Grinder from London.

• Qurion
      Qurion
      Black
      Hello,

My name is Dmitrij, I'm originally from Latvia, but for the past 6 years I live in London. I'm playing NL50-NL100 full time at boss media.

I've stated to play poker at 2008, and I was playing accidentally until late 2011, when I started to grind NL10 part time, combining it with learning at PS, as well as working on the mental side of my game(Jared Tendlers book helped a lot). It slowly worked for me, and now I'm grinding full time and I'm quite comfortable that this is my only income. However I'm finding myself an average reg of my limits, and 2bb winrate for a decent sample is like a dream for me(it is -1.2 for a past 250k hands.) Speaking about my strong sides I treat poker as job, meaning that I work on my game regulary and I can play 6-9 hours straight at 10-12 tables, with like 3-5 days of a month, or even less(For an example I've played 175k hands in January(30 days straight marathon:)

Being at the bootcamp is an excellent opportunity to learn from well known poker pros, and to share experience with other players. As well as improving my game, I'd like to make friends, with whom I'd be happy to stay in touch and work together on improving the game.

So I think that's it for now. Very happy to be here.
      Your Sincerely,
      Dmitrij.
  • 22 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Qurion,

How come you moved to London? How do you find it? Is it a good place to be a grinder or?

I just thnk being a poker professional is such a good job, you can literally live ANYWHERE, so many guys are in Thailand etc, but I love the hustle and bustle of the city, so think you have made a good choice.

OMG, you seem like an absolute machine, I think its really important to speak to our mental guys so that they can help you with your mindset, playing 30 days and having such big expectations re:volume is going to be very tough.

Could you tell us how much you currently study? When you study? How you study etc.
    • Qurion
      Qurion
      Black
      Hi Pleno,

Well I moved in London straight after school. I didn't play poker then, just wanted to get away somewhere, where I'm on my one and I can live my live the way I want it. I'm sure everyone who was a teenager would understand :)
      How do I find it? Well it is expensive(not crazy though) , and weather is not great. But here is a lot of juicy live cash games. Actually I'm thinking to move(lived here for too long), but kind of struck here for year(my girlfriend is still studying). By the way, where you would recommend to go(not crazy expensive, and good weather)?
      Is it a good place to be grinder? Well I'd say if you want mix online grinding and live poker, improve english and you like big cities - that is a good place. +If you are not sure about your bankroll you can always get a part time job(there is shit loads of them out here). But I'm sure there are a lot better places to live if you are successful pro.

I would love to ask about my mindset, but I not sure what to ask.

I'd say work on my game about 20 - 25 hours a week(I play about 50-60). I usually studying in the morning, before I'm starting my session. I'm regulary analizing my sessions(looking into marked hand + posting some of them on forums), analizing regs, watching videos and live coaching sessions. I think thats it :)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

Thanks for the reply :)

Ermmm,, Gibraltar ? :)

Seems like you have a good schedule and a really good life. Its so important having a balanced life, girlfriend, hobbies, friends, studying and then crushing. You seem to have it all so thats great.

Nice that you like to watch videos, my video comes out on Tuesday and we will have a live seminar in the evening too, maybe you can join in? :)
    • Qurion
      Qurion
      Black
      Absolutely :) What time is the start? Anything to prepare for seminar?
    • Qurion
      Qurion
      Black
      I was thinking about my mental game after today's session, and I reckon one of the strongest leaks is not trusting myself in a tough spot. I think Jared was saying that sometimes players tend to call when they think they should fold, just to see that they were right. That what is happening to me from time to time(I think it is mostly happening when my emotional level is high). I think the main issue is in my confidence level, what do you think? Can you suggest me what can I do about it? As far as I see it only comes with volume(slowly :( ), but maybe there are some exercises which can help me to improve my confidence level, and not to let doubt to destroy my opinion of what is going on in a hand.
      Regards,
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      1.not trusting myself in a tough spot.
      2. I think it is mostly happening when my emotional level is high
      3.I think the main issue is in my confidence level, what do you think?
      Hey Qurion!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions you can just post them
      here and let me know in my Q&A thread if I take too long to reply. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so I don't miss anything. :)

Nice to hear that you've studied the mental side of poker on your own with the help of Jared's awesome book. :)

Let's try to structure this up a bit and see how we can get to put some work in!

1. Can you give me a concrete example that shows up often in your game that relates to this. What it feels like, your thought process (negative or positive), the more you can let me "relive" the situation the easier it will be to udnerstand :)

2. What makes your emotions run high most often when you play?

3. I think that if you think it's a confidence issue it is. The fact that you come out and say so seems to me like you're ready to face i head on and do something about it. :) Before we get to the actual practice and work we can put in can you write a bit more to me about it?

Welcome to the bootcamp and keep up the good work!

Cheers!
    • Qurion
      Qurion
      Black
      Hi Erik!

1. Ok. So lets say I'm running bad for couple of hours, staking negative emotions, and am not playing my a-game for a while. Then I find myself in a difficult spot(3bet pot out of position, deep) vs nitty player. And I have relatively strong hand which is usually good enough in similar spot, BUT I've determined that opponents range contains almost only nuts, and I have to fold here. Then the ugly part comes, I hesitate, and actively look for a reason to do what I want(calling in this case). I usually find it in hope that opponent is trying to outbluff me from the hand(while I know that there ar none bluff in the opponents range here), that my hand is too strong to fold(in love) and so on.

2. Running bad, making expensive mistakes. I've done a lot of work on this topic(running bad/mistakes) but still I stack negative emotions, and at some point I'm tilting.

3. I think that I'm not sure that I've identified correct range, so I need to work on improving range reading. And overall I'm not confident that my game is well balanced. Would you suggest to me working more on technical staff and fundamental game understanding to increase my confidence?

Thanks
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by Qurion

1. I hesitate, and actively look for a reason to do what I want(calling in this case).

3. Would you suggest to me working more on technical staff and fundamental game understanding to increase my confidence?
      1. Why do you think that you hesitate in these spots? Why do you think that you often tend to "want to call"? Could there be a connection between this and Q.3?

3. Most definitely! But what parts you should work on is for the other strategy coaches to decide. But you should sit down and make a qualified guess on what your biggest 2-3 leaks are. After that ask one of the coaches if they agree with you assessment and their advice on how to work on them.

When you are a bit more structured then ill give you some tips on how to implement them in session :)

Cheers!
    • Qurion
      Qurion
      Black
      ''Could there be a connection between this and Q.3?'' What do you mean by Q.3?

I think because :
      a) I hope that I'm ahead and can win the pot(sometimes in the past, I have won the pot when I made stubborn(like this) decision)
      b) Want to win this pot right hear right now
      c) Being afraid of reading opponents hand wrong and folding the best hand

Thanks
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      ''Could there be a connection between this and Q.3?'' What do you mean by Q.3?

I think because :
      1. a) I hope that I'm ahead and can win the pot(sometimes in the past, I have won the pot when I made stubborn(like this) decision)
      2. b) Want to win this pot right hear right now
      3. c) Being afraid of reading opponents hand wrong and folding the best hand

Thanks
      1. This a common mistake people do unfortunately. They call even though they know they might not make the right decision short term. And if they are lucky they actually lose the hand, because if they win the hand they can then justify making the call int he future.

2. Try to write out the two most common spots when this happens and anticipate it happening if you can. Then make that your poker strategy goal to work on, improve your theoretical understanding of the situations. The try talking your thought process out loud so that you are more conscious and slow things down. In these spots since we don't like hey way we feel emotionally, we tend to want tog et it over with as quickly as possible. So try to slow the moment down to a crawl. This will take some practice but if you put you effort into it you will start to see improvements. :)

3. Would it be a bad decision if you did?
    • Qurion
      Qurion
      Black
      ok, cool, gonna work on that. :)
      Thanks
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Ok, let me know if you run into any difficulties on implementing it or getting it to work. Just drop me a line in my thread and ill come to have alook :)

Nice work so far :)
    • Qurion
      Qurion
      Black
      How go you suggest to prepare mental game when move up limit? I find myself having a lot of emotions, when I move, and it is hard to show my A-game obv. As well that's a reason I don't go up, how to overcome it?
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      How go you suggest to prepare mental game when move up limit? I find myself having a lot of emotions, when I move, and it is hard to show my A-game obv. As well that's a reason I don't go up, how to overcome it?
      1.What is it that is actually bothering you? There might be many things. Try to talk me through it so I can put myself in your shoes :)

2.What does your current moving up strategy look like? How do you decide, do you use a set number of buyins etc? What does your BR management look like?
    • Qurion
      Qurion
      Black
      I'll start with 2.
      I don't rush on moving up limits, perhaps I even stay to long. My BR management is quite conservative(8000bb+, excluding money for living(6 month in advance).
      What bothers me, is fear of having proper dawnswing on a new limit. While I accept it can happen, I still have a lot more of emotions while playing on a new limit which prevents me from my A-game. So my reaction is stronger towards whatever is happening regardless am I running good(trying to play nittier than I should, looking for reasons to finish my session faster than I planned) or bad(strong reactions for bad bits>even to losing few coins in a row, looking for very 'optimistic' spots>judging myself for unnecessarily/obvious mistakes etc.)
      So it is pretty much my standard reaction, just way stronger. As I see it, all I need is to give it a time, until I get used to a new limit, and I'll start reacting as normal. But before it happens, how can I confront fear of catching dawnswing, and accept the fact that I might come back to my limit?
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      I'll start with 2.
      1.I don't rush on moving up limits, perhaps I even stay to long. My BR management is quite conservative(8000bb+, excluding money for living(6 month in advance).

2. But before it happens, how can I confront fear of catching dawnswing, and accept the fact that I might come back to my limit?
      1. Yes you have a conservative BRM for sure :9 But that is not a bad thing in and of itself. But it does seem like you are a bit scared money in the way you approach poker which also shows up when ou try to move up.

2. When you have 5bi for the limit above take a shot. If you lose 5bi you move down. And you don't move up until you win those 5bi back (10bi at lower limit ofc). This way you have a "stop loss" at the high4r limit. It also give you practice of moving up and down. We want you to be comfortable with that. And also if you play lets say 6 tables, try playing 5reg and 1 from the higher limit. Just tog et used to playing there and see if the fear comes up. Don't worry about that you are mixing the limits. :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Dimitrij, I hope you are well?

How did you find Erik's suggestions, were they helpful at all? perhaps you can find time to post something that didn't help or work?

Have fun,

Mal.
    • Qurion
      Qurion
      Black
      Originally posted by gadget51

How did you find Erik's suggestions, were they helpful at all? perhaps you can find time to post something that didn't help or work?

Have fun,

Mal.
      Hi Mal, I,m good thanks.

Erik suggestions was great, as well as his videos, and I'll hope that will see some more of those at pokerstrategy after the bootcamp finishes. I'd like to say big thanks to everyone, for me bootcamp was great experience!

All the best,
      Dmitrij.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by gadget51

Have fun,

Mal.
      Hi Mal, I,m good thanks.

Erik suggestions was great, as well as his videos, and I'll hope that will see some more of those at pokerstrategy after the bootcamp finishes. I'd like to say big thanks to everyone, for me bootcamp was great experience!

All the best,
      Dmitrij.
      Hey!

Happy to hear the suggestions worked for you. The video series will just keep getting better and better... :)