[NoEmoti0n] Per aspera ad astra NL100-200

• NoEmoti0n
      NoEmoti0n
      Bronze
      Hello there!

I'm Anton, 26 years old, married, got a daughter. I'm living in deep russian province, in small town that is look more like village
      Poker is only income for me and my family, coz wife taking her time with baby.

So one of the biggest probs were regulary required cashouts, but for now it's almost fixed.
      Actually, im playing poker professionally since october 2009, so got some expirience. But if divide played time and hands by limits, it will about half on nl25 and 1/4 on nl50. On nl100 less than 10%, and i've never played above nl200.

There were multiple reasons for being on micro so long. As i said above, cashouts were one type of problems. Also i had problems with rage controlling, laziness, meaningless waste of time in online games, playing in nonoptimal condition(lack of concentration, effort, etc.)
      But for now i went through most of them. Today i'm feeling motivation to study and go above. Now trying to become regardless of the outcome in current hands/sessions and looking to imrove my theoretical knowledge base

My main goal is to buy a flat/house for my family. And other companions of the good life as car for example.
      Poker goals for now is to gain a foothold on nl200 and start building ladge BR for purchases or going up. Now im feeling really scared playing nl200, not just money, but game flow. Im totally out of understanding about 20-30% situations vs regs. So don't think im near to be ready to go upper, but im sure i can make money there while selecting fishes.
      So i need to become more tempted in wars vs regs, and move from bamhunting to solid game on any tables from this limit

I think main directions for me should be study to think ranges and fix a lot unfinished lines. In both these moments i feel like a newbie. Also i think im playing too passive, and have to change a bunch of check/call lines to bet/fold for example

So, i want to find good learning process in bootcamp, new study materials and maybe like-minded person who like to work hard

P.S> Sorry if my english is bad. Hope i didnt make a lot of mistakes and all i wrote is understandable.

P.S.S> Forgot to specify. Im playing BSS SH on regular tables. Currently mixing nl100-200 at PokerStars
  • 27 replies
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by NoEmoti0n
      Hello there!

I'm Anton, 26 years old, married, got a daughter. I'm living in deep russian province, in small town that is look more like village
      Poker is only income for me and my family, coz wife taking her time with baby.

. Also i had problems with rage controlling, laziness,
      Hey NoEmotion !

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions you can just post them here and let me know in my Q&A thread if i take too long to reply. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so i don't miss anything. :)

Very inspirational story! :)

What do you feel are your biggest weaknesses today when it comes to mindset and tilt?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey mate,

Your English is very very good, you most definitely don't have to apologise for it!

Truly interesting story, thanks for posting, I read it all and think you could have a very interesting development path here.

Firstly, how do you approach nl25 compared to nl100? Did you do anything massively different or play the same game?

Maybe its best to post a screen shot of your nl25 stats and speak about them and then post one of your nl100 stats. Generally if we play the same style we are not going to be very profitable. Do you mind sharing your current win rates?

Are you used to doing a lot of studying? Who do you speak about poker with mostly?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there Anton,

+1 to the super inspirational story!

I want to help you out as well, so I am wondering - do you still have any problems with motivation/laziness/lack of concentration/doing meaningless things? If yes, could you please describe them as detailed as possible :) ?

By the way, you've mentioned that you're interested in study processes - perhaps you could take a look at my Learning to learn video series? I'm sure that you'd find some new and interesting stuff in there which would help you reach your goals faster :) .

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

-Primož
    • NoEmoti0n
      NoEmoti0n
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ErikStenqvist
      What do you feel are your biggest weaknesses today when it comes to mindset and tilt?
      I think i've already outstriped events a bit and started discussion in ur thread

So already answered on ur question there, actually before u asked :D
    • NoEmoti0n
      NoEmoti0n
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey mate,

Your English is very very good, you most definitely don't have to apologise for it!

Truly interesting story, thanks for posting, I read it all and think you could have a very interesting development path here.

Firstly, how do you approach nl25 compared to nl100? Did you do anything massively different or play the same game?

Maybe its best to post a screen shot of your nl25 stats and speak about them and then post one of your nl100 stats. Generally if we play the same style we are not going to be very profitable. Do you mind sharing your current win rates?
      I dont mind to share stats coz i think it's meaningless, especially when coach asking. In fact it would be harmful for me and my studying :f_cool:

So i took a picture of my HM "By stakes" filter

These hands i played since april 2012 when came back to stars

It seems i didnt change something massively, except nl200 where i just came and trying to accustom to the environment

Are you used to doing a lot of studying? Who do you speak about poker with mostly?
      I cant say i do a lot. For now i attend russian PS platinum trainee weekly, reading hand evaluation forum and evaluate at least 4 hands per day

Sometimes discuss hands or analyzing session in skype with forum mates, but last 2-3 weeks didnt do it

Trying to watch VODs very seldom, coz unfortunetely they make me sleepy :f_frown:
    • NoEmoti0n
      NoEmoti0n
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hey there Anton,

+1 to the super inspirational story!

I want to help you out as well, so I am wondering - do you still have any problems with motivation/laziness/lack of concentration/doing meaningless things? If yes, could you please describe them as detailed as possible :) ?
      -Primož
      Yeah, sure there are many. Most popular is too often refresh forum favorites page, even during the session. Cant stop myself from doing that constantly. It's rather ridiculous when u're going to sleep or to eat for example, passing by by computer table and hanging on forum for hour or more

Or playing abstractedly just because i put goal to play 2 hours so cant finish earlier despite i got tired or lost attitude. Sometimes i cant play excellent for 3-4 hours and sometimes i have to stand up after 30 minutes if i want to play only perfectly. But how to produce big distances and habits to play a lot and good, if i would always make breaks as soon as i start session?

Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      By the way, you've mentioned that you're interested in study processes - perhaps you could take a look at my Learning to learn video series? I'm sure that you'd find some new and interesting stuff in there which would help you reach your goals faster :) .

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

-Primož
      I'll watch it
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey mate,

I dont mind to share stats coz i think it's meaningless, especially when coach asking. In fact it would be harmful for me and my studying :f_cool:

So i took a picture of my HM "By stakes" filter

These hands i played since april 2012 when came back to stars

It seems i didnt change something massively, except nl200 where i just came and trying to accustom to the environment

I cant say i do a lot. For now i attend russian PS platinum trainee weekly, reading hand evaluation forum and evaluate at least 4 hands per day

Sometimes discuss hands or analyzing session in skype with forum mates, but last 2-3 weeks didnt do it

Trying to watch VODs very seldom, coz unfortunetely they make me sleepy :f_frown:
      Very interesting, it looks like you played laggy at lower stakes and then a lot tigher at higher stakes. This is not necessarily bad, but potentially could be.

Your stats looks very decent, so nothing stands out as worrying.

I definitely think forum > skype when it comes to analysing, not only is it easier, but you can also look back over it and analyse how far you have came.

Do you watch many videos? I have a 200nl video coming out this week.

Thanks
      Patrick
    • NoEmoti0n
      NoEmoti0n
      Bronze
      Hey, pleno1

As i said in last sentence of previous posts watching videos is troublesome for me. But i'll try to do it in foreighn language, maybe it will help
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

for your tab refreshing problem, you can simply use one of these two addons: stayfocusd (chrome) or leechblock (firefox), and limit your time on the mentioned websites. I post the links to these so often, they should start paying me for promoting them :D .

for your second problem regarding long sessions, there are two things that you could do to reach your goal:

1. Optimize your energy levels. You can do this by optimizing your sleep, nutrition, exercise and recovery. Do you think that you could improve in any of those areas?

2. You can gradually increase your capabilities. For example, if you test yourself and find out that you can only stay focused for only 30 minutes, try to increase that time each session for a couple of minutes (let's say 5). Yes, this will involve a bit of pushing yourself, but it shouldn't be too big of a problem. Or, you can try to work on pushing yourself by forcing yourself to focus intensively for 5 more minutes after you feel like you've lost the concentration, but quit after the 5 minutes are over. This way, you will be able to slowly but efficiently increase your grinding capabilities :) .

There is one thing that I do not advise you to do, for example to force yourself to grind for 2 hours even if you feel very tired after 30 minutes of grinding. I think it's better to just do the 5 minute pushing and give up after that, try to go and do some recovering activities and perhaps start another session later on. Grinding very tired is generally not a good idea and can cost you a lot of money, without really improving anything!

Let me know what you think :) .

-Primož
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey, pleno1

As i said in last sentence of previous posts watching videos is troublesome for me. But i'll try to do it in foreighn language, maybe it will help
      Cool, cool, maybe you could join the live seminar instead tomorrow, if you don't understand something, then you can just simply ask me to re-peat it.

Thanks
      Patrick
    • NoEmoti0n
      NoEmoti0n
      Bronze
      pleno1, ill definitely be here :]

Schnitzelfisch, interesting, i'll try. But there is one more little problem. Greediness

I can say without exaggeration, my tableselecting skill is excellent, so when im playing usually i have couple of tables with position on really huge fishes like 65+ vpip.
      Also, on my limits it's not so frequent appearance and on such tables waitlists easily can be 12-15 regs
      So, if i've leave, i wont be able to sit at this table again in 15-20 mins.

So this situation looks to me like Sklanski described back in years in his book. I'm not sure i can repeat it word for word, but i hope it was something like that: "If u're lucky to meet really huge fish at ur table, u have to play until he leaves, even if u need to insert matches in ur eyes to not fall asleep"
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

yeah, I understand that :) . If you have huge fish on the table, it's probably very +EV to play even if you're tired etc., so that makes sense :) .

In that case, you still have 3 options to improve:

1. would be to take a 5-minut break (so that you don't have to leave the table) when you're really tired, although you might not like this option all that much, as you want to still play as many hands vs the fish as possible

2. you should really have enough fresh water, and some food (fruit, nuts, protein bars, beef jerky, etc...) next to your table, within reach, to keep yourself energized.

3. you can think of some recovery techniques at the computer screen which would enable you to stay focused for longer periods of time. Some ideas would be looking away from the screen every X minutes for X seconds (maybe 10 minutes for 10 seconds), to rest your eyes. Another would be to take some deep breaths. You could also try doing some stretching, etc. - take some time to think about these ;) .

What do you think?

-Primož
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      hm, let's try

First of all i should say i'm not total newbie in psycology. 2-3 years ago i had huge problems with rage overhelming me at the tables after badbits and coolers.
      So i started to read profiled books. I hardly cold find useful infomation especially for poker, but collected by small pieces. In about an year i become much more sedate person, and one day realized that problem is gone
      Now it could be a lot easier and faster with Jared's book, but whatever

Roots of current problem i think lie in these facts
      1. I'm playing NL100-200, but spend on living monthly around 500-1000$. So losing 3-4BI on nl200 equals month money for my family (poker is only income btw)
      So it's scary money. But on other hand, i got 40 BI of upper limit bankroll and playing 4-8 tables, so it's enough deep
      When i end up session losing 600$ i realize it's only 3 BI and im OK to continue playing. But when i think of it in terms of how much stuff i could buy if i'd spend these money in shop, it almost kills me

2. Also important factor is my desired goal: buy a flat/house. So every unlucky session postpones me away.

As i suppose some kind of plan could be antidote to this problem. But im not quite sure how to organize it. Because, in fact, this goal is to collect certain amount of money. However, from my expirience i could say that goals in $ in poker lead to failure. So there is a contradiction i didnt solve yet

Hope it's detailed enough :f_biggrin:
      I moved this post over here. Hope that is ok! :)

Ok so the issue here seems to be results orientation. And that not strange since so much is relying on you wining in poker, so there is a lot of focus on just this.

When you sit down to play a session do you implement any of these concepts?

• Warm-Up
      • Session goals for learning and improving
      • Post-Session Analysis

Cheers! :)
    • NoEmoti0n
      NoEmoti0n
      Bronze
      Going to watch this video tonight

And although Patrick didnt believe me, i met him a lot on NL100 tables, checked in HM :D
    • NoEmoti0n
      NoEmoti0n
      Bronze
      Schnitzelfisch, 2d options is default long ago for me :D

And on 1&3 should have worked

ErikStenqvist, yep, no problem in moving post. Yes, u right, result-orientired is my second name recently and i know this is bad. :rolleyes:
      Will try ur suggestion
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Schnitzelfisch, 2d options is default long ago for me :D

And on 1&3 should have worked

ErikStenqvist, yep, no problem in moving post. Yes, u right, result-orientired is my second name recently and i know this is bad. :rolleyes:
      Will try ur suggestion
      Some of this will be covered extensively in the upcoming video series :)

But if you have any questions don´t hesitate to ask :)
    • NoEmoti0n
      NoEmoti0n
      Bronze
      Started a small challenge, 20 hours of playing till monday without checking results. Reviewing only marked hands

What do u think about this

$1/$2 No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars
      4 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      CO Player4 ($273.74) 137bb
      BTN Player5 ($300.58) 150bb Att to Steal BU 45, F23bet 66, cbets IP 75/53/54, F/R vs donk T 48/29, AFo 50/32/25
      SB NoEmoti0n ($207) 104bb
      BB Player1 ($221.78) 111bb reg, sqz vs BU+SB 17

Pre-Flop: ($3, 4 players) NoEmoti0n is SB 10:heart: 10:diamond:
      1 fold, Player5 raises to $4, NoEmoti0n calls $3, 1 fold

Flop: 6:heart: 8:club: 5:spade: ($10, 2 players)
      NoEmoti0n checks, Player5 bets $6.30, NoEmoti0n calls $6.30

Turn: 3:spade: ($22.60, 2 players)
      NoEmoti0n bets $13, Player5 raises to $44.40, NoEmoti0n calls $31.40

River: 3:club: ($111.40, 2 players)
      NoEmoti0n checks, Player5 bets $72.53, NoEmoti0n folds

Final Pot: $111.40

Player5 wins $254.96 (net +$127.73)

NoEmoti0n lost $54.70
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Started a small challenge, 20 hours of playing till monday without checking results.
      Sounds like a good plan. What you want is to back that up with a solid strategy of when you do get the urge to do it. How can you actively combat it in real time
      ?
    • NoEmoti0n
      NoEmoti0n
      Bronze
      I dont know what kind of strategy that should be. I just put simple goal which i assume i can really achieve. One rule, dont pry into HM :P