[NL2-NL10] nl10 SH KQo

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      villain is 47/27 over 16 hands so pretty much unknown.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $49.15
      SB:
      $10.09
      BB:
      $10.30
      MP2:
      $5.30
      MP3:
      $16.21
      CO (Hero):
      $12.09

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, K.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.75) 5, 8, 2 (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.40, MP3 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.25.

is the raise okay? his range is mainly overcards here and it's a bad flop for him to cbet. looking back i'm not sure how i should think about this situation...

how should i see this?
      1) it's a bad board for him to cbet, so we can make the assumption that he is often gunna be pretty bluff heavy here

or

2) it's a bad board for him to cbet but he still cbets therefore he can have draws, sets and overpairs that will not fold to my raise

thanks
  • 5 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

About preflop - I would rather consider 3betting here as a bluff against an unknown opponent. Our hand is dominated and it is offsuit so I think calling isn't really the best option here.

So, it's a bad board for him to cbet and he does it - what does this tell you? To me, he is probably having something. Also, I prefer to raise here with a hand that has some backdoor equity - for example KcQc or KsQx.

Overall, I would just fold the flop.

Best,
      Plamen
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      ahhh 3betting pre makes the most sense.

regarding postflop, do you make the assumption that generally villains understand what boards to cbet and what boards to check?

or is it the case that we are being cautious vs an unknown and that if we had stats on villain that he cbets most flops then we assume he can be lighter?
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well, against unknowns I would rather assume they understand board textures, rather than not since it is "the safest" decision.

Talking about board textures - what makes you think this is a bad board for a cbet in this spot?
      If you were in his shoes - what range do you expect an unknown player to call in MP vs CO situation?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hmm i'd expect unknowns to call maybe this sort of range:
      JJ-22, AQs-ATs, KJs+, QJs, AQo-AJo, KQo

i'd have a pretty tight range for calling vs unknowns but i'll assume an unknown range to be a little wider than mine so something like this would be my estimate.

and the reason why i said it's a bad board is because it doesnt contain anything that really smashes a relatively tight MP range like some J/Q/K or A, so the only made hands he can have here are things like overpairs and sets.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well yes, this board doesn't hit the open raiser's range good, but as you can see, it doesn't hit the calling range either.

Considering that the raiser would have a stronger range, he could easily put pressure on the caller's weaker range since he would have hard time calling down with a hand like TT here.