German Soldier Majestaet

• Majestaet
      Majestaet
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

Majestaet, 26year old student from Germany, is here!

What do you play?

Mainly NL100FR, but I want to start with NL50 SH now

Poker history?

I started gambling a little bit in 2005 on Party Poker. All in all I made a few $ there without any strategy. I played everything there (SnG, CG up to NL50 without the roll for it,...)

In 2009 a buddy told me about Pokerstrategy.com and I signed in there. I took the 50$ for free, started playing NL2 at FTP and started to read the strategy-articles. I moved through the limits without bigger problems and ended up at NL50 (a little NL100 was there too, I think). I reduced the theory to a minimum and were nitting around there as a "16tabling-rakeback-bitch".

I moved to Stars when FTP changed their rakeback-calculation. There I "improved" to a "24tabling-rakeback-bitch". I got some problems with my motivation because of failing at NL100 two times (I cleared some bonusses at FTP with NL100 and a good winrate at this time).

I dont know exactly what changed then, but since more than 1,5 years I am on a good way. I beat NL100FR with a little winrate on a big samplesize and think that NL200 should be possible, too. Roll is big enough for a try and I will start with it soon. I dont know if it is just reducing my number of tables to ~14 or the try to loose up a little bit (I played 12/10 for a long time) or whatever.

Since yesterday I am a NL50SH poker player :D

Goals and aspirations for poker?

I do not have special goals. I want to beat NL200 with a positive winrate in the next time. I am earning enough money to finance my study with poker. That is nice. A bigger hourly than a "normal" job would also be nice...

What do you struggle with?

Sometimes with my motivation. Playing while a bad run is often not easy for me. And I am rarely able to motivate for some theory!

What do you want to get out of the bootcamp?

At the moment I want to do some more theory. I read "The quick guide to skyrocketing your poker and life productivity" (The quick guide to skyrocketing your poker and life productivity - COMPLETED!) and implemented a few suggestions from there. I am also reading "The mental Game" from Jared Tendler at the moment. I want to use a few advices from the guide and the book in the next time. I think this could fix my motivational problems.

But I also want to improve some "classical" poker skills! I started with posting some hands in the hand evaluation-threads. And I wanted to start with regurlarly watching some strategyvideos ans stuff like this. Then I read about the bootcamp and thought this would be perfect for me! Playing 6max was something I had in mind to try sometimes. So it is not a big problem that this does not fit exactly to me as a FR-player. And I think it is perfect for me that I get some instructions and will be guided and observed by some other people.

Edit: I want to bring my SH-skills to a solid level, maybe the same as my FR-skills. Hopefully I can improve my "overall"pokerskills (independant from SH or FR or whatever) a little bit. And after the bootcamp and want to know what I do like more and set my focus on: 6max or 9max.
  • 31 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

Thanks for joining the dark side.

That was a really easy read and I enjoyed it.

Full ring and 6max are indeed different, looking forward to seeing your stats after some volume to find some very quick leaks that stand out.

Schnitzelfisch will also be around to keep an eye on you ;)
    • Majestaet
      Majestaet
      Bronze
      Thanks for answering. I try to grind a little today and tomorrow and will post some stats.

I also decided to move to NL100, because it seems surprisingly fishy at NL50. Weekend and Stars-Milestone-Promo may be the reasons, but I will try how it works on NL100...especially after thr promo.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Alright, cool. Good luck man.
    • Majestaet
      Majestaet
      Bronze
    • Majestaet
      Majestaet
      Bronze
      A bunch of hands. Not all of them need to be evaluated. And I dont want to go to deep into analysis right now. It would nice to know if they are "nh" or if there is a big mistake and a standard way to play the hand. Because of being new to the limit I do not have many stats and notes...

#1 (Semi)-Bluffpush to Cold4Better in the blinds

Maybe-Fish (52/26; BU-Steal 2/3; 31hands) steals, I resteal, reg (22/19; 3Bet8; 4Bet 14; >1000hands (must be from FR-tablkes with empty seats)) cold4bettet...

Resteal or call the fish? Push ok or wrong hand for this move?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.5/$1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $141.04
      SB (Hero):
      $106.36
      BB:
      $110.28
      MP2:
      $198.07
      MP3:
      $193.85
      CO:
      $100.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, K.
      3 folds, BU raises to $2.00, Hero raises to $7.00, BB raises to $16.88, BU folds, Hero raises to $106.86

#2 Resteal with AQ vs. Midstack

42/26 (19hands) steals. BB is 30/26/3Bet6(43hands). Resteal should be ok?! But no ideas for the postflop action...

Play hand

$0.5/$1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $100.00
      MP3:
      $269.67
      CO:
      $139.98
      BU:
      $33.88
      SB (Hero):
      $100.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, Q.
      2 folds, BU raises to $2.00, Hero raises to $5.50, BB folds, BU calls $3.50.

Flop: ($12) 4, K, K (2 players)
      Hero bets $6.00, BU calls $6.00.

Turn: ($24) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $22.38, Hero calls $22.38.

River: ($68.76) 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: $68.76.

#3 ATs (BU-steal) vs. big resteqal from 33bb-Stack

25/25; 16 hands; Resteal is very big...and do not have much FE with my push...but fold with ATs would be weak...and Call? Pushing the hit, giving up if not...not sure what to do...

Play hand

Known players:
      BU (Hero):
      $121.86
      SB:
      $33.30
      BB:
      $100.00
      MP2:
      $161.91
      MP3:
      $106.50
      CO:
      $199.70

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, T.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $2.50, SB raises to $9.00, BB folds, Hero raises to $45.00, SB calls $24.30.

Final Pot: $79.3.

#4 Downcalling TP with A3 vs unknown

Openraiser and Coldcaller are completely unknown. Call pre should be ok (squeeze vs. unknown would be my 2nd choice). Flop is a call, too. I think I would gave up on a blank on the Turn...but the gutshot let me call...ok? On the river it is just a bluffcatcher...I need 30%...easy Fold?! (Although I do hate c/c + c/c +c/f)

Play hand

Known players:
      BU:
      $121.70
      SB:
      $136.77
      BB (Hero):
      $100.00
      MP3:
      $161.42
      CO:
      $117.72

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3, A.
      MP3 raises to $3.00, CO folds, BU calls $3.00, SB folds, Hero calls $2.00.

Flop: ($9.5) A, 7, 2 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $6.00, BU folds, Hero calls $6.00.

Turn: ($21.5) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $15.50, Hero calls $15.50.

River: ($52.5) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $38.80, Hero calls $38.80.

Final Pot: $130.1.

#5 Coldcall and raise the squeezer with AQo

Fish 100/25(12hands) limps; 24/17 (29hands) raises. Should I raise or call? I called, because I think it was most important not to banish the fish.
      41/28/3Bet 0 (29hands) squeezes big (more than 4times the Raisesize with a 80bb-Stack). Pushing is ok here?!
      nh?

Play hand

Known players:
      BB:
      $81.21
      MP2:
      $104.44
      MP3:
      $78.30
      CO:
      $112.61
      BU:
      $100.00
      SB (Hero):
      $117.61

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, Q.
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1.00, CO raises to $4.00, BU folds, Hero calls $3.50, BB raises to $17.50, 2 folds, Hero raises to $112.00, BB calls $63.71.

Flop: ($198.21) 8, 5, 8 (2 players)

Turn: ($198.21) 6 (2 players)

River: ($198.21) 8 (2 players)

Final Pot: $198.21.

#6 AQs; TP vs. 3barrels (bit similar to #4)

27/21; CBet Flop/Turn 67(6/9)/0(0/2) is openraising. I am just calling, because two fish (38/4 + 83/4) are sitting in the blinds. Openraiser barrels three times relatively big (Turn and River >3/4Pot). AK and some 9x are in his range...I am not sure if he would bet weaker Aces that big...--->Fold Turn or River?

Play hand

Known players:
      CO:
      $108.21
      BU (Hero):
      $124.69
      SB:
      $120.48
      BB:
      $40.43
      MP3:
      $44.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q, A.
      MP3 folds, CO raises to $2.48, Hero calls $2.48, SB calls $1.98, BB calls $1.48.

Flop: ($9.92) 9, A, 9 (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, CO bets $7.00, Hero calls $7.00, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($23.92) 2 (2 players)
      CO bets $18.00, Hero calls $18.00.

River: ($59.92) 8 (2 players)
      CO bets $46.50, Hero calls $46.50.

Final Pot: $152.92.
    • imfromsweden007
      imfromsweden007
      Bronze
      I would just fold to his 4bet in hand 1. I would like a pretty decent read that he is capable (and likely) of cold 4betting in order for me to consider anything other than a fold here. He's just not going to get out of line that often I don't think. Also, are you always 3betting KJs here? Because normally we want to just call our broadway cards, as people tend to be quite tight vs 3bets.

Second hand I would 3bet bigger pre, even though he only has 30 big blinds. If he's a real pro midstacker I guess sizing is ok-ish, but more likely this guy is just some random fishy guy, so getting in as much money as possible preflop seems like a good idea. So I'd proably go 6.5-7$ or so.

In hand three, why are we 4betting ATs here in position? Why not just call and play postflop, our hand is definitely strong enough.

glgl
    • Majestaet
      Majestaet
      Bronze
      Thx!

Originally posted by imfromsweden007
      I would just fold to his 4bet in hand 1. I would like a pretty decent read that he is capable (and likely) of cold 4betting in order for me to consider anything other than a fold here. He's just not going to get out of line that often I don't think. Sounds solid! Also, are you always 3betting KJs here? I am doing it to often, I think. In the review I noticed that, too. But in this case I would like to isolate the fish. Building a pot with KJs against this guy seemed to me +EV. Against a better player I would just Call. But even in the review I was unsure what would be the best... Because normally we want to just call our broadway cards, as people tend to be quite tight vs 3bets.

Second hand I would 3bet bigger pre, even though he only has 30 big blinds. If he's a real pro midstacker I guess sizing is ok-ish, but more likely this guy is just some random fishy guy, so getting in as much money as possible preflop seems like a good idea. So I'd proably go 6.5-7$ or so.
      Sounds good!

In hand three, why are we 4betting ATs here in position? Why not just call and play postflop, our hand is definitely strong enough. I would feel uncomfortable to play a pot of ~18$ against a 24$-Stack. It is hard for me to play such spots correct without a hit on the flop (or maybe I play these spots correct, but only feel not good while doing so)

glgl
    • imfromsweden007
      imfromsweden007
      Bronze
      Oh right, sorry that was my fault for not noticing stacksizes. I agree that versus a midstacker 4betting seems like a better option.

In hand 4 I probably fold turn. His sizing seems very scary. Versus a smaller sizing I would actually consider turning our hand into a bluff by check/raising turn and shoving river, but since he bets this big I think his range is weightened towards stronger hands, against which taking off would be a very bad idea.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hye there Majestaet, wie gehts :D ?

I see that you've applied some stuff from the productivity guide, that's awesome! Could you perhaps mention which advice helped you change your life the most?

I will be working within the bootcamp as well, so please let me know if you have any other productivity/mindset/learning problems or areas of your life which you would like to optimize - I would be happy to help you out!

By the way, I see that you have some motivational problems - do you have a super-detailed vision and mission statement written yet which you review daily?

-Primož
    • Majestaet
      Majestaet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hye there Majestaet, wie gehts :D ?

Hi Schnitzelfisch, mir gehts gut :)

I see that you've applied some stuff from the productivity guide, that's awesome! Could you perhaps mention which advice helped you change your life the most?

I adopted a few things from your guide. I drink much more water than before: I start the day with drinking some water and near all places, where I do spent much time, always a bottle of water is standing. I also tried to make some new habbits (e.g. each morning I look at marked hands in PokerTracker from the day before). I stopped spending time for little online computer games. So a few things went better than before, but there are still many things to do (It is planned to go through your guide again soon and adopt more things).

I will be working within the bootcamp as well, so please let me know if you have any other productivity/mindset/learning problems or areas of your life which you would like to optimize - I would be happy to help you out!

By the way, I see that you have some motivational problems - do you have a super-detailed vision and mission statement written yet which you review daily?

I have done this vision statement, but I dont go through it often...but I will make a habbit out of looking through it daily ;)
      Motivation is at a critical point at the moment...all in all the year was ok on Jan. and Feb. (except I am not on my volume pace), but my first SH-experiences were ugly...more than 10stacks down at NL100 in less than 10k hands. And I am not sure about my skill level there...reduced the number of tables from 9 to 7 and hope that this will work...otherwise I will move down to NL50 and have to do some SH-basics...that not what I want...

-Primož
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there again,

thanks for sharing the info :) . Yep, reviewing the vision constantly and holding yourself accountable for it will help you out a lot.

Also, whenever you are taking up a new habit or you decide that you want to change something about yourself, you should ad that to the vision statement as well ;) .

I will let Erik know to visit your thread, so that you get some mental game advice asap and manage to improve your confidence levels :) .

Take care!

-Primož
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Hello Majestaet!

Welcome to the bootcamp!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions you can just post them
      here and let me know in my Q&A thread if I take too long to reply. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so I don't miss anything. :)

So when it comes to the topics I focus on what would you say is the thing you would like to address first?
    • Majestaet
      Majestaet
      Bronze
      Thx to Schnitzelfisch.

@Erik

Hi,

thanks for visiting my thread.

Answering your question:

Maybe mindset would be my choice. Sometimes I do have some confidence problems when losing a few stacks and become unsure about my game. Especially when trying something new (after a few 100k hands NL100FR I am sure to beat it, this is not a big problem anymore), I am not sure about my skill and do have a lack of confidence. Playing NL100SH now for the first time is such a situation. I know that SH has more and bigger swings than FR, I know that it is just bad luck to run a few stacks under EV and I am just 11 stacks down (5-6 under EV)...this should not be a problem normally. But everytime someone "outplays" me (pushing against my 4bet-bluff in the blinds, raising my "Air"-Cbet,...) I am unsure about my game (especially when running bad).
    • Majestaet
      Majestaet
      Bronze
      Here are some information about ~10k hands NL100SH. Any obvious big leaks that need to be fixed asap? DO you need more information for the analysis?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is the graph:

• imfromsweden007
      imfromsweden007
      Bronze
      The first thing that stands out to me is the fact that you're way too tight from the later positions, especially button. Generally you want your VPIP from that position to be around 35%+ at least. This is also reflected in your steal %, which seems to be only 33%. You definitely want to increase that to at least 40%.

It also seemsl ike you cbet too much on the flop only to give up on the turn. I would say aim for a cbet flop % between 60-70%, and then follow through on the turn 50-55%. Your fold to cbet stat seems low as well, only 44%, respectively 26% on the flop and turn. Even river seems kinda low with only 43.75%. I guess it is to be expected that you fold less since you play tighter than normal and therefore have a stronger range, but I still think this is slightly too low in order for it to be optimal. This is also reflected on your WTSD and W$SD stats. You win way too little when you get to showdown compared to how often you get to showdown! This is hard to easily change, but basiclly I would say work on your handreading so you don't make as many incorrect folds/calldowns. Also make sure you don't valuebet too thinly!

I guess these are the main things I see when I take a look at the stats you post. If you wonder anything about what I just wrote, don't hesitate to ask.
    • ZioMio
      ZioMio
      Basic
      I agree with most of the IFS post so im not going to repeat what he said, but your fold to 3b, if im reading it correctly seems like way to high, specially from sb which is 95%. Overall your fold to 3b is also high at 75%, this could be right if noone is exploiting you because youre so tight pre. If I see someone with fold to 3b 75% i just 3b them untill they start defending wider as I get great odds 3betting ATC.

Thing with just looking at your stats is that we dont get the whole picture, we dont know if someone is trying to exploit your fold to 3b so its hard to tell you fold more or fold less. You have to take into consideration how much someone is 3betting and try to adjust accordingly.
    • Majestaet
      Majestaet
      Bronze
      thanks for replying imfromsweden and ZioMio.

I will try to focus and improve the mentioned points.

@ZioMio
      The Fold3Bet-Stat was a stupid mistake of me! (It also counts my folds even if I am not VPIPing) I think the "Fold3Bet when raised-Stat" is needed. This is overall ~50%. Should be ok.
      Sorry for that.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Maybe mindset would be my choice.
      Hey!

If you look at "Mindset" as the umbrella that all forms of tilt, warm-up, hesitation to grind, bankroll management etc fall under. The same way as the "pokerstrategy umbrella" has 3b, 4b, C-Betting and preflop ranges for example under it.

What specific parts of your mindset do you feel you are struggling with the most?
    • Majestaet
      Majestaet
      Bronze
      Hi Erik,

I would say I am struggling most with my confidence. After a few losing session I am often unsure about my game (even on my preferred limit, where I proved my skill for a few 100k hands). Instead of grinding like a robot and just waiting for good side of variance to come, I am thinking about my game too much and unneccessarily try to change things in my game. I also avoid to move up limits too fast, I think the reason is that failing there would destroy my confidence.