Space cowboy

• b1Tb
      b1Tb
      Bronze
      Hi, my name is Kori and i'm a Space cowboy. Anyway i played short stack for a long time up to nl2k, then gradualy moved to middle stack, and now i'm stuck trying to beat nl100 big stack 6-handed.

I have two major problems: 1. stupid mistakes, 2. lack of skill in some spots. First problem results in my showdown winings jumping like crazy up and down. Second problem results in lower winrate obviously.
      I hope Bootcamp will help me with this problems.

Now i'll try to describe my problems more detailed.
      Stupid mistakes - why do i make them and how to avoid them? I rarely tilt - that's not the problem. My mistakes are obvious to me and the problem is in the way of thinking. At some point I stop thinking about the hand and the opponent but instead I start thinking that generally with this hole cards and this flop I should be winning/losing. And that leads to wrong decisions, because I stop analyzing the line and range of my opponent and usually go to showdown with too wide or narrow range.
      Lack of skill in some spots. I find hard to play 3/4bet pots and blind defense. In 3/4bet pots it's hard for me to define my opponents range and connect that range with my opponents actions. And because of that I can't figure out counter-strategy. I'm too passive in 3/4 bet pots.
      In blind defense I'm too tight. I can 3bet alot against players with >60% fold to 3bet and 3bet balanced range against players with lower fold to 3bet, but I seldom call against steal. It is hard to play with wide ranges because it is harder to define value/bluff/half-bluff parts of my and opponents ranges.

And some graphs and stats:

• 14 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

Looking forward to this blog. I've actually done coaching with quite a few ex MSS guys who now are trying to play BSS.

One of the main ways we make money except coolering regs is winning money off fish. Fish usually play weird/shorter stack sizes, make sure that you think in a vacuum against the fish and not try to play super unexploitably as if you were playing against an MSS reg.

Your current 3bet % could definitely be increased, you said that you were unsusre what to do in 3bet pots, maybe you could post some hands with the spots that you were really unsure about.

You say you make mistakes but don't tilt, maybe you're playing too many tables, how many are you normally playing? Which site are you playing at?

gl :)
    • b1Tb
      b1Tb
      Bronze
      I think I'm pretty good, when playing against fish. I payed much attention to that part game. I know how to isolate, how to 3bet fish for value and how to postflop against weak players.
      And I don't think that multitabling is the problem. Since I moved from Ipoker to PStars several months ago it became much easier. Time banks on PStars are very nice and I always have time to think in tough situations.
      I want to stop losing my money to regulars.
      I started to look through hands I played in 3bet pots in last couple months and I understood that I have problems in 3bet pots when I call 3bet preflop.
      Some hands for example:

1. Villain

$0.5/$1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $105.32
      SB:
      $206.15
      BB:
      $167.83
      MP2:
      $102.00
      MP3:
      $100.00
      CO (Hero):
      $103.59

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, T.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $2.50, BU folds, SB raises to $9.00, BB folds, Hero calls $6.50.

Flop: ($19) K, 5, K (2 players)
      SB bets $9.97, Hero calls $9.97.

Turn: ($38.94) Q (2 players)
      SB bets $20.45, Hero ?.

And what to do on river?

2. Villain is unknown regular player.

Known players:
      BU:
      $109.65
      SB:
      $117.59
      BB:
      $124.55
      MP2:
      $259.17
      MP3 (Hero):
      $98.50
      CO:
      $119.51

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J, A.
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $2.50, CO folds, BU raises to $5.50, 2 folds, Hero calls $3.00.

Flop: ($12.5) 4, 6, 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $6.50, Hero raises to $18.00, BU calls $11.50.

Turn: ($48.5) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $26.00, BU calls $26.00.

River: ($100.5) Q (2 players)
      Hero ?
    • imfromsweden007
      imfromsweden007
      Bronze
      Hi,

Hand one seems fine, I'd call turn and probably fold river unimproved. Don't really expect most people have the balls to follow through on the stone cold bluff there.

Hand two I would likely just fold flop. Reasoning is that his preflop sizing seems fishy, and I expect him to never fold an overpair on this board unless we perhaps go 3 barrels. And even so, it's def not for sure he folds + we have very little equity and blockers.

As played I guess we follow through on the river, and hope we're not getting snapped by A8o :)
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by b1Tb
      Hi, my name is Kori and i'm a Space cowboy.
      Hey Kori!

Space Cowboy!? Infinite amounts of respect :D

And btw my name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions you can just post them
      here and let me know in my Q&A thread if i take too long to reply. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so I don't miss anything. :)
    • b1Tb
      b1Tb
      Bronze
      Hey Erik!
      Trying to play 60k of hands per month - and keeping my A-game through all this hands is a big problem to me. Sooner or later my game deteriorates to automatic level and becomes more bot-like. I try to avoid that by playing several more short sessions through the day. And there is another problem - SLEEP. I fall asleep in period between 2a.m. and 10a.m. and often feel like sh*t half of next day.
      Anyway, I'd be gratefull for any usefull tips.

About Space Cowboy - cool stuff

And some more hands played recently in 3bet pots:
      1. Villan is unknown fish. Is it Ok to call hands like Axs and suited connectors preflop in such situations?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Посмотреть в видеоформате

Known players:
      BU:
      $402.48
      SB:
      $49.00
      BB:
      $375.01
      MP2:
      $162.71
      MP3 (Hero):
      $95.75
      CO:
      $118.68

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 3, A.
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $3.00, CO folds, BU raises to $7.00, 2 folds, Hero calls $4.00.

Flop: ($15.5) J, 9, 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($15.5) 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $8.50, BU calls $8.50.

River: ($32.5) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $22.00, BU raises to $44.00, Hero raises to $80.25, BU calls $36.25.

Final Pot: $193.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a flush, ace high(3 A).
      BU shows three of a kind, jacks(J J).

Hero wins with a flush, ace high(3 A).

2. Villain is a regular player. Resteal in BB 21%, vs Hero 70%(10). Fold to 4bet 80. Obviously it would be profitable to 4bet here. I think that I should call hands like KJ,QJ,99,88 and 4bet Axo. Am I right?

Known players:
      BU:
      $237.40
      SB (Hero):
      $84.25
      BB:
      $100.00
      MP2:
      $87.17
      MP3:
      $51.09
      CO:
      $50.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, K.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $2.50, BB raises to $7.00, Hero calls $4.50.

Flop: ($14) J, A, K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks.

Turn: ($14) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $8.00, BB calls $8.00.

River: ($30) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $22.00, BB calls $22.00.

Final Pot: $74.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, kings full of jacks(J K).
      BB shows two pairs, aces and kings(A Q).

Hero wins with a full-house, kings full of jacks(J K).

3. Villain

Known players:
      BU:
      $312.81
      SB:
      $203.43
      BB:
      $257.12
      MP2:
      $19.27
      MP3:
      $184.27
      CO (Hero):
      $137.01

Preflop: Hero is CO with T, K.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $2.50, BU raises to $8.75, 2 folds, Hero calls $6.25.

Flop: ($19) 2, 6, 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $11.50, Hero calls $11.50.

Turn: ($42) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $25.00, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $42.

• ZioMio
      ZioMio
      Basic
      1. I think it's fine to call with bunch of stuff vs a fish when the 3b is really small and we get great odds like we do in this hand

2. I would like to see villains 3b vs sb because it's much more acurate then the stats provided, me personally like to sometimes defend and sometimes 4b KJ vs regs who have high 3b and high fold to 4b. KJ is good blocker as you are blocking AK and KK but also JJ with J.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global

1.Trying to play 60k of hands per month - and keeping my A-game through all this hands is a big problem to me.

2.And there is another problem - SLEEP.
      1. if it makes you feel any better it is that way for most players so from a reciprocality point of view you might a winner in his department but hard to say without knowing the specifics. What is it that brings your A-Game to the bot like state eventually? Is it long session or certain types of tilt etc?

2. On iTunes there is a free mindful Body Scan Sleep Meditation that i can highly recommend. Doing other regular mindfulness exercises every day will help the more you do it. Try it out and let me know. If you can find it just pm me or so...

Gonna check out Cowboy Bebop and see what its all about :D

Cheers!
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey Kori,

did someone mention sleep :D ?

I'd love to help you sort out your sleep schedule :) .

I would listen to Erik's advice as well, make sure that you find that meditation ;) .

Ok, so I'm interested in your sleep patterns.

1. How many hours do you usually sleep per night?
      2. Why do you think you go to sleep between 2-10am? When do you go to sleep at 2am, and when do you go to sleep at 10am?
      3. What do you do before sleep?
      4. Do you eat anything before you go to sleep? If yes, what?
      5. Have you tried anything in the past to change your sleep patterns? What worked, what didn't?

-Primož
    • b1Tb
      b1Tb
      Bronze
      I'm finally back.
      1. Usually I sleep 8-10 hours if I dont use an alarm clock. But sometimes it can be 12 or more hours.
      2. I dont exactly know why I fall asleep between 2 and 10 am, but I think that I just got used to going to sleep around 3 or 4 a.m. I go to sleep at 2 am if I'm really tired. If not it can be 3 or 4 am. Sometimes I just feel that I dont really want to sleep and then I am up till 7-10am.
      3. Before sleep I usually watch some movie or tv series or just play some video games.
      4. I dont eat much before sleep. Tea, apple, maybe a cookie.
      5. I tried not to sleep at all a day and then go to sleep earlier at 8-10 p.m. That works for a couple of days, but then I just gradually fall back to previous sleep pattern.
      Also I tried using alarm clock and wake up at 10-11 am. But in that case I still fall to sleep at 2 am or later and I feel that I dont sleep enough. And sooner or later I sleep through the alarms and wake up at 2-3 pm.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      3. Before sleep I usually watch some movie or tv series or just play some video games.
      This is something that keeps your brain active when you should try to do the opposite, calm the mind down. Video games are worse than movies because it is interactive. The best thing to do is use meditation or a body scan exercise that slows the mind down. This will help you fall asleep and bringing a calm mind that gets a higher quality of sleep.

Let me know if you want to try any of these. Just add me on Skype and i will make sure you get it :)
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      I'm finally back.
      1. Usually I sleep 8-10 hours if I dont use an alarm clock. But sometimes it can be 12 or more hours.
      2. I dont exactly know why I fall asleep between 2 and 10 am, but I think that I just got used to going to sleep around 3 or 4 a.m. I go to sleep at 2 am if I'm really tired. If not it can be 3 or 4 am. Sometimes I just feel that I dont really want to sleep and then I am up till 7-10am.
      4. I dont eat much before sleep. Tea, apple, maybe a cookie.
      5. I tried not to sleep at all a day and then go to sleep earlier at 8-10 p.m. That works for a couple of days, but then I just gradually fall back to previous sleep pattern.
      Also I tried using alarm clock and wake up at 10-11 am. But in that case I still fall to sleep at 2 am or later and I feel that I dont sleep enough. And sooner or later I sleep through the alarms and wake up at 2-3 pm.
      Hey again!

1. that's quite a lot of sleep. You could try sleeping around 8 hours constantly to see if you get better results.

2. that actually makes sense. If you don't go to sleep/wake up at a consistent time and sleep a consistent amount of hours, it's possible that you will become tired at different times and therefore have a really screwed up sleep schedule. Maybe something like this would work for you?

3. As Erik already mentioned, those are not the best things to do before sleep. They pull you in and drain your energy, but don't enable you to fall a sleep fast. What I would recommend is to go away from the screen at least 30min-1h before going to bed and perhaps reading a book to relax you and enable you to sleep well :) .

4. Those are things that won't fill you up, so your sleep quality usually won't be the best. It would be way better to eat a meal rich in protein (fish, meat, eggs, dairy, etc.) before bed, along with some fats or fibres (fruits/nuts/vegetables) :) . This will provide you with a steady stream of "food", which means that your body won't starve and your sleep quality will be better.

5. For sleeping through the alarms, take a look at this article. I generally wouldn't recommend you to not sleep for a day, as it should destroy your productivity.

What do you think?

-Primož
    • b1Tb
      b1Tb
      Bronze
      Thx for advices. I've read the articles too.
      Gonna try all this in next few days and see how it all will work out.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Kori, Let's hope we find you well?

Has there been any progress with those suggestions from the coaches you were going to try out?
      Obviously it may take time for some ideas to kick in, such as changing your sleep pattern, but perhaps you could post about some of the other things?

Have fun,

Mal.
    • b1Tb
      b1Tb
      Bronze
      Been playing a lot last week since I was behind my VPP schedule for 2 SN this year. Didn't have much time for anything else.
      Stabilized my sleep patterns. Now I fall to sleep at 5:30-6:00 am and wake up at 13-14. It's fine for now, but I think I'll try to move it to 1am-9am sleep in May to be able to do more stuff outside - like hiking.
      Now to the poker part. Since I was playing a lot my game became a lit primitive in some moment, non SD winings went down, but now I'm going back to my A-game.
      Also the seminars here are very useful.