[NL20-NL50] Fold turn or river?

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $18.25 (91.3 bb)
      CO: $20 (100 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $22.41 (112.1 bb)
      SB: $34.35 (171.8 bb)
      BB: $11.78 (58.9 bb) 37/2/4.7/0.0/36/42
      UTG: $19.20 (96 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J J
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, SB folds, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.30) 5 7 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.97, BB calls $0.97

Turn: ($3.24) 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2, BB raises to $4, Hero calls $2

River: ($11.24) 6 (2 players)
      BB bets $4, Hero calls $4
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Just fold the Turn. This is a classic bet/fold spot on the Turn, where players at micro-stakes are extremely imbalanced and they do not bluff-raise sufficiently on the Turn so this is a snap fold.

not sure if you heard of baluga's theorem, you can google that. If you have been lurking around the evaluation forums long enough you would probably have seen me mention it before.

good luck.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      I know of Baluga's Thm and thats exactly what I did in this hand where you actually ask me to call him.

Folding overpair to Turn Raise

I suppose you asked me to call there given the pot size/ bet size and odds to call there?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Those are not exactly the same.

Firstly I think the SPR is slightly higher here compared to the other hand, even though the villain is short here.

Secondly, check-min-raise is almost always way stronger than check-shove. I may consider calling vs a check-shove but I usually fold vs check-min-raise cos it's just the nuts way more often. It's the standard fish mentality to trap with nuts by making small raises as opposed to shoving which may be a hand which is merely semi-strong and may be trying to protect from overcards on the River.

Thirdly, in the other hand, your opponent's range is much more clearly defined as mid pocketpairs. He is not going to have so many 6X trips or 33, which should all be folding mostly Pre-flop. Unlike this hand where opponent can have so many boats/trips/straights

Thanks.