GrindJ Bootcamp Blog

• GrindJ
      GrindJ
      Bronze
      Hi!

I'm grinder from Finland. I have played poker professionally for last 3 years (Break off from university students). My main games are nl200-nl400 (last year 90% of volume was at ongame). I want to put more volume on others sites at this year, because ongame is so dead nowadays.

I have only played nl 100 and nl 200 at ongame, party, ipoker, microgaming and pokerstars at this year (because I bought a house). My idea is to play 50k hands both stakes before starting again regular games at nl400-600 (if I'm happy to my gameplan).

I'm a bankroll nit. 100bin/level. I should maybe loosen this a bit?

It's difficult to change my game to these days requirements so I have slowly tryed to make needed changes. I've especially tryed to focus my blind play. I think my sb preflop game has improved, but bb game is really tricky and difficult.

My redline has always went down and this is my biggest leak which I want to improve; turning hands into bluff, playing against 3bets, floating ect... I have also tryed to learn some GTO stuff from other trainingsite.

I'm not sure if I should play zoom poker or not, because imo problem is that there isn't enough time to think and take notes.

Other issues are mental game: fearing losing strikes and quitting too fast when winning, playing autopilot and too many tables. I have sometimes anger and ego issues while playing. Winning doesn't feel so good and losing feel really bad. Losing at mondays and tuesdays :rolleyes: I bought Mental Game of poker, but haven't read it yet.

My goal is to become better player and beat mid/high stakes with solid winrate. I hope this Bootcamp will improve my overall gameplan and beating regs.

Thank you all for this opportinity! :heart:

(Sorry for broken english)

Last year by stakes:

Showdown winnings:

Overall stats last year:

This year overall stats:

• 14 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there, GrindJ!

I can see that you've already bought the mental game of poker, which could help you a lot with many of your problems :) .

Do you have problems with getting yourself to read the book?

If so, you needn't tell yourself that you should read everything in one piece (which will just result in you not even starting to read it). You can break the problem down into smaller pieces and gradually progress through them.

You can try using some of the time windows in your day for reading the book - for example you can read it while you're on the toilet/in the bath, or carry it around with you at all times and read it while you're waiting for someone.

Another thing that you can do is to just commit to reading it daily for at least 15 minutes a day, preferably the first thing in the morning (so that you don't procrastinate it).

Let me know how it goes!

-Primož
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global

I'm a bankroll nit. 100bin/level. I should maybe loosen this a bit?

It's difficult to change my game to these days requirements so I have slowly tryed to make needed changes. I've especially tryed to focus my blind play. I think my sb preflop game has improved, but bb game is really tricky and difficult.

My redline has always went down and this is my biggest leak which I want to improve;

Other issues are mental game: fearing losing strikes and quitting too fast when winning, playing autopilot and too many tables. I have sometimes anger and ego issues while playing. Winning doesn't feel so good and losing feel really bad. Losing at mondays and tuesdays :rolleyes: I bought Mental Game of poker, but haven't read it yet.
      Hey GrindJ!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions you can just post them here and let me know in my Q&A thread if i take too long to reply. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so i don't miss anything. :)

It seems like you take a slightly more passive approach to the game. Since you play as high as you do there is probably not much wrong with your poker strategy. One great way to overcome this is to put a lot of time into making your weakness into your strength. Look at what spots when you play for example that make you uncomfortable. Then you look at what you feel are your biggest issue in game and you put all your effort into correcting that.

If you like we canconstruct a moving/moving down strategy thet works for you but that also pushes your limits a bit? So that you get to actively put yourself into situation you might avoid otherwise.

How does that sound?

Cheers!
    • GrindJ
      GrindJ
      Bronze
      That sounds good idea Schnitzelfish, thanks! It feels like school book :D

I filtered my last year Position winnings (bb/100):

btn: 33.37
      co: 12,18
      mp: 15,83
      ep: 14,71

BB: -32,35
      SB: -16,77

This year (only 40k hands):

btn: 50,03
      Co: 16,21
      Mp: 7.85
      Ep: 16,21

BB: -43,26
      Sb: -6.78

So it seems like I have problems with Co play. My opening range was something like 26% last year. It's very difficult to play that position if reg have position me and 3bets 7-12% of hands and cold calls 10-20%. I have tryed to lower my cold call range if there are squeezers behind me.

I should also make more money at button. Raise more nitty blinds ect. Average when raise first was 53%:

This month I'm going to try this kind of preflopstrategy:

*Raise first %:: ep 15-17, mp 17-21, co 25-30, btn 60-100%, sb 30%-40% bb

*Cold call %: Mp 3-6 co 6 btn 10-15 sb 0-3% bb 14-23

*3bet %: Mp 0-3 co 5-7% btn 6-11% sb 10-16% bb 10-14%
    • GrindJ
      GrindJ
      Bronze
      Hi, Erik, I'm interested in that moving strategy, thanks!

"If you like we canconstruct a moving/moving down strategy thet works for you but that also pushes your limits a bit? So that you get to actively put yourself into situation you might avoid otherwise.How does that sound?"
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by GrindJ
      Hi, Erik, I'm interested in that moving strategy, thanks!

"If you like we canconstruct a moving/moving down strategy thet works for you but that also pushes your limits a bit? So that you get to actively put yourself into situation you might avoid otherwise.How does that sound?"
      Ok so what would you say is you current strategy. Even if you don't have one then what usually ends up happening? When do you decide to give it a try etc?
      What would be a very uncomfortable strategy for you to use?

We want to find the right balance here so anything you can fill me in on would be great :)

Email: Info@ErikStenqvist.com[/quote]
    • GrindJ
      GrindJ
      Bronze
      Uncomfort level is probably less than 50 buyins. I can't make moves and play fearless. Usually I drop level if I loose 10 buyin to 40 or something. That was my strategy when I started professionally.

I don't know why I haven't played regularly Nl1k because I have been rolled for that. I thought that I'm not ready that level even though there is a huge fish and some regs play same stakes with me. I wasn't ready to handle upcoming variance.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by GrindJ
      Uncomfort level is probably less than 50 buyins. I can't make moves and play fearless. Usually I drop level if I loose 10 buyin to 40 or something. That was my strategy when I started professionally.

I don't know why I haven't played regularly Nl1k because I have been rolled for that. I thought that I'm not ready that level even though there is a huge fish and some regs play same stakes with me. I wasn't ready to handle upcoming variance.
      Well it sound like you might be hesitant with facing the potential swings, variance and better players etc. But the only way you will get comfortable is to deliberate in uncomfortable situation so you get sued to being there, then gradually the uncomfortable feeling will start to subside. But you have to do it actively.

I would set the moving up/moving down at 5 buyins. Then you don't have to move down and feel you have to grind a ton before you can give it another shot. You also get the benefit of being able to practice moving effortlessly between stakes. I would start taking shots with 70 buyins for the lower limit. Then you take 10 of those buyins ( or 5 for the higher limit above) and take a shot at the higher limit. This way you are always rolled (60bi) with comfort at the lower stakes, so if you have to move down there is no extra pressure.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."

:)
    • GrindJ
      GrindJ
      Bronze
      Thanks Erik, sounds good. I'm going to try that strategy in the future.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      My pleasure.

Keep me updated on how it works, we might want to calibrate or add in other tools as well. But it's better to keep it simple in the beginning. Also, if you have any of your own ideas on things you would like to implement just drop me a line... :)

Cheers! Keep at it!
    • GrindJ
      GrindJ
      Bronze
      Hi,

I kind of tested that bankroll strategy. I couldn't play ipoker, because there was some bug as always so I deposited 640 dollar to Pokerstars (deposit limits are weird) and started grinding nl100 zoom :] Btw, I hate ipoker zoom because there is no time bank so I have played pound tables there which are like nl150 dollars.

I think I'm gonna move my whole pokerbankroll to stars, and start playing nl200 there (currently 60 buyins). So 10 more buyins at nl200 and I'm gonna try my main game again: nl400 - I feel confident.

I really like pokerstars and I'm going to get that supernova status this year and next year maybe supernova elite status if my gameplan is enough good to nl500 zoom & Nl1k. It's also nice to have normal working day 8-16, because there is always action.

My redline haven't improved much, because there are lot of calling stations.
      There is my hud layot and stats from nl100 zoom at this month (feel free to comment):

I have also tryed to not check my session winnings/losses every 5min, but its very difficult to change habits.

Waiting next seminar... :heart:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi GrindJ, Ihope we find you well?

Just a note to suggest you try to find time to update your thread, I can see you are quite busy, that's ok. :)

How are the seminars going for you by the way? Post your thoughts. :)

Have fun,

Mal.
    • GrindJ
      GrindJ
      Bronze
      Hi gadget51 I'm okey, thanks for asking! I've been running good and also played pretty good.

I've played this month maybe 2-3h/day but studied like 6-8h poker. I found massive leak on my last year database. CO playing: Playing against 3bets. AQs, was my biggest losing hand. Every other positions my 3bet calling strategy was working - especially on the btn tough my red was down a ton.

Yesterdays seminar was also helpful. Since yesterday I have been building ranges different flops ect.

Rolled for nl400 now, but I have to improve my cutoff play first to become better soldier :s_cool:

• Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

how is your book reading going? Is it any better than before? Did you stumble upon any problems?

-Primož
    • GrindJ
      GrindJ
      Bronze
      Hi Schnitzelfisch, I haven't read it yet :rolleyes: I've focused to gametheory this month. But I will read it when I have enough time. I don't like to read workstuff before sleeping, but maybe I should read it at toilet or something :D