Is PLO a good start to grow BR?

• TooSickMan
      TooSickMan
      Basic
      Title is my question,cause i really enjoy omaha and i used to play and had nice results,some nights awesome results,but then..there were nights i promised i would never play it again.But its calling me now!I really love this game :D
  • 17 replies
    • TooSickMan
      TooSickMan
      Basic
      None grinds PLO?Was needing some guidance :(
    • the_typhoon
      the_typhoon
      Bronze
      It depends, how big your bankroll is and, which other poker variations you are able to play. That you sometimes think you are a real looser and sometimes think you crush the limits in PLO, is no surprise for me, because variance is really HUGE in that game. I think 60 buy ins are the minimum. When you want to play PLO5 on Stars you need $300.

I think you should play NLHE till you've got that amount. If your bankroll is below $20 fixed limit hold'em is the best choice. Pokerstrategy doesn't recommend this game any more for beginners, but you will find help here. When you play NLHE with less than 10 stacks, there is alway the risk, you go broke.

Good luck :f_biggrin: t¥ph00n
    • TooSickMan
      TooSickMan
      Basic
      Ive played before,but was only for "fun".And i play poker for 1/2 years,not regularly,only last 6 months ive been playing "seriously"

Ive about 900$ BR,and i wanted to know if i can make it bigger playing PLO on a regular basis,and i believe that PLO can make u live though poker,cause pots are so big there :P
    • the_typhoon
      the_typhoon
      Bronze
      Ok $900 should be enough ;) I recommend PLO5 on Stars. You should play the lowest limit till you are familiar with the game, because even experienced players sometimes misread the board. Play a lot and post a lot of hands in the forum, Ribbo is a very capable coach.

€dit:

You want to live from Omaha? Your bankroll should be really huge, and you must be sure, that you are a strong player. Daniel Negreanu had problems beating PLO600 by the way. It's difficult to make a living with PLO, but not impossible.
    • TooSickMan
      TooSickMan
      Basic
      When i played i played 0.10/0.25 and was doing ok,good days,bad days.

Well,doesnt have to be a living,but some nice cash.Or at least to grow a good BR.And thing is PLO normal pots can buy me alot of regulars buy in.Thats a part of my strategy.Chose a day only for regulars,with a % of the profit of the week(this is if i have profit :D )
    • the_typhoon
      the_typhoon
      Bronze
      PLO25 with $900 is a 36 buy in br management. This is really risky, especially when you don't have a clue what you are doing. But it's your bankroll ;)
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      I basically started out playing PLO2 with my $50. I got a heater and doubled my roll pretty quickly, before breaking even for 15k hands. Then I binked a tourney in which i was freerolling and suddenly I was rolled for PLO4 :f_biggrin:
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      Originally posted by the_typhoon
      Ok $900 should be enough ;) I recommend PLO5 on Stars. You should play the lowest limit till you are familiar with the game, because even experienced players sometimes misread the board. Play a lot and post a lot of hands in the forum, Ribbo is a very capable coach.

€dit:

You want to live from Omaha? Your bankroll should be really huge, and you must be sure, that you are a strong player. Daniel Negreanu had problems beating PLO600 by the way. It's difficult to make a living with PLO, but not impossible.
      Mainly because some big name television pro's are hugely overrated? I bet Hellmuth can't beat nl100 online
    • TooSickMan
      TooSickMan
      Basic
      Originally posted by Riverdiver
      I basically started out playing PLO2 with my $50. I got a heater and doubled my roll pretty quickly, before breaking even for 15k hands. Then I binked a tourney in which i was freerolling and suddenly I was rolled for PLO4 :f_biggrin:
      Its true,maybe ill go for 0.5/0.10

And when i reach 1.5k BR i try some shots,maybe its better
      But there isnt much info here for PLO,neither videos on youtube..maybe experiencie is the only way :)
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      Plenty of room to improve by posting hands i'd say.
    • semmel81
      semmel81
      Bronze
      I recommend the Vids here. For the beginning it´s really important what hands should be easily mucked, or what kind of hands should be 3-bettet or called. At the beginning I never cared of position... it is probably much more important than in Hold´em. Just by watching a bit of a gameflow from a good player, I saw so much mistakes that I made.

But you need at least silver status for the most of the videos here:

A pretty nice guide is that one. Print it and read it:
      http://de.donkr.com/Articles/Category/PLO-from-scratch!-14
    • TooSickMan
      TooSickMan
      Basic
      Thats another problem i have.My account is not related with pokerstrategy,but i really like the account i have :/

As for info,i found a site only focused on PLO strategy and articles.im readind them right now.ANd yes,i agree with the posting hands part,just need Hm2 for it,since i cant convert
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      If you even think about learning PLO and playing it seriously, you need HM2 or PT4. You need to be able to review your stats, hands and sessions.

You have high expectations, but you haven't played a lot of PLO. The variance will hit you sooner or later. Trust me, if you thought that you knew how sick it can be, it will be even more sick. So don't underestimate the power of BRM.

You are already planning to make a living out of PLO, but you don't even know if you are a winning player at all. My suggestion is to start from the smaller stakes (PLO2, PLO5) and see how it goes. Play 50K hands, and if you are winning then go to PLO10 and repeat it. While 50K hands is still a small sample size in PLO, it's bigger than 0.

PLO is a great game, but it's not as easy to master as most of the people think. Be humble and studying will pay off. :)
    • TooSickMan
      TooSickMan
      Basic
      I never said i would crush it or i crushed,i said that i played it for days a while ago on those limits and i wasnt that bad.The part of variance,although im not a regular i can see how sick can PLO be,i had days where i made 200$,and the next ones i had to stop cause losses would be bigger :f_confused:

And when i say i want to do it for living,when it comes to poker,thats why i play it,i love the game itself,but im not rich to afford playing this for fun :)

Thanks anyway
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      plo8 is a good game to build up your roll in my opinion. less variance if you play well, very soft games as long as you pay attention to who the regs are. its not really that difficult to learn the basics and once you do you'll already have a decent edge over the field.
    • TooSickMan
      TooSickMan
      Basic
      I dont even know 8game rules,is that an active game?Only see it at higher limits
    • TooSickMan
      TooSickMan
      Basic
      Gave it a try tonight,playing really tight,opened 4 tables,all went sitt out on others 3 lol,too tired to play alot of tables,im only at one and im up almost 4 BI
      playing 05.10