Putting villains into ranges, how to get started

• sipox
      Hi everybody! I am currently very serious on getting good at putting villains into a range, and also (but that will come right afterwards), guessing my perceived range.

I have watched some videos, (i specially recommend http://es.pokerstrategy.com/video/27334 by Schnitzelfisch, awesome video and awesome series of videos, i strongly recommend everybody to watch it all), i have read some articles. And also I am starting to practise by reviewing hands from my database, filtering hands where there is a raise preflop and the showdown was reached. The thing is that i find it quite difficult due to the many situations there may be. Also i find that thinking process right now impossible when i am playing 24 table sessions, at least so in depth.

I would like to know how did you start to get better at this, how does it work when you are playing dense multitabling sessions. What is the thinking progress you develop in each hand.

For example, I am gonna show how it would be for me in a random hand:

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (UTG+2): $2.05 (102.5 bb)
      MP1: $1.11 (55.5 bb)
      MP2: $2 (100 bb)
      MP3: $1.84 (92 bb)
      CO: $3 (150 bb)
      BTN: $2.06 (103 bb)
      SB: $1 (50 bb)
      BB: $1.67 (83.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T T
      Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.08, 4 folds

---- Ok, this guy is a 8/6 over 250 hands, so pretty tight so far. A rock. So what is his range of calling preflop? He will only be playing the best hands, and although he doesn't look very aggro, (1.25 3bet), i guess he would not call with AA or KK. So i guess his range would be something like 55+, AK, excluding AA and KK.

Flop: ($0.19) 2 4 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.10, MP3 raises to $0.26, Hero calls $0.16

---- Ok, what did he hit there? A set? Maybe he has set of 6's, but the board is quite dry, i can't possibly have hit anything there except overcards or overpair, so why would he re-raise me instead of calling in position? So my guess is he has a small overpair, from 77 up to QQ, although i think QQ he would have reraised them preflop too probably; and his goal is to take down the pot asap before high cards come in later streets. So his range in the flop after his raise would be just 66-77-88-99-TT-JJ-QQ. Equilab says TT has around 53% equity against his range in that flop and he is giving me 3.44:1 pot odds, so i think calling is a good choice to see how he reacts in the turn. If he keeps showing too much aggression i ll give him credit for a set or a higher overpair than mine and i will fold.

Turn: ($0.71) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks

---- Ok, he checked behind. He obviously does not have set of 6's (we re supossing he is a rational player). He did not like that king, so i think his range is cut down to 99-77 since with JJ and QQ i guess he would have tried to pick the pot in the turn by bet/folding.

River: ($0.71) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks

---- At this point i didn't follow this slow thought process im following now when i was playing the hand, but if i had, the right option here would have been raising about 40-50% of the pot, maybe even less to try to make him call with third pair, or maybe induce a bluff. His range is 77-99 so my hand clearly beats him. Anyways i decided to control the pot and just check to him(probably to fold to a raise in that moment, although according to my thought process i would have had to call)

$0.71 pot ($0.03 rake)
      Final Board: 2 4 6 K A
      Hero showed T T and won $0.68 ($0.34 net)
      MP3 mucked 3 3 and lost (-$0.34 net)

---- Well the guy had 33, it wasn't in my initial hand range assumption since he was so tight and i did not expect him to play that many hands. Looking more in detail the hud he was a 16/9 in the MP, so if i had taken this into consideration i could have added the smallest pps and maybe some other high aces.

So what do you think about my thinking process? Do you do it like that? How can i improve my readings? I would love if somebody who has some experience with this already could give an example with a random hand of his own database following the process i did.

Thanks for your attention and sorry for the large post!
  • 5 replies
    • bmfbpi
      Sorry but stopped reading at ... 24 table sessions

On my phone right now, will post more when i am on my desktop, hate posting from phone !!!!
    • Tomaloc
      first off, if you have any longer term prospects, 24 tabling nl2 is just wrong.
      anyway, how to get better at this...

1. put some effort into detailing your thought processes (like you just did)
      2. post it on forums and wait for replies
      3. assimilate what makes sense
      4. ????
      5. PROFIT!!!!

too lazy to think about your hand atm, but imo these guys always call all pocket pairs because HIT SET MAKE $$$$$$
      and his "real" mp positional stats shouldn't be higher than his main stats, you can probably figure out why
    • sipox
      Wow i had forgotten about this post already, thanks for the replies :) Well right now i am not multitabling that much anymore, I am playing 12 tables of NL5 in the afternoons and 6 in the morning to train myself with planning hands and thinking in ranges better.

So you guys think that this expertise comes specially by poating hands in the hand evaluations forum?? Is that the key?

• bmfbpi
      Stop playing that many tables !!!! Seriously wtf

You are trying to drive a F1 car before you even got your driver's license.

The whole idea of playing a lot of tables is after you have a solid game and a solid winrate. You SLOWLY add tables to increase your hourly. You have no business whatsoever thinking about your hourly at NL2 and NL5
    • patszerdonk
      Maybe you're playing very tight and he intended to set mining