tMHs - improving

• tMHs
      tMHs
      Platinum
      Hi there! My name is Tim and im from germany.

I´m playing poker for like 3 years or so and I think I´ve improved a lot, especially during the last moths because of being really motivated and taking coachings, making theorie and so on. At the moment I´m generally not too motivated, but since this bootcamp-opportunity is given I figured it´s not time to rest.

I mostly play nl200 and for like 2 weeks in which I haven´t played much prefering nl400. I think my postflop game is kind of weak, especially good regs do float me a lot and raise my cbets on boards where it doesnt make too much sense but I often end up folding because my hand seems to weak to me or so. So that was just an example, there for sure is a lot more to do.

After the bootcamp I hope to improve in those spots and feel more comfortable playing postflop in general, since this is where a lot of money is won. One can also see that weakness in my graph 2.

graph1:

graph2:
  • 18 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Tim,

Thanks for popping over to the dark side :D

A post flop blog is definitely down to my liking <3

Nice 1st blog, however the 2nd shows we really have a lot of work to do on your red line.

You said that good regulars are floating with you and you are struggling. This will generally be hard to counter, but perhaps the problem is that you aren't doing to them what they are doing to you?

Perhaps your f2cb is too high, could you share it with us?

Thanks
      Patrick
    • tMHs
      tMHs
      Platinum
      Hey Patrick, thank you for replying!

So my F2 cBet on Flop,Turn,R are: 43/34/40. So from my point of view it´s not too high. My cBet stats on the other hand are 70/54/51 on Fl/Tu/Riv.

I defend SB like 21 and BB like 30%. Any other stats, that might be interesting?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

That seems ok, although on the flop, maybe you are being a little bit stubborn :)

Cbet stats look good as well.

Tomorrow I will do a live seminar that you can tune in to about constructing ranges, maybe you can get something out of it.

Seminar 5/3/2013 - Constructing Ranges
    • tMHs
      tMHs
      Platinum
      I´m afraid I can´t be there :( Hope you record it!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Tim, hope you ar enjoying the course so far. :)

Here is the link for the seminar recording for you. Enjoy!

http://de.twitch.tv/pokerstrategy_english/b/374179159

Regards,

Mal.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Hello Tim!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching.

I noticed you didn't mention anything about the emotional and tilt side of the game. Do you feel you are generally doing well in this department?

Any questions or issues just send them my way and I'd be happy to help!

Don't forget to check out Schnitzelfischs thread on Productivity Learning and Structure if you haven't already!

Cheers!
    • tMHs
      tMHs
      Platinum
      Hey Erik!

Indeed im struggeling a bit emotionally by having motivation problems :/ At the moment I kinda have to force myself into playing which leads to b-game etc.
      Hence I obviously havent played much, only like 3k hands with negative results. Dont really know what to do about that. Maybe it´s important to add, that my lack of motivation only bothers poker. So no rl-problems :) rly enjoying the internship etc.

regards
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by tMHs
      Hey Erik!

Indeed im struggeling a bit emotionally by having motivation problems :/ At the moment I kinda have to force myself into playing which leads to b-game etc.
      Hence I obviously havent played much, only like 3k hands with negative results. Dont really know what to do about that. Maybe it´s important to add, that my lack of motivation only bothers poker. So no rl-problems :) rly enjoying the internship etc.

regards
      Hello again Tim!

It's really funny that we often struggle with motivation and have to force ourselves to play sometimes/often. But there is actually a logical reason to why that is. And if we aren't aware of that logical reason it just adds more confusion and so on.

Since you don't struggle with motivation in other areas of your life. Here is a question to make you think about why you have to force yourself to play poker. Try to think about it in broader terms so to say...

What is fundamentally different about the situation that we are in when we play poker from most other aspects of "regular life" and what could logically affect us the way it does?

Let's just see what you com up with and we'll take it from there. Looking forward to you answer :)
    • tMHs
      tMHs
      Platinum
      I guess it´s pressure not to only keep Supernova, but also to reach this years goals in terms of milestones etc. I often catch myself playing without passion cause I´d rather hang out with my gf, friends or play some computergames.

Than it´s like a vicious circle: no passion -> bad play -> bad results
      Also variance feels to hurt more which also makes me lose passion leading to the above-mentioned.

Do you have any pratical advice? Especially bc I like the concept of this bootcamp and initially planned to put more effort into poker but atm I´m not rly feeling like a solider :/
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      I guess it´s pressure not to only keep Supernova, but also to reach this years goals in terms of milestones etc. I often catch myself playing without passion cause I´d rather hang out with my gf, friends or play some computergames.

Than it´s like a vicious circle: no passion -> bad play -> bad results
      Also variance feels to hurt more which also makes me lose passion leading to the above-mentioned.

Do you have any pratical advice? Especially bc I like the concept of this bootcamp and initially planned to put more effort into poker but atm I´m not rly feeling like a solider :/
      1.Ok so tell how you approach a session and what an average session looks like when it comes to the structure and approach. Time of day, length of session and breaks warm-up and post session routine etc

2.What is your emotional state like? Hesitation to grind, Tilt and motivation for example

3. How do you approach learning and improving when it comes to poker? Structure, what concepts etc.

:)
    • tMHs
      tMHs
      Platinum
      Hey Erik :)

1. I make sure not to get distracted by turning off TV etc. I also dont start a session if I got less than an hour time to play.
      I mostly just play when I have time. I dont really check if tables are fine but I also dont play a table with only good regs. My session lasts until I think it´s time to stop. Mostly I come home from university, eat, do necessary chores etc. Sometimes I play some computergame if I feel like and than play until my gf comes to visit me for dinner or stuff at like 7pm. On the weekend I mostly play at night until I think like 5,6am.
      So I dont do breaks bc I think it costs me time to play and therfore money. Only break I do is like when I play 2 sessions a day eg afternoon an evening.
      Post session routine? Hmm dont really think so. Or dont know what it means. I sometimes post some hands at skype, but I guess that falls under 3.

2. Before this month I was always kind of motivated, so grinding wasnt a bad thing and therefore there was no tilt/hasitation. This month I feel like I rather do other stuff than play poker. Also there´s not as much time as I expected to have for poker. So I feel like "man you have to play to gain some volume...".
      Maybe misunderstood this one.

3. I took some coaching last month. Since my coach was abroad my last session will be tomorrow. Also I did some tables, calculations and I write a lot of things down. Also put a lot of things on the wall behind over my monitors. Got excel scripts for calculation too.
      At this month since motivation lacks I did nothing.

If I misunderstood a Q or wrote unclear feel free to ask. Thanks for your effort, really appreciate it!
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Hey Erik :)

1. My session lasts until I think it´s time to stop.

2.So I dont do breaks bc I think it costs me time to play and therfore money.
      1. How do you decide when it is time to stop? Do you often "have" to stop because you are tired, unmotivated or to protect wins?

2. Do you feel a 2-3 minute effective break would hurt your winrate or improve it?

What is the one thing with your mindset that you would like to improve on first?

Cheers!
    • tMHs
      tMHs
      Platinum
      1. Mostly i play as long as my rl allows it, so I mostly dont stop if someting doesnt interrupt. I sometimes stop because i´m unmotivated. I dont stop to protect wins, i want more.

2. I think it wouldnt help + i´d have to find new tables what would cost time.

I want to have fun again playing poker. When I think of the game I dont want to see it as work(even though it isnt) but as hobby. Because when you like waht you do your better at what you do bc you are more open minded, you wanna learn and stuff. At least thats what i experienced.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      1. Mostly i play as long as my rl allows it, so I mostly dont stop if someting doesnt interrupt. I sometimes stop because i´m unmotivated. I dont stop to protect wins, i want more.

2. I think it wouldnt help + i´d have to find new tables what would cost time.

I want to have fun again playing poker. When I think of the game I dont want to see it as work(even though it isnt) but as hobby. Because when you like waht you do your better at what you do bc you are more open minded, you wanna learn and stuff. At least thats what i experienced.
      1. Sorry, what do you mean by rl? :)

2. So since you don´t have any experience with taking breaks effectively it's hard for you to know if they work or no. You need sampelsize or practicing it. Sitting out for two minutes without losing you seat at the table and being able to reset you brain, have a glass of water, do some mindful pushups and go over your session goals will bring awareness back into your game. You will be able to play longer sessions with higher quality decisions. The only thing that matters is the quality of the break you take. And if you want to keep the game fun for a logn time you need to make every session different. So use session goals.
    • tMHs
      tMHs
      Platinum
      1. rl= real life (meaning apart from the computer)

2. I´ll try that out in long sessions!
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      1. rl= real life (meaning apart from the computer)

2. I´ll try that out in long sessions!
      1. Haha!Can't believe i missed that! I am officially getting old!

2.Try setting alarms every hour and practice taking the breaks then. Write out what you are supposed to do during those breaks so you don't get distracted. Push-ups/Squats, drink water and a bite of an apple or something are all good things. Any own ideas of what might work for you?

Cheers!
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Hey!

Hows poker going?
      Have you tried any of the things we talked about yet?

Cheers!
    • tMHs
      tMHs
      Platinum
      Hi Erik!
      Havent really played since, but i will def. let you know!